Miami Herald State Watson Picks Jets as #1 Destination

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by york61, Jan 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Yes. We would have anointed Trevor as the next Montana and laughed at the Jags for overpaying for Watson.

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I promise you this isn’t true. If you could trade Lawrence for Watson you 100000% do it.

FJF and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

Who the fuck on this board wouldn't sign up for that at this point?

Ralebird and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Jets need a QB
    multiple threads on TGG related to every available QB
    Tom Brady is in the superbowl

some things never change

Jets79 likes this.
  5. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Now that we agree on.

BroadwayAaron and chad2coles like this.
  6. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

Of course Tanny is about overpaying for high-end talent, but the reasoning here is definitely viable to me (minus the bit about Josh Allen, I'm still not sold on him as elite).

As an example, even the most optimistic Dolphins fans (Tua a multi-Lombardi guy!) think it would be awful for him to go elsewhere in the division:

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. BroadwayAaron

I just can't fathom someone saying the Dolphins are going to win multiple Super Bowls with Tua in an era where Patrick Mahomes exists and plays in the same conference. There might not be another team to make it out of the AFC for another five years.

8. Snatch Catch

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Then why bother trading for Watson?

Footballgod214 and JetsKickAss like this.
  10. BroadwayAaron

because he gives you a pretty damn good chance? There’s a difference between trading for Watson and building around him as opposed to rolling with Tua and building around him. One is already elite, the other has proven close to nothing.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  11. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

You know this guys opinion doesn't mean shit if he thinks they can "win multiple super bowls with Tua" LMAO

NCJetsfan and HomeoftheJets like this.
  12. Snatch Catch

Some random Twitter posts attempting to drive discussion.

13. Snatch Catch

Of course. It was just really telling to me how scared he is of Watson going to a rival, even while holding the belief that the Dolphins are going to be an elite team.

14. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Oh I get why you posted it. It was just funny reading that comment LOL

Living in Miami, I know damn well the bullshit Dolphins fans spew. They have been doing it for YEARS

Snatch Catch likes this.
  15. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Not that they’ll sit on it, but half of that space will go to Watson after next year unless they renegotiate his deal, which they may do. Also, they will have two, maybe three fewer first round picks....that hurts....harder to find blue chip talent in later rounds.

they will be better with Watson for sure as he’s a top QB, but I think people are minimizing the impact of trading away multiple first rounders on a team that is desperate for talent at SO many positions. We saw what Watson did with shit talent around him....he had a great statistical season and won 4 games. Stanford is similar in that his personal stats are awesome....4000 yards, high completion, and yet they never win. Watson at least has shown he can run a playoff team, which Stanford hasn’t really done, and he’s younger to boot.

But regardless....I would love Watson, but not at the cost of giving up so many picks....two I would do in a heartbeat, either both firsts this year or one this year and one next year. If the price is four picks, I’d laugh and walk away. Three is even tough for me, and I probably would not do it...not because he’s not worth it....I totally get the argument that he is....but because for us, and the state of our roster as it is now, it’s too rich. We need too much help at just about every position. And to hamstring us and put us in a position of having to rebuild an entire roster with a below average number of picks and few premium first round picks, plus a tighter cap once Watson’s deal kicks in, I think is too steep a hill to climb.

but we’ll see...I’m sure if there’s a real deal to be made, JD will be interested....and if the price is ridiculous like some of the stupidity out in the media about 4 first rounders plus Q or some shit like that, I’m sure JD will pass and trust in his ability to build his roster, including QB, the way he wants to build it.

16. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Ross Tucker doesn’t know shit. He used to be on NFL Radio a lot in the mornings and all I ever remember about him is that I thought pretty much every take he had was moronic. I literally disagreed with every pathing he spewed....and would walk away thinking he’s an idiot.

Falco21 likes this.
  17. chad2coles

chad2coles Well-Known Member

I understand the concern with trading away first round picks, but the cap space really isn't an issue. Watson is on a team friendly deal, especially after he gets traded. The Jets have even more cap room available in '22 than they do this year because they have $15M in dead cap space in '21. The cap should also go up significantly in '22 and '23 after going down this year. They could spend all of the close to $80M in cap space AFTER trading for Watson and still have cap space in '22 without restructuring his deal. They could trade #2, #34, '22 SEA 1st, '23 1st for Watson and still have #23, a 2nd round pick for Darnold, 2 3rd round picks and an early 4th in the upcoming draft. That's 5 of the top hundred players drafted this year.

18. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

We won’t and can’t overpay. Nfl is a violet game and going “all in” for more than one or two years at a time is not going to translate into long term success. Watson could potentially make the team way better. However, when a team overpays or kills their cap, it’s very hard to pivot for the next season. I want Watson here, but I don’t want to overpay.

19. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

How does it effect us 6,7,8,9,10... Years from now when Watson is still in his prime?

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  20. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

In a perfect world our team is transformed for a decade, and a slight overpay is worth it. Stripping the team down to the studs isn’t the answer though. I want Watson, but I’m still conflicted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.