2019-2020 New York Islanders thread

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey Forum' started by CBG, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

And then a very disappointing ending - giving up a goal to tie it with 18 seconds left, and then getting to the shootout with 3 pathetic attempts to lose it. That's a big swing of +2 points to -1 point against Pittsburgh.

2. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Best game of the year by the good guys.

3. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Huge win. 3-0-3 in their last 6. Boston has only 2 regulation losses so far this year and both are to the Isles.

4. statjeff22

They need to put together games like this one after the other - it can't just be a one-off.

Rumors are that Sorokin will play early next week, and then be sent to Bridgeport so he can actually get playing time. Trotz doesn't seem to have much of an idea of how to use him so far.

5. JetBlue

Another good game for the Isles. Only a matter of time that Wahlstrom and Dobson really deliver on their promise.

6. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Another win 3-1 over the Sabres. 4-0-3 in their last 7.

7. statjeff22

Missed the game - did they say anything about Sorokin playing tomorrow?

8. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Haven't seen anything confirmed but considering the Isles and Sabres are playing again tonight I would guess Sorokin is in net. Tonight will also be 3 in 4 for the Isles so they have to give Varlamov a break at some point.

9. statjeff22

Sorokin finally looks like the world-beater we were told to expect, his first NHL win a shutout. 5-0-3 in their last 8.

10. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

Good game by Sorokin!

Red Menace likes this.
  11. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Good win for the good guys but they are all good wins. I am not sure when the trading deadline is but I believe the time is right for this team to add some much needed offense especially with the new arena on the horizon. We all know that the system they play is fundamentally sound and we have the greatest coach on the planet but unless they add offense it will be Groundhog Day. Can you imagine what Trotz would be able to do with a hint of offense or how good Barzal would be if he had anyone to play with ? I will take this little winning streak but as fans we are all well aware of the team needs.

Red Menace likes this.
  12. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Looking back I wish Panarin would have signed with the Isles. He would have helped tremendously. Speaking of the Rangers, David Quinn is lucky the NY media doesn't give a **** about hockey. If he were coaching one of the high profile teams in this area (Jets, Giants, Yanks, Mets, Knicks) from a media standpoint the pitchforks and knives would be out in full force. Look it how quickly both Shurmur and Gase were run out of town. This is what his 4th year and he still hasn't made the playoffs. Last year's qualifier vs Carolina doesn't count.

JetBlue and CBG like this.
  13. statjeff22

Both of these posts point to what to me is the biggest problem with the Isles - Lamiorello. You want to talk about the Rangers, @GREG , how about the free pass Lou has been given? What exactly has he done to make the team better, other than hire Trotz? I don't think he is the guy who can put this team over the top.

CBG likes this.
  14. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

SJ22,,,,,,you can make that argument about Lou ( and you have ) with no argument from me and Greg is correct if the Bread Man had not screwed us over I can only imagine how good our power play and the kid who won the Calder would be,,,,ahhh to dream,,,,,,,,,,that said Lou has this years trading deadline to make this team better other wise I am in your camp Stat,,,,,,,,,this team cannot win as constructed right now as they will win big games but IMO not the CUP,,,,,no matter how great Trotz coaches as we have seen this movie and we know how it ends

15. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I expected more from Lou as well. The Isles are in a tough spot with the salary cap but I thought he would have done a better job improving the offense. Bringing in Pageau was a nice move as well as Greene for the defense. To his credit he got some of our key guys resigned like Barzal and Lee for example. They did go to the ECF last year which is something that never would have happened with the 3 stooges (Wang, Snow, Weight). Lou must find a way to improve the offense if they want a serious chance at a Cup.

16. statjeff22

Yes, as @CBG said, I have been vocal here in my complaints about Lou, but I want to be fair - getting Pageau was definitely a good move, and Greene has been a positive also. I think your characterization of expecting more is actually closest to my feeling - maybe dissatisfaction isn't the right word, compared to disappointment. I hoped for more, and expected more, and in my view haven't gotten it. Far better than the clowns of the last 25 years (don't forget to add Milbury to your list), but not what you'd expect from a (deserved) Hall of Famer.

17. JetBlue

I dream too of what we could be with Panarin. We just need one more offensive player even remotely on the same level as Barzal.

Red Menace likes this.
  18. roboz08

roboz08 Well-Known Member

Devils fan checking in. I see a lot of you guys understandably voicing frustration with Lou's inability to improve the offense. Well, as I'm sure most of you already know, since taking over as Islanders GM he has essentially molded the team into the exact model of the very successful Devils teams from the mid 90's, early 2000's and the cup finals team from 2012.

That is: Outstanding goaltending, rock-solid defense, and hoping to win games by a score of 2-1 or 3-2 each night.

I watch a lot of Islanders games since my dad grew up on LI and is a die-hard fan (he made the mistake of taking me to Isles/Devils games in the early 2000's at Continental Airlines Arena as a young boy). It amazes me how much the Isles resemble those teams when I watch them.

I hope Lou can provide you guys with that stud goal-scorer to put you over the top, which is something he never really was able to do as GM of the Devils. The Islanders are cup contenders, I truly believe it. Barzel and JG Pageaue are studs but they still need that 1 additional guy to put them over the top, and no I have no clue as to who it would be. Good luck.

19. JetBlue

Bad turnover but a worse goal to give up.

20. statjeff22

Bad defense by Dobson and it's 2-0.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.