Darnold, Fields, Wilson, Jones, Trask, Lance

Discussion in 'Draft' started by NOVAJET, Dec 28, 2020.

?

Fields, Wilson or Darnold

1. Fields

22.0%
  2. Wilson

26.3%
  3. Darnold

31.7%
  4. Other - Explain

10.8%
  5. Watson: 3 1st's

9.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

fine then, switch them around...Pitts at 2, Davonta at 23! Actually put any player you want in there. My point was if JD keeps Sam, I hope we get a superstar at #2.

2. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Source? Somehow I doubt you have a PFF subscription.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. REVISion

This is equally unlikely but OK. Just keep making things up as you go.

Honestly man, it would be one thing if you consistently presented contrarian points that were backed up by anything. But it's just utter nonsense all the time.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

It's probably more likely than Sam being traded away for a '3rd round pick at best', which is your vision.

5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say Zach is opposite of Sam, it's more like as a prospect he showed the same big time ability as Sam, but even better, but without the major flaws Sam had as a prospect. Sam was highly rated because he could make every throw most QBs can't make, had a big arm talent, mobile, athletic, could throw off the platform, could get some yards with his feet, and had good size. These same things are true about Zach, though I do want to see listed size confirmed by measurements. Zach also does these things even better than Sam did, such as switches arm angles, seems to have even more power in his arm, had even more success with deep ball than Sam, etc...

However, unlike Sam, who on top of the good, had some very bad weaknesses as well, and never fixed in Pros, Zach does not have these weaknesses. I am talking about accuracy and TOs. Zach has #2 completion % from clean pocket, and had the least TO worthy throws of anyone in FSB. Compare that to Sam, who was not in top 20 in clean pocket accuracy and bottom 5 in TO worthy plays in his draft class. Sam's strengths are also Zach's strengths, and Sam biggest weaknesses are Zach strengths too! Zach is just a much better overall prospect. Thankfully we are in position to grab him at #2 without giving up any further assets this year.

6. REVISion

Let's just take Lawrence with our 23rd pick. See? I can waste everyone's time as well.

Saying Sam will go for a 2nd or 3rd round pick, as has been my stance, is in no way comparable to saying Devonta Smith will go 23rd overall. Plus that's just one of my takes, seemingly 99% of yours are completely out of left field. It should tell you something that a few of us thought you were literally joking when you said Sam would've outperformed Mahomes in the Super Bowl.

Yankjetfan, PJ4Ever and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

someone, I cant remember who, at a big media outlet ,recently had a mock draft with Devonta Smith going 14th overall to the Minnesota Vikings for what its worth.

I dont think its unfathomable that he falls. The mock draft people always fail to consider that linemen go earlier than expected. Also, this was a weird half season so there could be recency bias with Smith.

A year ago (when they played a real football season) JaMarr Chase and Jaylen Waddle were far and away the top prospects. Chase sits out and Waddle gets injured now they are a whole level behind Devonta Smith... hmmm idk ... the scouts might have something to say about that

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. REVISion

Even going 14th would be an outlier. To say he'd go 23rd would be an outlier on top of an outlier. He just won the Heisman and had arguably the best college season by any WR ever. He's also known for being a phenomenal teammate and leader.

Also people make dumb mock drafts on purpose because the outrage around them garners more clicks and views. The incentive for people who do mock drafts is to get people to look at them and talk about them, not to accurately predict how the draft will go.

HomeoftheJets and Pags2112 like this.
  9. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

Especially during this exact time of the offseason.

HomeoftheJets and REVISion like this.
  10. They arent even close to the same style QB & given a choice between college Sam & wilson..its Sam 10 out of 10 times.

Sam had instincts,anticipation,accuracy,arm strength to go along w agility & linebacker esque size.

Mechanics have made folks question his arm talent.Watch footage of him at TC..watch his high level throws. When he throws w a good base & is comfortable in his surroundings he throws a very pretty ball.On time,on a rope,w touch & anticipation.

Now why cant mechanics improve for a 23 year old who hasnt gotten good coaching since entering the league? Well it can. But that gets overshadowed by nothing more than Impatience & recency bias.Spare me the stats please.

The only thing Wilson has over Sam is mechanics & pocket presence. Sam is the better athlete,better instincts & when his fundamentals are clean has far superior arm talent. Sam’s worst ball doesnt float like Wilson’s hyped ones do.

Those “tight window throw” metrics touting Wilson are extremely flawed. The same metrics that crucified Josh Allen.Hard to fathom why folks take it at face value as bible. Colllege is not the NFL.You arent getting past actual PROJECTIONS.Sorry.

For one “tight window throws” are subjective.Secondly “tight window throws” at the college level are much different than that on the NFL level. Most of the examples shown for Wilson either arent really into tight windows or even more prevelant they are actually Interceptions in the NFL!!! Alot of his throws are floaters if we’re being real..

On to Mobility which is the same fabricated hype. Wilson has some silk on drop backs,can climb the pocket & keep his eyes downfield.But hes not a dual threat at the NFL level & has some stiffness outside the picket.Quite a few would be sacks at the NFL level based on tape.

So we want a QB at 2nd overall w one yr of production during a covid shortened season whose strengths are decent movement solely on drop backs,can climb the pocket & has some fancy PFF metrics that dont translate to anything meaningful? And we’re going to ignore multiple layers of off the field/medical red flags right along w it??

Riiigghhtt.

IIMeanDeanII and BacktoQueens like this.
  11. REVISion

How can you say this when Wilson had better passing metrics everywhere in college than Sam did? Better career passer rating, better completion %, better TD rate, much lower interception rate, much higher Y/A. They're the same height and Sam was 10 lbs heavier than Wilson is.

Borat likes this.
  12. I can say this bc College stats arent worth shit.

MoWilkBeast and Yankjetfan like this.
  13. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Above is basically your entire argument. You just threw all the historical accomplishments by Zach this year, all nuanced statistics out of the window because it does not fit your narrative. Basically all is fabrication and doesn't mean anything. By this standard, you can literally put down anyone. I mean I can make an argument right now that Mahomes, Rogers, Watson Russel Wilson, pretty much anyone you want is an absolute piece of shit, and just stubbornly stick to this. Logic and common sense be damned.

Well, it doesn't work that way. What Wilson did this year was significant in multiple areas, whether you put it down or not. The mere fact the guy just guided his team to the best rankings in 25 years, broke Steve Young's record for accuracy, was most accurate deep passer in decades, best in class in taking care of the ball, the list goes on and on. And he passes the eye test as well according to many reputable former players and QB coaches. The only thing that you said that I feel makes logical and common sense argument was concerns was injuries. That is significant, which is why I want to see his measurements and also results of any medical evaluations that Jets will definitely do. If he measures 6-1 200lb, I would be a lot less excited. But if he comes in at above 6'2", say 6'3" 220lb, that's the same "linebacker" size Sam had when he came out. He would be a lock for #2, and we are going to have ourselves a really nice QB prospect.

PJ4Ever, NCJetsfan and REVISion like this.
  14. So you’re basically taking the opposite approach & are completely ignoring the actual evaluation?? No matter how much you want it to college stats dont mean shit .If they did Colt Brennan,Jason White & Nate Hypel would be all pros.

15. REVISion

They aren't everything but they certainly mean something. Laughable that you think it means nothing that one guy was better in basically every relevant stat.

For the record I watched Sam a lot in college. He had the exact same issues he's had in the pros. Didn't go through progressions well, bad pocket presence, poor decision making.

Borat likes this.
  16. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

How can you compare Mahomes to Sam? Mahomes stats are out of this world and Sam's are pretty bad to be nice. However besides the stats you have to take into account A Reid vs A Gase and then T Hill, and Kelce vs whoever you want on the Jets.
    There is no comparison between the 2.

17. REVISion

No, he's using both stats and the eye test. You're completely throwing one out the window.

18. It means shit.

19. REVISion

Compelling argument.

Borat and PJ4Ever like this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Sorry, I have to disagree with you on this. While they aren't everything, they're only one piece of the puzzle, they are something.

Based on what you're saying then it's irrelevant to mention Sam's TO problem in college or that he regressed his sophomore year after having a very good freshman year. But wait, he still has a TO problem in the NFL because he has little experience playing QB, makes poor decisions, can't read the Ds, doesn't anticipate and throws late, and he regressed this year.

Stats definitely have significance. They must be viewed in terms of the situation the player was in and not in a vacuum, however. One must look at the underlying factors that may have caused or at least contributed to those stats.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.