Possible Roster of Offense w/Watson vs Without

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ZachMFWilson, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It's also a completely different coaching staff and system this year. Gase ran an inside zone scheme, this is a wide zone that requires more athletic guards.

The system also values tackles a lot more than it does guards. I can see us signing a guard but I doubt it'll be a big player like Thuney or Scherff honestly.

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Still gonna have a hard time getting the OL to number one, and given the rest of our roster, it isn't worth the effort. Also, trading for Watson, who we know is elite, is a lot different than drafting a prospect where we have no idea what he'll be.

One other thing. You call yourself SAmFan, you signed up the day after the Jets drafted Sam, and you've barely posted since, though you did start a thread asking what would happen if Brady and Belichick died in a horrible accident. Now when the Jets are likely to move on from Sam, you start this thread. Are you even a Jets fan, or are you just trolling us?

NCJetsfan and bicketybam like this.
  3. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

New coach, new outlook, new QB, whether it's Watson, Wilson, Fields, Wentz or Lance, anyone but Darnold

NCJetsfan, NYJetsO12 and bicketybam like this.
  4. ZachMFWilson

ZachMFWilson Active Member

Last year we added 4 new starters. I’m suggesting if we add Sewell and a top FA guard, we’ll be a top line.
    I’m suggesting if we add 2 rookie RB (including the consensus most talented), a top WR in FA and a top TE in FA, we’d have a better depth chart than the 2019 49ers who made it to the SB.

Brady and Belichick did drive off a cliff so the answer to my question in the other thread was apparently “the Buffalo Bills”.

Give Carson Wentz a top OL, he looks like Aaron Rodgers, give him a bottom OL, he looks like Sam Bradford.

Some of you people are so caught up on positional value, you forget people on the line play multiple positions. If we just add a top FA G, moving to a 17 game season we’ll have serious depth issues.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

You're also suggesting with these moves that we largely ignore the defense which was the driving force as to why the 49ers made it to the Super Bowl. So you're not following the team building strategy that got them there.

Teams don't take two runningbacks in the top 80 picks of the draft in the same year. It doesn't happen, won't happen and it's silly to try to defend that.

Etienne is also not the consensus most talented.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  6. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

ARob isn't signing up to have Darnold throw him passes either. Not a chance.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

7. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I was wondering this myself

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

I’ve been thinking about this too. What are your thoughts on beckton in this system. As good as he’s been would you consider trading him assuming a nice package in return? Or will he work in this system just as well?

9. Jonathan_Vilma

I think if they can't coach him into the system and model certain concepts around his strength then they've done something wrong. I posted this a week or so ago. If it doesn't work, either he or the coaching staff massively failed and we have big problems at left tackle.

10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Not to mention Kyle Shanahan offenses have never drafted a RB higher than 73rd overall (Tevin Colemen, 2015) and the highest Matt LaFleur has drafted one was at 62 (A.J. Dillon, 2020).

This type of offense doesn't prioritize versatile backs that break tackles and juke and stiff arm their way for 10 yards. They will be prioritizing offensive linemen that can execute the wide zone which makes the rest of the offense possible. And they will pick up as many quick and fast RBs as they can find, typically the types of guys most other teams are not prioritizing except maybe as a change of pace back.

11. K'OB

You should be done for fraud or impersonating a mod at the very least

12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

As much as I like the idea of adding a great RB to the weapons, I agree that the "Shanahan Philosophy" doesn't rely on drafting consensus great RBs. Mike Shanahan's Broncos teams always had a great running attack, and it always seemed like he had a gift for finding great RBs, but in reality it was the great OL and blocking schemes that created those great RBs. If LaFleur can emulate that success here I'd be thrilled.

13. Jonathan_Vilma

I'm starting to think this is going to be the guy. A wide zone guy through and through that's fast as fuck. He's a bit small and undersized which is why I wrote him off before we hired a new coaching staff.

Depends on how high we take a back because I'd imagine he's a third rounder or so who will light up his pro day if they have one in terms of speed.

14. abyzmul

I find it unlikely that Matt Lafleur will be deviating from the formula that makes the offense he is installing historically successful.

15. abyzmul

You got it sir, Hawkins is the prototype back for a Shanahan offense.

16. K'OB

When did he become a Mod on here?

He needs to up his game formula if he is to be a success at this rate.

17. Jonathan_Vilma

What's a mod? You mean a maw-err-ate-her?

K'OB likes this.
  18. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Here is the order most FA WRs use to determine where they want to sign:

1. Who offers the best contract.
    2. Who has the most enticing HC/staff.
    3. Who has the best chance to win now.
    4. What friend/allies do they have on the team.
    5. Who is playing QB.

Some players might have a slightly different order of priorities, but its rare. People who are all in for Watson like rearrange the order to make #5 the first factor. Where Robinson goes will have little to do with Watson.

19. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

I guarantee WRs have a different list with QB much higher. Better stats mean bigger contracts, especially Robinson playing with terrible QBs his whole career. He may not go to the Jets with or without Watson but I am positive that it would greatly effect his decision.

bicketybam likes this.
  20. K'OB

It was just a joke as Abyzmal keeps robbing moderators avatars and that is all you notice rather than their/his name, he was Brooks last week and Royal Tee today

#40 K'OB, Feb 6, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
    Footballgod214 likes this.