Deshaun Watson Mega Thread (Volume 3)

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Brook!, Feb 5, 2021.

?

What would you give up for Watson?

1. #2 pick in 2021 Draft Only

7.9%
  2. #2 pick plus another 1st Rounder

24.6%
  3. #2 pick plus 2 other 1st Rounders

34.1%
  4. #2 pick plus 3 other 1st Rounders

5.6%
  5. To Hell with Watson. Stay put

27.8%
  1. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

The idea of wasting 3 first round picks on one player is so absurd to me. It'd just be setting up the QB for failure. He'd still have no one running with the ball. He'd still have almost no one to throw to. And he'd have like 1 guy able to block for him. Then after two years of getting wrecked because we have no half decent draft picks left, everyone would complain about him being a bust.

Not thinking about the future and trading away picks is why this team has been shit for the past decade.

ouchy, Br4d and BacktoQueens like this.
  2. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

You think NYC doesn't have morons ? And ALOT MORE of them !! :D

REVISion and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

The #2 overall is worth at least two first rounders as well.
    So people are advocating trading 4 or 5 first round picks? That’s insane considering where this roster is at.

I’d offer the #2 plus another first at most.
    If they are not interested in Darnold, maybe I’d throw in another 2nd rounder as I’m confident Darnold would net at least a 2nd back.
    If that’s not enough for Houston we move on.

Footballgod214, Brook! and Jets79 like this.
  4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

It’s a whole different type of moron. Apples and oranges, both rotten though.

NoodleArm and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

The reason this team has been shit for the last decade is because we don't have a FQB. Draft a RB, sign Robinson and Scherff or Thuney and most of your arguments are moot. If we trade the 2 this year(would have been used on a QB anyway) a first next year (we have 2) and a first the following year the effects on us drafting talent are minimal. Not sure why people don't understand this. You say "wasted 3 picks" on a perennial pro bowler at the most important position entering his prime, hilarious.

Fiftynine, PJ4Ever and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

this years #2, next years first, and a conditional third that could become a 2 next year.

IMO we have enough draft capital to weather this trade. a bit rich but not too bad.

7. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

If the Jets could get a first for Darnold (I dont see how, but the reports are out there), three firsts is very manageable. They could trade the three first rounders this year, still have all their picks, and two first round picks next year.

I dont think I'd go to four, nor would I trade Quinnen or Becton. But if you told me the Jets could trade three first rounders, keeping either two next year or one this year, I think you need to do it.

Put trust in Joe Douglas to nail the rest of the draft and FA. Sign Thuney/Lindsey, sign Robinson/Golladay/Godwin, nail the draft.

8. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

2 overall, Sam (since apparently he’s worth a late 1st) or the compensation he brings back from another team if the Texans don’t like him, and a 1 next year would be fine with me

Anything much more than that and you’re setting Watson and the team up for failure. At that point you would be better off gambling on Sam himself or a rookie QB and building a strong team around whoever you choose at QB

I personally like the Watson option if it’s “fair” for us but I have no issues with:

1) Drafting a QB at 2 and getting back whatever we can for Sam

2) Keeping Sam and trading down at 2 to completely stack the team between the draft and free agency. Sam either improves or we move on with a hopefully strong team missing a solid QB to step in next season

All of these options are fine and just a matter of preference

9. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

Thats just not true. Let’s say the jets give up the following:

1st rounder in 2021 (either #2 or #23)
    1st rounder in 2022
    1st rounder in 2023
    3rd rounder in 2021
    5th rounder in 2022

The jets would still have the following picks to draft with:

2021: 1, 2 (which is basically a 1 with how high it is), 3, 4, two 5’s

2022: 1, 2, 3, etc

2023: 2, 3, etc

Because of the Adam’s haul, the jets could give all that away and still have what a normal team has to draft with in each of the next 2 years. The only pick they would lose that they would normally not have is a 1st rounder in 2023. But by that time, after you have Watson, 2 years of draft picks and 2 years of free agency, I don’t think it will matter much. There is absolutely enough capital to land Watson AND build a team around him. The jets have both draft picks and dollars in free agency.

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets are not a normal team. They're a bad team with a bad roster.

A contender with the Jets capital could do what you propose, a bad team cannot.

Jets79 likes this.
  11. chad2coles

chad2coles Well-Known Member

so you don’t know that the Jets will have more cap space than any other team after a few cuts to have the chance to sign top players in their prime at guard, WR, edge, and bring over Salem’s starting cornerback and nickelback from his d in SF? Or don’t think the Jets could find any starters w 5 picks in the top hundred of this years draft? And have a top 3 25yo qb.

At this point the argument that the Jets need 4 first round picks to field w contender is impossible to defend.

PJ4Ever and Snatch Catch like this.
  12. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

We need receivers, a RB, a TE, ILB, OLB, CB, OGs, OT, WRs. We have so many needs that a "FQB" wouldn't survive or accomplish anything on this team. Plus trading away a bunch of firsts will prevent the QB from having the level of supporting cast necessary to make any kind of deep playoff run. No consistently good team has ever gotten that way by throwing a ton of first round picks away for one player.

Those are the number of picks that turns a franchise into a dynasty of a team. 2-3 drafts with that elite picks will result in a team with a devastating roster teams hate to play against.

13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'm starting to shy away from wanting Watson. Not because he's not a sick, but when you look at the option of getting a top-tier prospect at QB with the second pick and the bevy of picks to build around him and his strengths, it's pretty appealing.

Watson seems like a boom-or-bust proposition. He's going to be great regardless, but will the Jets be a meddling 7-9 team because there's garbage around him?

Three first round picks is a lot of potentially premium players if our scouting department does a good job.

REVISion likes this.
  14. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

The ridiculous contracts being thrown at quarterbacks lately is adding an interesting dynamic. All these bigs names floating around this offseason, so many of them linked to buyer's remorse.

(Didn't want to just say how much I'd give up for Watson. I think every possible scenario has been mentioned at least three times.)

15. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I doubt we'll be anything better than 7-9 next year with Watson, but the goal is to have Watson be our QB for the next 10-15 years. If we can't build a contender with him in that time horizon minus a couple first rounders, we were never winning anything regardless.

Fiftynine, PJ4Ever and bicketybam like this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

Of course. I mean being a meddling 7-9 team throughout the time he is here. I'm a bit torn. I want him, but I also think there's a big appeal to having tons of premium draft assets with a GM that we at least think can deliver with them.

17. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Snatch Catch and FJF like this.
  18. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I feel the same; both are very appealing.

The 2nd best QB in the NFL in Watson + a normal draft class + 60-70M in cap.

OR

2 firsts and 2 seconds this year (assuming Sam goes for a 2). Take Fields at 2, add a couple pieces on offensive through FA (looking at Thuney as our big get and Samuel as a nice value addition), and hopefully an edge in FA like Floyd or Judon.

I'm salivating just thinking about both.... JD really did a good job at stacking the war chest, now it's time to turn it into a contender.

FJF likes this.
  19. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Watson and Fields are represented by the same agent. You can’t rule out the agent not wanting Houston to have the second overall pick which would just land his newest client in the exact same shitty situation… I hope I’m just connecting dots that don’t exist but the agent has every bit of incentive to drive Houston away from the second pick.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

He could also tell the Texans to go fuck themselves and draft the Mormon who will probably hit it off with Easterby.

But good findings man^. I did not know that.

Snatch Catch likes this.