Deshaun Watson Mega Thread (Volume 3)

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Brook!, Feb 5, 2021.

?

What would you give up for Watson?

1. #2 pick in 2021 Draft Only

7.9%
  2. #2 pick plus another 1st Rounder

24.6%
  3. #2 pick plus 2 other 1st Rounders

34.1%
  4. #2 pick plus 3 other 1st Rounders

5.6%
  5. To Hell with Watson. Stay put

27.8%
  1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

2. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

Can we just cancel this thread? We all know deep down inside the Jets aren’t getting Watson just like we all knew the Jets weren’t getting Lawrence.

Section 336, Jets69 and JetsKickAss like this.
  3. Brook!

It is offseason. Deshaun is still a hot commodity and Jets are still a top 3 favorite to land him according Vegas bets.

If we cancel this thread, what are we going to discuss? Free agency is still 5 weeks away, Draft is 2.5 months away.

Let's give Jets fans a topic to discuss. :)

4. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

I think we come out of the draft without him. He goes into preseason as a Texan, holding out. Then things get interesting...

Leicester Jet and J-Raw24 like this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I chose the #2 plus another first rounder, but that wouldn't be the #23 in 2021. And I'd be willing to add a 2nd from 2022,and maybe Darnold, but that would be my limit.

The more I think about it, while he'd likely be great, he has been seriously injured twice, and there's no guarantee it won't happen again. In my experience, players who get seriously hurt tend to get hurt again - I don't have any scientific evidence for that, it just seems that way to me. Anyway, giving up a king's ransom with that kind of risk is a big gamble. Then again, everything is. So for now I'm still on the "Get Watson Train", but only up to a certain point.

6. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

So, anything new? Or the same circular pointless arguments?

FJF, K'OB, matt robinson 17 and 2 others like this.
  7. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

I believe Watson stays in Houston, but for the Jets to trade for him I believe it would take our 2, Seattle 1st this yr, our 1st in 2022 and 2023. Otherwise, he chooses to play in Houston or sit it out. Sitting it out never seems to work for players This guy is very talented but he just signed a contract, it is not like he is 3 or 4 yrs into it. He is happy with the upfront money , but someone is in his ear about the political views of his ownership. So is this guy going to be happy to come to a Jets team that a Trumper appointment owns. Probably not. When he first wanted out of Houston, I do not think he had a grasp of the political landscape of the Jets. Not hearing much about him endorsing the Jets lately, probably same people in his group pointing out how close Jets ownership is to Houstons

8. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

He’s always been about his money. He damn welll signed last year to get the home team super max extension. He knew what he was doing and they were doomed regardless. Now he wants out, which could’ve been the plan all along.

9. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

The #2, another 1st, and a 2nd. I can't get myself to go for 3 1st rounders.

Jets79 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

We'd give up SO MUCH to get him, I hope JD re-writes his contract 4yr >>> 10/12yr (similar to Mahomes). It'd be nice to know we have our guy for at least a decade, maybe longer. 12 yr, 15% total cap every year. Pay him in bitcoin!

JetBlue likes this.
  11. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

There won’t be anything new; I don’t think Houston has any interest in trading him so teams who are interested will see if the Texans get desperate when he holds out. When they don’t the only likely trade partner will be a team that may be just at the cusp of contention during the season who gets desperate and makes a massive deal for him under the guise Watson is their missing piece. Absent of that he’ll be the Texans QB.

12. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

#2, Seattle '22 and NYJ '23.

PJ4Ever and BudJet like this.
  13. Footballgod214

If Texans feel forced into trading, can they demand Watson return 75% of his up front $22M, since it was for 4 years? If texans keep him, they can spread that $22M over 4 years. If they trade or cut him, it accelerates to this year. To Me, Deshawn should re-pay his signing bonus then renegotiate with his new team.

14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Jets69, MoWilkBeast, Savatage and 2 others like this.
  15. Footballgod214

Edit

16. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Nope. And it’s gonna be this way for a while. Get used to “we have to give up all our picks and money and won’t be able to build around him” if you’re not already.

MoWilkBeast and FJF like this.
  17. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

That would be an unusual demand in pro sports but certainly not unreasonable. If he no longer wants to perform under the contract he signed, specifically with the team he signed it with, he should have to negotiate some cost to himself just like any party under a contract would have to negotiate if they want out of the terms of the contract.

obviously athletes exist in a different power dynamic than typical contractual relationships so teams don’t usually pursue such a route but it’s a reasonable demand just the same.

18. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

The best bit is when people re-affirm what they said in the previous two threads in the third thread again, just in case we don't remember what their position on Watson was.

I'm gonna wait until thread 4

19. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Imagine the Ravens getting Watson for Jackson and two 1's.

20. Brook!

No political post on the Jets football forum please.

FJF, Borat, Footballgod214 and 3 others like this.