SI's New Paywall

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Since1969, Feb 8, 2021.

1. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

I guess it was just a matter of time, but Sports Illustrated now has a paywall. Will any of you pay for a subscription? I used to love SI, but it's now only a shadow of what it used to be. They've had massive layoffs in recent years, and it doesn't have the content it used to have. To me, the Athletic is a better deal. What do the rest of you think?

https://www.crossingbroad.com/2021/02/sports-illustrated-erecting-a-paywall.html

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I stopped reading SI in 2007 when Peter King's Patriot bias became too obvious to ignore.

joe, Brook! and abyzmul like this.
  3. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Funny you should ask. I've subscribed to SI for more than 45 years, but the most recent issue was my final one. I would have stopped a couple of years ago, but through various promotions I've gotten the last couple of years for free. It has become an all-feature magazine - either fluff or serious character studies. Either way, that's not why I'm interested in sports.

Royal Tee and Brook! like this.
  4. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Online Subscription services have taken over especially the past 5 years. Not just media but software and other services.
    Surprised it took so long.

5. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

It's a two-edged sword. The paywall will give SI subscription revenue, but it will probably decrease the number of people clicking on the stories, and that may reduce the site's desirability to advertisers and what they're willing to pay to advertise. Paywalls usually work well only when the content is good enough that people are willing to pay for it (e.g., the Athletic). Otherwise, it's often a sign of desperation.

SI has laid off tons of people in the last few years, and most of the well-known writers are long gone. I wonder if the paywall is just an attempt by management to pick the last morsels of meat off the SI carcass and name. I question whether SI's content is so good that a lot of people will pay to read it.

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

There's too much quality free information out there for me to justify paying to read someone else's opinions. So it's a no for me dawg.

7. Satan

Satan Well-Known Member

I only thought people subscribed to read the articles in the swimsuit edition

Since1969 likes this.