Build around Sam

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Feb 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

You forgot to tell us which Ohio State QB was great.

2. boozer32

Geno Smith was athletic. I value accuracy and brains. Being able to read defenses. Its the hardest position to evaluate for sure. But with our new regime, I hope they make the right choices. Be it keep Sam and build around him or draft Wilson and build around him also. Nothing improves until the Jets can protect their QB and give him weapons.

barfolomew likes this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Why exactly are you assuming that Fields doesn't have the brains to go along with his athleticism? Not to mention at least in my eyes he's plenty accurate.

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Fields could've played in the Ivy League if he wanted. 3.9 GPA and 29 on his ACT (90th percentile)

5. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i think your reading comprehension may be a little off. they have a new coach, running a new system
    maybe it was the 3.9 gpa he had in high school or all the people who tell you how intelligent he is. i wonder if boozer would say the same about deshaun watson.

if anyone wants to see the kids character go watch qb1 season 2. the kid is just exactly the kind of kid you want to root for.

NCJetsfan and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

If you watch Geno speak and then Fields speak they are world's apart. Even just from a confidence standpoint.

HomeoftheJets, REVISion and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. boozer32

I didn't say anything about Fields in that post. Really if you want to come down to it I hope the Jets trade down and take Trey Lance. But I know they will never do that. They could keep Darnold and groom Lance. No rush to start

8. Jonathan_Vilma

So you're dislike for him is simply based on a stigma against Ohio State quarterbacks?

9. boozer32

Why is Watson even in the discussion? No way he is traded here so what was your point exactly?

10. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

If we're being honest it has my attention and worry, I fully understand that you can't really say that he will fail because the other QB's failed coming out of that school.

I am led to believe they have actually had a change of things at the school, sure I read that in a thread in here a little bit back.

But as a horse racing man, if somebody showed me the stat book that says a 5yo has never won the gold cup at Cheltenham in 100 years then I will seriously have doubts about the 2-1 favourite if he was 5yo.

Stats are there to be broken, of course.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Well I think the difference is that Ohio State quarterbacks have never been highly regarded because they're recruited as system players. That's why only one was taken rather high in Haskins and that's only because Snyder is a dope who wanted a hometown kid with a massive arm to lead them to the promise land. Otherwise he probably had a third round grade or less just like the Troy Smith's and Cardale Jones' of the world.

Flyer players. As @IIMeanDeanII has pointed out. He was recruited to be a pro style quarterback at Georgia, which actually runs an archaic college offense. He was the second highest recruited QB behind Lawrence for these reasons.

The system was a downfield passing attack off of shotgun play action with some RPO elements to it. It's not like he came from an air raid or anything like that.

And if we're being honest a lot of colleges have only recently produced good quarterbacks for the first time. Clemson's best pro QB before Watson was probably the immortal Charlie Whitehurst. Texas Tech? Graham Harrell and Kingsbury who are both coaches. Heath Shuler before Peyton Manning is probably Tennessee's best prospect.

The list goes on. Every school has a new starting quarterback every couple years. So there are inevitably going to be a ton that don't amount to much.

12. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I am completely off keeping Sam and building around him now. I was just looking at it from a complete negative outcome way, and there is no way to justify keeping Sam if you are Douglas.

Look at these negative scenarios:

Scenario 1:
    Jets keep Sam Darnold. He continues to struggle. The Jets replace him in 2022.
    -Zach Wilson goes on to be a star. Justin Fields goes on to be a star. etc.

It would be a terrible look. Completely unacceptable and beyond Same Old Jets.

Scenario 2:
    Jets draft Zach Wilson. He busts.
    -Sam Darnold goes to a new team, re-habilitates his play, and wins the Super Bowl by 2024.

That looks bad, but at least Douglas had complete justification to do that move. Sam struggled and had a rookie contract running out, Wilson was a good prospect, etc. They started fresh with Saleh, it just did not work out.

Having said all of that, I think the Jets are heading into a positive time for the franchise, and that includes at the QB position, but if we truly did take it from a negative view, no way you can justify keeping Sam. The risk is too big.

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If you value brains and reading Ds, then why would you want to keep Sam? He can't read Ds, and I don't think that he is very smart, or at least doesn't have a very high football IQ. There is no building around Sam. One has to have a QB to build around, and Sam isn't it.

Yankjetfan and REVISion like this.
  14. boozer32

Well, 4 teams think he can be "COACHED" up and want to trade for him. I liked him coming out of USC and even Unitas and Staubach would be viewed as dummies with Gase coaching.

15. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Even if he's "coached up" how much do you expect him to improve? The numbers say he has been the worst starting QB in the NFL over the last 3 years. Even a huge improvement would make him, what, the 15th-20th best starter in the league? Those types of QB's still don't win Super Bowls consistently.

I honestly can't believe we're still having these Darnold conversations. It's just so obvious that he's been awful and shouldn't be on the team next year.

NCJetsfan and Losmeister like this.
  16. boozer32

I'll give you a reference two QB's that got better with a better team. Jeff Hostetler and Trent Dilfer. Just getting a new shiny QB will not cure the ills of the Jets. He will have a learning curb that nobody will be able to predict. So why have the new coaching staff start from ground zero. Get Darnold or the new QB Allen Robinson and one more WR draft a real TE or Kyle Pitts and then let's see what they can do.

Pags2112 likes this.
  17. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Those examples are totally irrelevant because for every one of those guys there are 20 bad QB's who go to a new team and still suck. You're basically hoping Sam will be the exception to the rule, with almost no evidence to indicate he will be (considering he's been absolutely awful so far).

Let's say you have two lottery tickets that both pay $1 million if you win. Ticket A gives you a 5% chance to win and ticket B gives you a 40% chance to win. There are some instances where you will win with ticket A and not ticket B, that doesn't mean it's ever smart to choose ticket A over ticket B.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. Jonathan_Vilma

Difler was the ultimate don't fuck it up quarterback so it's a bad example. The 2000 Ravens pitched an unreal four shutouts and held their opponents to single digits points nine times in 2000. So that's a pretty poor example because we will likely never see anything like that again especially given the rule changes.

Neither Hostetler nor Dilfer became franchise quarterbacks. So if that's what we're hoping for out of Sam we need to move on and you made a point against your own argument.

NCJetsfan and Losmeister like this.
  19. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

The rebuild officially started when they hired Saleh. It all comes down to how they view the top QB prospects vs Sam and the trade value of both the 2nd overall pick and what Sam's current trade value is. We don't have to be thirsty this time .. We finally have options. We are building period. Who's to say JD/Saleh/LaFleur don't like Mac Jones over Zach Wilson? Who's to say they don't like any of them enough to pull the trigger that high or at all? Who's to say they don't actually believe in Sam or are fine to roll with him or another vet as a placeholder? Every draft has prospects with 1 Big Year of production and late risers .. It also seems every draft class has, "the best prospect since Andrew Luck." We have options .. Don't be thirsty!

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. boozer32

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.