Deshaun Watson Mega Thread (Volume 3)

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Brook!, Feb 5, 2021.

?

What would you give up for Watson?

1. #2 pick in 2021 Draft Only

7.9%
  2. #2 pick plus another 1st Rounder

24.6%
  3. #2 pick plus 2 other 1st Rounders

34.1%
  4. #2 pick plus 3 other 1st Rounders

5.6%
  5. To Hell with Watson. Stay put

27.8%
  1. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

Agree. It blows my mind really. "Wasting" 3 picks. And there seems to be this belief that the ONLY way to build a team is 1st round picks. Free agency, second round picks, third rounder, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th College free agents apparently mean nothing. If we trade for a top 5 QB and still have 2 first rounders and all of our other picks left ovwr the next 3 years and still can't build a team, we were fucked with or without Deshaun Watson.

Vida, K'OB, PJ4Ever and 2 others like this.
  2. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Every QB you named except for Foles is from a bygone era. It today's NFL you need at least a good QB.

I'm not saying you only need a great QB. I'm just saying having a great team and a mediocre QB maybe gets you some playoff wins and then an early exit.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

HomeoftheJets, NCJetsfan and REVISion like this.
  3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Browns got a QB who was bigger-than-life to help them shrug off the Same Old Browns vibe.

Everywhere that Baker Mayfield went in college he was doubted, he won the job anyway and he won big after taking it. You can't learn that, you either have it or you don't.

I think Mayfield is probably the biggest personality at QB to come along since Aaron Rodgers. I doubt he will be as successful as Rodgers has been but he's going to be a team driver wherever he is - just like Rodgers is.

Gremlin, CotcheryFan and REVISion like this.
  4. chad2coles

chad2coles Well-Known Member

I think the Mark Sanchez Jets are the perfect reason to go get Watson. For one, they only had 3 draft picks the year they drafted Mark Sanchez and went to back to back AFC Championship games. They had high level talent at every position group other than QB, but couldn't overcome Sanchez's bad play.

They've made the playoffs twice since drafting Sanchez 12 years ago. Including the Sanchez pick, they've spent the following draft picks on QBs:
    #6 overall
    #17 overall
    SIX 2nd round picks
    2 4th round picks
    and a 6th and 7th rounder

Not only does trading for Watson give the Jets elite play at the position immediately, but it allows the Jets to stop wasting draft capital on future QBs. Rodgers is pissed the Packers drafted a QB late in the first round when he was 36. That's 11 years from now for Watson.

Vida, fdcnyc and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Teams have never won multiple SBs with mediocre QBs. The goal should be winning multiple SBs, not lucking into one with a crap QB. If they're not going to try to build a team that can win multiple SBs, I'd rather they just fold the franchise and be done with it.

REVISion likes this.
  6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Look at the Rams, they haven't had a first rounder in years, and they still have a good team. Now imagine if Goff could play at Watson's level...

7. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Jets could trade three firsts and still have a first in each of the next two years, and would still have 7 top 3 rounders next two years. Bad narrative.

Vida likes this.
  8. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Uh, I’ll take one Super Bowl.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  9. HomeoftheJets

We could also be a 7-9 team with the premium draft assets.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'm just looking for a couple playoff games every couple years at this point. It's been that bad.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Alas. So both strategies will likely fail then since we're the Jets.

Yeah I mean there's also a middle ground. Sanchez as well was one of the worst if not the worst starting quarterback in the league. And he was poorly evaluated by a GM that made every attempt to make splashy moves and force feed the media and Rex everything he think he needed.

This kind of coincides with the thinking that there's no possible way we're ever going to get a quarterback in the draft that can win.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  12. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

McClain did another interview today, for what it’s worth:

NCJetsfan and NOVAJET like this.
  13. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

I will be so off my rocker stoked if this happens. Instantly the best QB the Jets have ever had. Pulled this off the Texans message board and nobody start with the that proves we need to build a team first BS. We can still easily build a better team than the Texans last year.
    "I'm not taking sides in this conflict. And I am not the least sympathetic towards any of the parties involved. The only point I've been making all along is that if the Texans trade Watson, there's no chance they'll be compensated fairly, because that's almost impossible, and; they'll regret it for as long as a McNair owns the team. As for the fans, if the Texans trade Watson, get ready for unwatchable football in H-Town again. Yeah, they lost a lot of games in 2020. But most of those were exciting games, solely because of the stellar quarterback play."

NCJetsfan and Snatch Catch like this.
  14. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

Let’s just run it back with statistically the worst starting QB in the league that’s been unimpressive in 3 years, hasn’t played a full season due to injury, scared to throw down field, with below average accuracy, happy feet, blown confidence, has yet to win teammates over (see Mims and Perrimans recent interviews) and will cost $25 million after next year. Cause that makes a ton of sense.

REVISion likes this.
  15. chad2coles

There is definitely a lot in between Sanchez and Watson. It’s just been such a 30 year stretch of terrible qb play brief exceptions of Vinny, penny, and fitz that it’s hard to believe Jets fans are so against filling the position with a 25 year old top 3 qb.

16. chad2coles

He's kind of all over the place in the interview, but he keeps mentioning 2 1s and 2 2s from the jets. So, #2, #34, '22 Jets 1st and 2nd round pick? That doesn't seem like the make it hurt haul he talks about in other parts of the interview. Maybe he's trying to lower fan expectations on what they are going to get back in the trade?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Has the last SuperBowl taught us nothing?

Yes, you need a good QB to seal the deal and win a SB. See Tom Brady.

And, yes, you ALSO need a stacked team, especially defense, to win a SB. See Tampa Bay Bucs.

You need BOTH. Just one or the other won't seal the deal. See Patrick Mohomes and the KC Cheifs. Close perhaps, but no ring. No flotilla parade. No tossing the Lombardi from one boat to the next. Nada.

If we keep all our draft stock and JD does a good job, we could have a stacked team really, really fast, and really dominant on both sides, but still no QB. Still no ring.

If we trade our draft cap for Waston, we could have a good QB really really fast, best in the league perhaps, but still no stacked team, especially defense. Still no ring.

So that...in normal times, it'd be a lose/lose. A good QB playing on a shit team, or a good Team playing with a shit QB.

So now we have to start stretching the boundaries like taffy or silly putty to see if we can still make either approach work.

Some say "We can get Watson and JD can still build a stacked team, even with less cap space and less draft capital". (you can hear the taffy stretching!)

Some say "We can use our draft cap to build a stacked team and JD can still find ways to get us a decent enough QB". (you can hear the silly putty stretching!)

So it comes down to "What's more likely?".

1) Grab Watson then build a roster with scraps, or 2) Build a team first then find a FQB with scraps.

I think from what we've all seen from JD, he'd be the best at building a good roster using left over draft picks, wheeling and dealing, making trades, trading players, whatever it took. He'd be dialed in.

On the other hand I think from what we've seen he'd struggle if he saved getting a QB until the end, without draft and cap he already used to build the team. Based soley how he admitted he blew the robbie anderson deal tells me he may not be as good getting a single players, like a FQB.

He's just better at wheeling and dealing and building a roster, even with minimal draft cap.

So the winner of this analysis is for JD to trade for Watson then get to work building a real team with whatever's left over.

So Watson it is!!! GET IT DONE!!!

18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

19. HomeoftheJets

We have the #2 and #23 picks; the Patriots only have the #15 pick. So if the Patriots get Watson, either Douglas or Caserio is the worst GM in the league, depending on whether Douglas let it happen, or Caserio actively wants to get fired.

20. chad2coles

HomeoftheJets likes this.