Would Jets Regret Trading Sam. Experts Say Yes

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, Feb 10, 2021.

1. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Darnold isbthe biggest reason for the poor playcalling also. His lack of vision directly contributes to that. What are yoy supposed to do when Darnold misses open guys all game? Perriman can take the top off, thats his thing, but Sams pocket presence didnt allow that.

He was awful against the blitz. He was worse this past season almost 600 yards less and the oline that was improved from last season.

If you do evaluate the oline metrics tho, they were not that terrible. Just middling, nothing spectacular, nothing awful. 2.4 second pocket time pretty standard, blitzed 201 times about 11th most in the league, only allowed 58 hits, 4th higher pressure percentage, the jets had the 3rd or 4th fewest pass atrempts against pressure all season, with a very middling number of sacks at 43.

That tells me Darnold is a problem. I know youre not saying hes the answer but its not everyone elses fault. He has failed miserably. We had decent talent unprepared by a coach who was likely consumed by his poor QB play

I mean how much different can another coach be? They all teach the same fundamentals, and thats his problem. He has to learn fundamentals. I cant imagine Gase not saying Sam, fundamentals. Any coach worth his salt is saying that. If he needa that much help to play decently, then hes not a special talent worth keeping. Again not so much directed at you and your opinion.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

it's straight crazy...

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. Losmeister

i'd be down

New York Jets
    The Jets will trade QB Sam Darnold to the 49ers for second- and third-round picks.

Looking for a veteran placeholder, the Jets will sign 49ers UFA C.J. Beathard, who played under new Jets offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur in San Francisco. Capping the quarterback makeover, the Jets will select BYU's Zach Wilson with the second overall pick. -- Rich Cimini

4. Losmeister

5. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

The WR's don't throw themselves the ball. That's on Sam.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

6. Losmeister

are the "he's FRAGILE" snowflakes gonna melt atTHIS?
    "Lawrence moved up his pro day because he is scheduled to undergo surgery to repair damage to the labrum in his left (non-throwing) shoulder and wanted to be completely cleared before training camps open in July"

7. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Ya fuck the experts.. he doesn’t pass the eye test.. Darnold is a generational back up in the NFL. Take what we can get because we will be releasing him next year for nothing

8. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

If this guy couldn’t cut it in NY with zero booing fans in the stands and the benefit of shorter/controlled postgame pressers (where journalists couldn’t tear him a new one), I can’t even imagine the clusterfukk of a performance we’d get from him with that added pressure in future seasons.

Go ahead and trade him to some harmless city where he can play to his potential and all of the sudden become a quality starter...I personally wouldn’t give a sh*t because he couldn’t do it HERE...and that is what matters to Jets’ fans.

Bring in someone who embraces the pressure and thrives on it.

9. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Drop % increases with more receptions. Jets had really low amount of receptions. bad stat.

10. tooooon

tooooon Active Member

People are looking at this the wrong way. We WANT everyone to talk about how great Sam can be (whether it’s true or not). The more the belief is out there, the better our chances of getting a first in a trade.

REVISion, zace and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

i was just going to post this when i saw cimini....

i also believe that we will pick wilson at 2 and deal away darnold for a conditional 1st and a 3rd in this years draft.

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Any conditional picks earlier than a 6th are a disaster waiting to happen. Remember when the Jets traded Vilma to NO? A 4th rounder plus a 3rd rounder that could turn into a 2nd if re-signed. Vilma didn't get re-signed, hit free agency and promptly signed with the Saints, screwing the Jets out of a 2nd.

13. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Just about everyone is ready to move on from Darnold, the crazy part is that it’s not enough...

You have to also say he sucks, never showed anything in college or pro’s and is the biggest reason for the Jets plight or the Darnold haters come out in full force.

If you make any reference that perhaps he wasn’t groomed correctly by the Jets, you get crushed here.

It’s really an interesting situation as there’s a good chance the Jets land a 1st or 2nd+ so obviously the hatred is not based on reality / general NFL consensus.

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I could live with Fant at RT for one more season if need be, but hopefully, he can be replaced; otherwise, I agree that we need 3 new starters on the OL. The thing with Fant is that I believe it was his first season being a full-time starter. He struggled obviously and we need better play from that spot, but isn't it possible that his play suffered because of the pretty awful play at RG? The OL has to work as a unit. Each member has to trust that the player next to him is going to get the job done. Becton is the only one who played well for most of the year. Even McGovern was bad early. That could have a cascading effect. If the Jets add two quality starters at the OG positions, I believe that it's possible that Fant's play would improve. The Jets could release or trade Fant and clear some additional cap space ($7.35 million) while taking a $2 million dead money cap charge. If they can use that money to sign a better RT or another quality starter and draft a rookie who can start day one, fine. I think they'd probably be better off keeping Fant as the swing tackle and cutting Edoga as he has shown little or nothing.

I totally believe that JD will fix the OL since he is a former OL and having worked for Ozzie all those years.

There's no doubt that the Jets bad/awful OL and weak offensive skill position players have hurt Sam and the team, and have contributed certainly to his lack of confidence and poor play. I think Herndon being so bad for most of the season definitely would have had to have affected Sam's confidence in him. The Jets' WRs' inability to get open or dropping passes definitely probably affected his confidence in throwing with anticipation. I don't think one can blame Sam's missing open receivers, poor accuracy in general, poor accuracy on deep routes, and throwing into double coverage on the Jets' OL and poor skill position players. His footwork/mechanics play a part in this as do his inability to read Ds and make good decisions, although I'm certain that the poor play of the OL and receiving corps also have had a negative affect on his decision making.

Letting Anderson go was definitely a big mistake. Trading down in the 2nd round last year could have also wound up being a big mistake if he had missed out on Mims. Considering all the Jets' holes and needs, I can understand his taking that risk if it was just about trying to fill as many needs as possible. If it shows a willingness to draft offensive skill position players high, however, that will be a different matter entirely, and I will skewer JD for that. I believe that he is smart enough however that he will surround the new QB with quality playmakers. I think he has seen how 2nd rate WRs have hurt the Ravens and the Eagles and held them back.

I have high hopes for the new offense. It supposedly creates easier reads for the QB. I like the QB taking snaps under center and utilizing play-action passing. If LaFleur is anywhere near as good as his older brother, we should finally have a more consistent and good offense that will score points, perhaps in bunches if we get a good enough QB and the Jets will be aggressive.

I agree that Sam played much better under Bates than he did under Gase. Flacco is just plain bad now anyway. He was never that good to begin with, but he did look appreciably better than Darnold this year imo. He at least looked for deeper routes and completed the passes. He was more aggressive. He looked for Mims whereas Sam basically ignored Mims, especially the last 4 games or so of the season. That was nuts because Mims was usually open and he was the one WR that excels in contested catches. Instead, Sam would opt to throw the ball to Berrios or Perriman in contested catch situatons, which makes little or no sense.

I hope that Sam can get traded to SF or some team that has an excellent QB Coach and OC, if not a HC who will be patient, build around him, and be able to help Sam recover his confidence and guide him to fixing his flaws. He seems like a great kid, and was given no chance to succeed by the Johnsons' decisions. It would have been great if he could have panned out here, but the hiring of Gase was the death knell for Sam's career with the Jets.

SoylentGreen likes this.
  15. baalworship

baalworship Active Member

Daryl Williams is a FA from Buffalo. They signed him for 2 million off injury and he played like a 12 million+ player.

Jets have the cap space to go get him, offer him 10 million+.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

Yes, losing Anderson hurt Sam and the offense and it was a big difference. I think the injuries to Perriman and Mims and then their backups, lack of mini-camp, OTAs, and preseason hurt more than the loss of Anderson. Sam couldn't practice with Mims and Perriman for a long time so he never developed chemistry with them and confidence in them. Then he got hurt.

Saying that the Jets had no one who could get deep simply isn't true except for the early part of the season when Hogan was starting. You are right that in the early part of the season they weren't very good. Perriman is as fast, if not faster, than Anderson. Mims is plenty fast. Herndon can get deep down the seams. Berrios isn't slow. Even J. Smith and Vyncint Smith are very fast.

Sometimes, especially early in the season, Sam was running for his life almost immediately after the snap. He never had a chance to find receivers who were open. At other times, his inability to read the D and see that a blitz was coming, his lack of poise and feeling where the pressure was coming from hurt him. At still other times, no one got open. Then when he did have time and his receivers got open, he either didn't see them or panicked and dumped the ball off. Flacco was the only one who consistently hit long passes.

I definitely agree about how bad Gase is and how his unwillingness or inability to make adjustments constantly hurt Sam and the team. I think his and his staff's inability to teach and coaching poorly hurt the team as they weren't prepared. Perhaps Gase was coming up with too many new plays each week, because there seemed to be more than a little confusion among the WRs and Sam, their not being on the same page, etc. On one of the plays that JT O'Sullivan diagnosed in the video analyzing Darnold, there is a trips right formation. Either Herndon or Perriman, or both were confused and having a conversation prior to the snap, then they ran into each other on their routes. That is inexcusable on everyone's (Gase, his CS, and the receivers) part. It is a valid reason for at least part of Sam's struggles, and perhaps a very big part of undermining his confidence.

17. NCJetsfan

Wow, that's surprising even to me. They were much better than I thought.

Losmeister likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

I guess it makes sense to sign Beathard since he knows the offense, but is really good enough to start for half the season or whole season if Wilson isn't ready to go day one?

19. NCJetsfan

I totally disagree with this post.

I don't think that any of us "hates" Darnold. We just don't believe that he can turn things around for the Jets and that it's time to move on. I think that there has been hyperbole on both sides of the issue, just as there has been on the issue of trading for Watson. People are talking past each other. Look at the number of posters who say that we'd be giving up the farm if we trade for Watson when we still would have plenty of cap space to sign FAs and a lot of draft picks. Posters think that they have to go to extremes because they see the other side as being extreme. It's the same with politics in this country. Many people are at the extremes rather than in the middle. As with most things in life, the truth lies in the middle somewhere.

REVISion and bicketybam like this.
  20. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Nobody is open. when they block well. we’ve already agreed to this.

Perriman is a scrub. Mims was a rookie. and Crowder was playing with a bad hammy all year.

Berrios dropped multiple touchdown passes. Shall I go on. lol.

The WRs cannot get open or make any YAC.