Multiple teams have called about Sam

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Feb 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree with the bold. I don't think JD will wait that long. If the Jets don't trade for Watson, JD will have to have a plan going forward at QB. It will either be Sam and the rookie competing, or Sam starting and the rookie sitting or Sam being traded, JD signing a FA QB for a year or two and then drafting one of Fields/Wilson/Lance at #2. I don't think that JD would roll with a rookie and Morgan.

If he waited until the draft, the best FA QBs have probably already been signed by other teams. If he traded Sam at that point, he'd be stuck with having to start the rookie or Morgan, or bringing in a FA QB who wasn't very good at all.

Yes, other teams might be more desperate and willing to give more, but JD would be forced to either trade Sam and then try to find a FA QB who may be no better than Morgan or the rookie, or would have to pass on trading Sam. IMO the wisest course is to go ahead and trade Sam, get for him what they can now so they can go ahead and either draft a player to help the team going forward or use that pick as part of the trade with Houston for Watson. If they wind up having to keep Sam, then they'll lose him for nothing, as I see no chance he develops into a quality QB here in 2021.

#261 NCJetsfan, Feb 4, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
  2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

if they really wanted to start foles they could have. they didn't. both QBs werent good

3. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

They did start Foles... for Weeks 4-10. Week 11 was their bye, Trubisky started week 12 because Foles was injured, and by the time Foles was healthy Trubisky played well enough to keep his starting role through the rest of the season. He was awful in their playoff game.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  4. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Trubisky benched after 3 games.

Foles started 7 then got hurt.

With Foles out, Trubisky went 3-3 so they continued with him. He started their playoff game.

The only reason he started a game after Week 3 was because Foles got hurt.

5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

thats the point foles never held the starting job. they didn't love him as their starter

6. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

You may be right, though keep in mind we signed a back-up (Flacco) last year in May after the draft. My feeling is, he will not trade Sam until the draft if he only gets low ball offers, like below 3d rounder, since there is a high likelihood he can get more during the draft. We only need a back-up QB, not a starter if we draft Wilson. My point was that JD has options, and there is no need to rush and trade for a low ball offer before or even during the draft.

7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I see the same thing. IMO JD will make a reasonable attempt at Watson, which will more than likely be rejected by Houston and then move on with his original long term plan. If his intention is to trade Sam, he will pick up a vet long before the draft. if not, Sam is competing in camp with the rookie. In either case he will draft a QB in the first round, either keeping Sam until the rookie is ready, or trading Sam and playing the vet until the rookie is ready.

8. NCJetsfan

Once again, I disagree with the bold. There are no guarantees that Wilson starts day one, nor should he if he isn't ready to start and play at a high level. It may benefit him to let him sit for half the season or maybe the entire season. I don't think he's better than Fields, and Lance may be the best prospect of those three.

I do agree that there is no need to rush, but I do think that the best GMs have the QB position covered before the draft, i.e., they have an insurance policy in place (a vet QB). Having Sam really isn't insurance if JD is strongly considering trading him or willing to trade him during the draft. The only way I can see JD waiting until the draft to trade Sam is if he signs a vet FA QB like Tyrod Taylor during FA, then he will be free to trade or keep Sam. We were lucky to get Flacco after the draft last year. I hope that JD doesn't depend upon luck again. I want a firm decision made and things in place once we get to the draft. I think other GMs are going to want to have their plans solidified as well, and know who their QB is going to be this year. I think any GM who waits and sees what happen is not very good, and won't be very likely to give up much for Sam. He'll be looking for a bargain, and thinking he can get one after the Jets draft a QB at #2. IMO the trade has to be made before the draft or not until following preseason.

#268 NCJetsfan, Feb 4, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    Noam likes this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

While I HOPE you're right about drafting a QB in the 1st round, I haven't seen anything that indicates he will. Douglas has done a great job of keeping his plans to himself, as much as we're all dying to know what those plans are, it wouldn't be smart for him to divulge them, so literally all options are in play. I know what I prefer:

1. Trade for Watson for a reasonable cost - at this point I'd be ok with the #2, Seattle's 3rd rounder this year, Seattle's 1st rounder next year, and a mid-round pick, and maybe give them Darnold instead of that 2022 mid-round pick.
    2. Draft the QB he thinks has the best chance to be the FQB at #2.
    3. Trade back a couple spots if he's looking at Lance, Jones, or Trask (although that's a gamble).

These are my preferences, BUT...I don't know if Douglas is thinking that way, and for all we know he may still think Darnold has the potential to be the FQB, and there is no one here that knows more than Douglas or Saleh and the CS IMO so continuing to post all these strident assertions that Darnold is trash and the Jets HAVE TO get rid of him are just loud wishes and nothing more.

LAJet and Footballgod214 like this.
  10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Yes, it is a gamble to trade back. That's why JD may keep Sam under lock and key until AFTER the draft. Sam gives him flexibility to trade back for more picks. And if the trade back back-fires, he still has Sam which he'll pretend was his plan all along.

Noam likes this.
  11. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

There is no way Sam gives flexibility to trade back. You either plan to get FQB in this draft or you don't. The plan simply cannot be that we feel there is FQB in this draft, but we prefer to get some more assets, and FQB gets taken, it's no big deal. I think for a back-up there is more flexibility, but for FQB, it's just not an option. I do see where JD may want to wait to sign 5+ mil back-up until he trades Sam, but there is simply no chance he takes a gamble like that with FQB.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Ideal scenario is that we sign a good vet, whether it is Flacco, Tyrod, Beathard and trade Sam for a decent price before the draft, then draft a QB at #2. But what happens if we don't get a good offer? Just because multiple teams asked about him does not mean they are offering anything. In this scenario I think JD will still try to sign a QB, but for a couple of mil, like he just did with Flacco. However he would likely not give something like a 5+ mil deal, because there is a possibility Sam will still be on the roster in 2021, and he can end up starting for some time before rookie is ready.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

That'll be the Jets move. Wow you guys nailed it. Keep Darnold, sign Trubisky and let them battle it out. Barf...

We've seen this before. Darnold will get hurt like he always does and Trubisky will come in, look good for a game or two and be the talk of town. Then he will go back to sucking.

14. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

I have a friend who I play football with that's a Bears fan and I have been dogging Tru for years. If we signed him I could never play again...

15. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Darnold is "done" at age 23? The main thing "missing" for Sam has been some help. He has played behind a Mike MacMoron offensive line (which means NO OL), he has been coached by QB- wrecker Adam Gase, He has been throwing to wide receivers fresh off practice squads. And to keep the defense honest, he got to hand off (early and often under Gase) to lighting fast breakaway touchdown threat Frank Gore. MacCagnan gave up a high first rounder and THREE second round picks to get Darnold (overpay). Let's at least try to get something on the investment by giving Sam some real weapons, a better OL, and a decent coach for a change. Give Sam 1 year under decent coaching so we can make a real evaluation. Don't throw away the farm (especially that number 2 pick overall) for Watson, who is somehow unhappy making just $40M a year (a little moody?) I really think the jets could trade down TWICE in round 1 and end up with a lot more 1st and 2nd round picks-- The jets need a huge infusion of talent at WR, RB, OL, TE, OLB, CB, and K. And I hope Douglass does not waste any more picks like QB Morgan or a 6th rounder for a washed up Colts CB.

16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

First off, I highly doubt JD sees any of these QBs as sure fire FQBs worthy of dropping a 2nd overall pick on. Start there.

Jets79 and NOVAJET like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

I agree about the ideal scenario, but I think once JD signs a veteran Sam is gone regardless of the quality of the offer. I think they'll take what they can get. I think they'll get at least a 3rd, and if several teams are seriously interested, I think we'll get at least a 2nd. Rosen hasn't shown any potential at all and has looked awful in the NFL and the Cardinals got a 2nd round pick from the Dolphins for him, so I think one of the interested teams would fork over a 2nd. We're not gonna keep 4 QBs on the roster. If he's just signed a vet, he not going to turn around and release him, and Morgan isn't going to be released. I don't believe they would keep Sam and not draft a rookie, either.

Borat likes this.
  18. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Mac dropped a 3rd overall on Darnold and he was less of a prospect than the guys coming out this year.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

NCJetsfan, Borat and REVISion like this.
  19. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

I think Sam would have been the second best QB prospect in this Draft.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  20. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

And Mac traded up to do it and was widely lauded for the move at the time. Picking a QB at #2 this year is a no brainer.

NCJetsfan, Borat and bicketybam like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.