Build around Sam

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Feb 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Too soon to tell with Douglas, but the previous paid professionals have been utter dogshit. We'd have been better off with a random TGG poster at GM than Maccagnan.

2. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Sorry you ain't selling me on this. There have been plenty of big school QB that have flunked in the pro's. The Jets alone have drafted a ton of them. Fields was exposed by Bama and that is why the Jets should stay away. Wilson is the better QB for this offense that Saleh and LaFleur are installing. He's accurate, has great feet for the pocket, and can also throw deep.

#122 boozer32, Feb 9, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    J-Raw24 and PJ4Ever like this.
  3. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Exposed? lmao

Sure.. Him playing injured had nothing to do with It? Playing against superior talent, also, had nothing to do with It?

Wilson hasn't come close to that level of competition. EVER.

Fields is also accurate. Has good feet, and Is an excellent deep thrower. Either of them would fit the Shanahan system.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything. I just think you are wrong. That's all.

Question though.

Have you watched both these guys play, In actual games? More than one game? Or are you a highlight video kinda person?

Just curious.

NCJetsfan and NYGANGGREEN like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Your assumption is wrong. I've had a lot of good discussion with Dean over the years, and he is a forthright, knowledgeable poster and good guy. He is not biased and not BSing you.

You're wrong about Fields. You do know that Fields played against Bama with broken ribs and couldn't practice, don't you? His team made too many mistakes in that game, and Fields didn't have the strength or energy to over come them. He is a great prospect and would fit our offense as well as Wilson

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

While I applaud his effort as everyone should, I don't think this has ever been verified. Maybe he didn't practice but they didn't disclose the injury and by rule don't have to.

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I've seen many here who advocate that you shouldn't draft a QB onto a lousy team because:

A. The temptation to throw him into the fire right away is often too great and they can't handle the huge jump form college that quickly so they fail - Exhibit A: Sam Darnold.

OR

B. A lousy team has to rebuild first, and using such a premium pick on a QB is a waste on a team like that.

Actually, in the case where a team has a premium pick 1st, or 2nd, and has the opportunity to draft a guy they believe can be their FQB, it makes more sense to take advantage of that opportunity, and then let the QB sit and learn while you build up the talent around him. Getting a Top 2 pick involves a good amount of luck - unless you actively tank, which I personally don't believe any NFL team will do. Look at the Jets this year: despite being historically bad they still didn't get the #1 pick. Last year they were at least as bad however they had a much easier schedule that enabled them to win some games at the end to drop them farther back in the draft position. Two years ago, they weren't much better, if at all, and yet they somehow won 5 games and wound up drafting 6th. So, despite being a bad football team for multiple years, they still haven't even gotten the #1 pick, or even the #2 pick! The fact is that it's extremely rare for a team, even one as bad as the Jets, to have the #2 pick. so, if Douglas thinks that one of this year's QBs can be his FQB he needs to use the #2 pick on him, and let him sit and learn for the first year. If he's as good as Douglas obviously believes he is (or he wouldn't have used the #2 pick on him), then the "investment" of a year of learning is well worth it in the long run.

7. NCJetsfan

You're correct that it hasn't been officially verified. But all of us who saw the hit, Field's reaction, and how he carried himself afterwards knows that he had at least one rib broken, and probably at least two.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  8. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

If he did have broken ribs he had no business being on a football field.

1 for his own personal health
    2 he wasn't fit enough to do the job he was meant to do and ultimately it cost his team a title.

It is all well and good saying he should be commended for playing through pain but if it reduces you down to 50% of your ability you should not be on that field of play.

I have had broken ribs and doubt that you could throw a football down the field with them, never mind take another solid hit and not get damaged further, so my guess would be badly bruised or at the very worst a minor fracture because playing with fully broken ribs would be dumb as fuck tbh.

Cman68 and SOJAZ like this.
  9. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

REVISion likes this.
  10. GreenWhiteandGold

GreenWhiteandGold Well-Known Member

RochesterJet likes this.
  11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

QBs play with broken ribs a lot. They wear a flac jacket to tightly protect their ribs and get the painkillers to nub anything. Then they feel invincible during the game, its just a matter of breathing.

12. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I watched Fields against Clemson. I've watched decades of Ohio St. QB's in the pros and that's enough for me. Hope this helps.

13. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

The Jets will be “taking a look” at JuJu Smith-Schuster and Will Fuller V at the top of the free agent wide receiver market, reports ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler.

14. NCJetsfan

I can't disagree with anything you've said here. I'll just say that even injured, Fields gave Ohio St. a chance vs. Alabama. I think they'd have had no chance with Field's backup, whoever he is. He played at an extremely high level following the injury vs. Clemson. If the doctors said there was no major health risk to his playing and he was willing to endure the pain and any possible additional damage, then I have to respect him for his commitment to his teammates and desire to win, even if playing may not have been the smartest decision of his life.

K'OB likes this.
  15. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

guessinn its Tannenbaum

16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I've said it before: Pretty much all of the Jets QB options are good and have potential upside. They also have potential downsides, but it is still a great position to be in. The Jets could trade Sam and he goes on to be a successful QB elsewhere. I think that is highly likely. The Jets don't need to regret it though, as long as they fill the QB position with a good player too. Win-win.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  17. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

That's you problem. OSU has never had a pro style QB like Justin Fields. EVER. He was originally recruited to play In the SEC, transferred over to the big 10.

You can pretend like It's enough, but, It's not. In that very statement, you don't truly understand the QB. You want to assume that because OSU has never had a good NFL QB prospect, that this Is all there ever possibly could be.

That's just not true. Things change.

Matter of factly, OSU has recently recruited a couple of pro style QB's coming up. With another being a dual threat.

It's exciting, times are changing. Even In college, times are changing.

NYJFOREVER, PJ4Ever, FJF and 2 others like this.
  18. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

He had a terrible season.

REVISion and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

WFT signs Heinicke to extension...

all this Sam Darnold interest is too much...

REVISion likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.