Mahomes without his 2 best OL

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nyjetsgreen, Feb 7, 2021.

1. nyjetsgreen

nyjetsgreen Active Member

You can't afford to sign both Thuney and Robinson plus you need more then that your missing 2 4-3 DE need a Guard a Center a RB a CB do the math Watson cap numbers will make it very difficult to build anything around him after this year they go through the roof. With no draft picks how do you build around him?

2. zace

zace Well-Known Member

They didnt lose because of their oline. It didn't help but theyve been playing with a makeshift line all season at different points. They lost because the gameplan was just dumb. They should have run the ball more to give mahomes time.

When the d-line knows all they gotta do ia sit back and rush with no concerns for a run game, it makes it easy. They can be extra aggressive

Running makes them more hesitant and buys the oline time. They just got too greedy and kept going for the big play....like you see with people who play maddes.

Oline didnt help, no you dont need a top 10 oline every time to win.

The logic on this board is amazing....we need a top oline, top receiver, top running back, topr corners and pass rusher for sam to be successful....while paying him 25 plus million and staying under the cap.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

3. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

They averaged 29.6 ppg this year.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

4. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I would need to watch the game again (which I'm not going to do) but I didn't see any sort of brilliant gameplan from the Bucs defense, which I'm hearing a lot about. It looked like a simple case of the Chiefs offensive line being hopelessly outclassed by the Bus defensive line. Bowles didn't need to do much other than say 'rush the passer'. It worked every time.

And I disagree in one instance with the OP. I don't think Mahomes looked average. He made at least three other-worldly throws while under unbelievable pressure, two of which probably should have been touchdowns. He was neutralised, yes, but he still looked like an incredible player to me. But I do agree that this game showed how important your offensive line is.

5. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

Yes, they lost cause Mahomes was pressured on 52% of his dropbacks, the most in a Superbowl. Brady was pressured 13%, that's the widest gap ever in any game since the stat started being record in 2009.

I saw your other post that the KC defense gave up 31 points, and that's above the average, but KC only scored 9 points, and couldn't keep drives sustained to keep TB's offense off the field.

This game reinforced how important an o-line is to QB play. Darnold hasn't had a great chance, although we would have hoped to see average play and not bad play. How much was due to Gase as well?

Please don't reach for a QB with our #2 pick. Draft Sewell. There is a reason why other teams want to trade for Darnold.

papapump and SOJAZ like this.
  6. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

This exactly. Mahomes made some unbelievable throws that weren't caught. He was being tackled out of bounds and threw a laser to the corner of the endzone where only his guy could catch it (and he nearly did). He was falling to the ground and threw a ball 30 yards to the receiver for a first down. Difficult catches, but the throws were there. Darnold doesn't make throws like that ever.

JetBlue likes this.
  7. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

What Mahomes had last night is more than Darnold has had in any game in his career.

Saying Darnold is not as good as arguably the best Qb in the NFL is one thing. Saying we should get rid of Darnold because he’s not the best Qb is something else.

As far as impressive off platform throws - Darnold does it, partly why the NFL (teams) are still a lot higher on Darnold vs the fans. It hasn’t always looked good but the ability is there...

Also here he is from 2018... as a rookie he looked like a completely different player w/Robbie and a runningback not named Gore...

8. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Been saying that from the start. He's the 2nd best player in the draft, plays a position(s) that the Jets have had absolutely appalling problems at the last few years, and probably has the lowest chance of being a bust in the entire draft. To somewhat emphasize that, no player in this entire NFL draft has a greater chance of being at least a "good" player. Maybe the Jets should not overthink this and just take him.

I trust the Jets analysis and judgement but I have to believe that Sewell is at worst a strong and legit consideration for them.

Also a pro-Sewell takeaway from that game to consider. In addition to the great (and I'm not being sarcastic) Pat Mahomes flopping around like a fish heaving desperate sidearm prayers because his line wasn't holding up look at the other side. He wasn't quite the 2nd overall guy and I get we don't have a Tom Brady and other great players showing up at the doorstep to bag Superbowls but still.... Wirfs playing RT and giving Brady that extra heartbeat of time that Darnold could only dream of. I've been watching that all through the playoffs.

9. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

"The Chiefs kept only five men into protect on 92.3% of their dropbacks, leaving their linemen with one-on-one matchups against the likes of Ndamukong Suh, Jason Pierre-Paul and Shaquil Barrett."

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Maybe all those teams that didn't hire Bienemy knew what they were doing.

11. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing. Credit Bowles for shutting them down, but Bienemy never seemed to adjust. There seemed to be a belief that if we just keep throwing it we will eventually get going.

Footballgod214 and Cman68 like this.
  12. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Just tracking the most likely cuts, Anderson, GVR, Lewis, and Griffin, that would put the Jets at ~90M in cap space. By adding Deshaun, Robinson, and Thuney we'd still have over 50M in cap space (according to Spotrac projections) for other FA's/draft picks. I think you're underestimating how much money the Jets will have this offseason. You could even cut Crowder and save another 10M-ish, not a fan of this move but just saying that's an option. Clearly with that amount of space, we probably wouldn't be going after anymore stars to fill the roster out but that's plenty to sign a bunch of quality guys to improve the team.

But we'd still have draft picks, wouldn't we? Even if we gave up 3-4 1st's. Do you think the only place you can get starters is in the 1st round? Sure, they're "more likely" to be successful but you can still get really good players after round 1.

It would absolutely be more difficult to build up the roster with Watson, his cap hit, and what it would take to get him but it wouldn't be impossible. Plus, we'd have a top 5 QB in the prime of his career. Good thing is the Jets have options this offseason with multiple ways to become a contender sooner rather than later. This offseason should be fun for us!

13. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

So true OP. While I have mixed feeling on Darnold...the jets would be morons to bring in Deshaun or Wilson and then bring no OL around. I seriously think 23/33 need to be saved this year and for one OL minimum and another in the 3rd.

14. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Did Sammy Watkins get any throws? I only watched the first half and don't remember even seeing him on the field.. Bowles took away their primary weapons so I was waiting to see if KC's other threats would step up.. Nope, they didn't.

15. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

watching that game looked a lot like watching the jets this year. bad penalties by the D at the worst times. no ability to move the ball. QB under pressure all game long, nobody getting open, dropped passes. a QB scrambling for his life and winging it in a hopeless game leading to INTs. anytime something good happens a penalty brings it back. actually makes me want to keep sam.

MoWilkBeast, SOJAZ and Cman68 like this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

KC said they were expecting a lot of man. bowles played cover2/cover4 zones all night long and trusted pressure form the front 4. suh, JPP, and barrett were dominating KC's o-line. I only remember him catching 1 pass but to be fair nobody on KC did anything except kelce

#36 GasedAndConfused, Feb 8, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
    SOJAZ and Cman68 like this.
  17. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

We have a left tackle already, which oddly you never once mention in your entire post, so good luck moving Becton to RT and not paying him LT money.

Jedi mind tricks likes this.
  18. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

19. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

You really gonna call Watson a diva?? Cmon dude he's been anything but. He's been a company man as they tore the team apart all around him. It finally took the front office turning into a Christian sect to make him say he'd like to leave.. Hell even Watt wants out

JETS1116 likes this.
  20. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Yeah we can't keep drafting tackles and expect the offense to improve. Now if they A. Really like Darnold and B. Use FA to improve skill positions then ok I can see CONSIDERING drafting Sewell but then you still have the issue of trying not to piss off Becton and they're both going to want LT money down the road.

K'OB and HomeoftheJets like this.