Build around Sam

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Feb 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Yes, exactly. I hate this notion that getting a FQB is as easy as deciding to do so. It's very hard, you generally need to spend the highest possible pick to have a good shot at getting one. The odds of a guy working out long term at QB drop rapidly with each pick that passes.

Jonathan_Vilma, Borat and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Stop overthinking this. We need a QB. There are a lot of options at QB this year. Just get a freaking QB.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No, there isn't a lot of truth in what he's saying. Both of you need to go take a look at draft history and do some reading and watching of film of QBs who are likely to be in the draft next year. Even if there are 1-2 really good QBs in the draft next year, there's no reason to think that we would be in a position to draft one of them even by trading up. The only reason we would be is if JD screws the pooch on the upcoming draft and FA and Saleh is a failure as a HC. If that is the case, it won't matter if we are in position to be able to get one of them, because Saleh wouldn't be able to develop him and JD wouldn't be able to build around him. I believe in JD and Saleh and know that you do too. With that being the case, more than likely we will win at least 6-7 games this year, maybe more, depending upon the schedule and injuries. That isn't going to put us in position to draft one of those 1-2 good QBs, and more than likely, we won't be able to trade up to get one of them either.

I'm surprised to see you spouting some of the same nonsense as other posters about the Jets not being able to recognize and draft a FQB. What previous GMs and HCs did is almost TOTALLY IRRELEVANT to this year. JD instituted a totally different way of evaluating prospects, and he is a more qualified, experienced, and knowledgeable GM than any we've had since at least Tuna, and maybe since Weeb Ewbank. The only thing that gives it any relevance at all is that we have some of the same scouts as before, but with a different way of evaluating the prospects for fit, rather than round value, and with JD's eye, that is pretty much ameliorated.

#103 NCJetsfan, Feb 8, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    azhar80, REVISion and Borat like this.
  4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I feel the same way. I remember that game where Gase kept making him throw down field, even the commentators were mad at him asking to help his young QB a little bit. He didn't. After that game is when I felt for the first time that Sam may not really fix his issues and take a big leap forward. I remember the very next game he played terrible as well against Jaguars, who were bad. Gase did not do Sam any favors in this game and others, and he already had major flaws to begin with as well.

We can debate how we got here, but the bottom line is we are here 3 years later and Sam not only didn't address the flaws from his College days, he regressed. Can he be reclaimed - maybe, maybe not. Even if he can, how much does he need to improve to become FQB from literally the worst starter in NFL, when his own back-up, old washed up Flacco coming off injury, is outperforming him? He needs to take a GIANT leap forward just to be average, not to mention FQB. Add to that the fact he is almost done with rookie deal and will be FA next year, and the fact we can add a really promising rookie who has just as much or more talent than Sam did 3 years ago, but has not been ruined, and the decision JD has to make is really not that difficult.

5. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

If we don't get a pre-season again then I'd rather start the year with Morgan under centre.

He could be a Wilson, maybe a Minshew or even a Peterman but at least it has the element of hope and discovery rather then endure Darnold just thrashing around again for what would be a wasted year.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

Poor Geno Smith never received this level of loyalty and support

:(

7. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

But they're all wrong as often as they're right, aren't they? They make their living out of it not because their reports are accurate, but because there is an insatiable appetite for pre-draft analysis. This is one of the most exciting times of the year, for any sport. The NFL Draft is a truly remarkable event. I read mock drafts on here and love the analysis and thought that goes into them. Most of them turn out to be wildly off the mark, but I don't read them because I think they're going to be right. I read them because they are entertaining.

And Darnold defenders have plenty to back them up. They aren't pulling opinions out of thin air, there are valid reasons to think he might be salvageable. For the record, I think he's done in New York but if the team decides to try and build around him and see what he has, I won't jump off a bridge.

8. ukjetsfan

I agree that a team needs to get its QB when he is there, waiting to be picked. But on a bad team (which is likely the case if you're picking that high) I'd like to see a bit of patience after that. QBs routinely used to sit their first year and just get comfortable with a system. These young players are thrown to the wolves these days and that has contributed to a few flame-outs, I'm sure. Let a young quarterback sit and learn, get more pieces in, give him a few drives in garbage time and let him learn how to do the most demanding job in any team sport. When you graduate from college as a business major, you don't become CEO of your first company right away.

9. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Like that analogy. Some may do of course, if they have a start up, but an inordinate number would and do fail, some multiple times.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. ukjetsfan

Maybe a QB going to an expansion franchise could start right away then! ;)

11. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

Well I had hoped this thread wasn’t like the other frenzied threads. I was wrong, the haters have migrated into this thread as well.

Rather than give my thoughts, I will keep them to myself. I really have no desire to read a five paragraph response telling me that I’m crazy, wrong, or mistaken. The last time I checked we were all fans of the same team.

In conclusion I say that not one of the members of this board actually are scouts, or general managers . We are all Jets fans with hope. So let the haters continue to hate, I’m going back underground until the PAID professionals pick our path.

Pepsiguy5 and BrowningNagle like this.
  12. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Are you fucking crazy?

:p

ukjetsfan likes this.
  13. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

What I remember abt Geno...
    Fans supported him, he lost the QB competition to Mark Sanchez, GM gets Mark killed in a meaningless game, Geno starts the season and sucks... also he had Jaw Broken by his teammate.

So it's one thing to say we didnt support him, but when your own teammate are trying kill you then idk...

14. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

Eat shit.

K'OB likes this.
  15. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

You missed out stupid. That seems to be the insult of the month.

K'OB likes this.
  16. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Its obvious y
    Your bias being an Ohio State fan. Competition matters yes but there are other factors that go into the evaluation of players. You can also under and over evaluate. Just look at the two QB's that just played in the SB. Especially Mahomes who I wanted the Jets to take and many people on this site wanted nothing to do with him. How's that working out? His level of competition wasn't SEC worthy. But we have new coaches and I think they want a QB of their own and not try and rebuild Sam or deal with a Big Ten no defense reading option QB.

17. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Nice assumption. If you knew me, followed my posts over the years, you would know your assumption Is wrong.

I'm not being biased. He is statistically better, he looked better In college on tape to me, and he did It playing against much better competition.

You obviously didn't watch much OSU football during JF tenure.

Also, there are plenty of small school QB's that were highly touted and have flopped as well. That argument doesn't mean anything.

18. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

On average Geno was undeniably a worse QB but he did have that Atlanta and Miami game where he peaked far ahead of anything Sam's been able to achieve.

Geno was a ballon you blew up and then released to fly crazily around the room, Sam is a ballon you blew up a few days ago and has sowly reduced itself to a shrivelled lump of plastic rolling around on the floor.

bicketybam likes this.
  19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think these both outline the thoughts of most posters pretty well. Can Sam rebound? Definitely. But it's going to be a pretty big hill to climb even to become Kirk Cousins or Andy Dalton. The odds of him taking the next step to be a quarterback that can win in the playoffs seem to be extremely low.

It just seems as if it'll be best to start new. And we're not talking about drafting Kellen Mond because he's the next best available. There are highly rated prospects available for us at 2.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

With this mentality we might as well shut the entire board down so that people cannot discuss things about the Jets.

No one thinks they're a professional. But even the professionals (as we've seen with our own organization and others) make huge mistakes.

Everyone's speculating and discussing and having fun doing so. Why rain on the parade? The off-season is the best part about being a Jets fan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.