Multiple teams have called about Sam

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Feb 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

How much would I give up for a similarly highly picked QB in Trubisky with better statistical production and playoff experience..............nothing.

The problem with Sam (outside of actually playing the position) is that he's now basically a one-year loan before he hits FA so the team that gets him HAS to commit to starting him to evaluate him rather then stash him and try fix him. The glut of functional QBs on the market isn't helping his value either.

Jonathan_Vilma, Vinco and REVISion like this.
  2. chad2coles

chad2coles Well-Known Member

I guess there's some value in Schefter speculating that Darnold is worth a late 1st. I didn't think the Jets could get a 2nd for him without sending back a 4th. Maybe something like the Panther's 2nd round pick for Darnold is possible, they do have 2 2nd rounders at #40 and #44. Surprised to hear him say that though.

3. Vinco

Vinco New Member

That's why if I could get a first for him right now, I'd take it and run. His contract is nearly up, and if I can't get Watson just sign a veteran for a year and draft a high ceiling rookie like Trey Lance.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  4. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

Obviously a wide range of opinions about Sam and wide range of logical arguments

if we do trade now it’s the epitome of trading low

regarding the one year left issue why can’t that be renegotiated? Seems like fair consideration to ask for such in exchange for the opportunity to reboot a career.

5. Vinco

Vinco New Member

Getting a first for an unproven is a good deal.. He would want 25 mil+ especially if he shows improvement.

6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

You ask for a 1st. Maybe you don't get it, but that should be the initial ask. People think he's good, it doesn't matter if he is or not

ColoradoContrails and Vinco like this.
  7. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

What I meant is renegotiate before he plays this year. The notion is some team saying in effect we give you a chance to reboot your career but you have to give us a fair deal for us to offer you that runway

it might end up that way anyway if they let him walk because that might be the best deal he’ll get. This would allow him to begin that one year sooner

8. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I said this elsewhere, but it feels like players always get moved for more than everyone originally thought. Jamal Adams going for two firsts was a huge surprise. Maybe teams at the bottom half of the round would rather have a QB that has showed some positive flashes.

That would be huge for the Jets rebuild. They could take their QB at one, address OL/CB/WR all in the first 34 picks. Not to mention the ability to trade down, which I do think will happen at some point.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  9. Vinco

Vinco New Member

Then we're putting a lot of faith in a guy that hasn't shown much though. And he'd still ask for 20 mil.

Teddy Bridgewater is the cheapest starting QB at $21 mil per year (non-rookie deal)

#129 Vinco, Feb 3, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
  10. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Sam will likely go for a 2nd plus another pick which will equate to low 1st rd value, like Schefty said.

Sam is still viewed as a QB with potential despite what all the TGG football geniuses want to believe. Plus he is only 23 years old and has been saddled with the worst coaching and talent in the league.

I think the only team that would potentially send a 1st for him is NO as they are not getting a better option where they pick. Their salary cap situation is so fucked though they may just choose to start completely over.

Sam is a better option than any QB in this draft that will be drafted in 2nd round so any team that needs a QB and doesnt have a chance at one of the top QB options becomes a possibility.

11. tooooon

tooooon Active Member

This all F’ing day. We can break down Darnold’s crappy stats, crappy record, crappy injury history, etc. It doesn’t matter. If teams out there think they can win with him they will trade for him. And since he’s he’s a young QB they will give up more than you think.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

Teams in the bottom half are generally competitive and if they are looking for competent QB's who have shown not just flashes on a couple of drives but a game or season then the current FA's who'd make more sense are;

Prescott (Probably not hitting the market), Trubisky, Fitzpatrick, Tyrod, Dalton, Flacco and Newton.

If you wanted a young, cheap reclamation project then you could make a move for Rosen.

If you were looking for a half decent spot starter then there's Beathard, Allen, Minshew (maybe) and Bortles.

13. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating for Darnold. Clearly his play has not been first round pick worthy.

But I didnt think the Jets would get two firsts and a third for a blitzing box safety. Teams value late first rounders way less than early picks, and maybe a team think he's worth trying to "fix."

14. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

there really shouldn't be an argument about that on this site.

(well, apart from using poorer instead of more poor lol) :p

15. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I disagree with this sentiment. Sure, this definitely sounds like Schefty's opinion and not a fact that he has heard the Jets are getting 1st round offers for Sam but to say his opinion doesn't carry more weight than people on this forum is a pretty wild statement to me.

We're talking about one of the most plugged-in guys in the NFL at this moment, so you have to assume that this is more of an educated guess than a "wild ass guess".

Could he still be wrong? Absolutely but I tend to think his guesses are more in line with what he's hearing, seen, etc.

Jets79 likes this.
  16. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

I live in Ohio not far from Ohio State, and I will say the same thing most OS fans will even agree on, Fields in not the guy.

Fact: Mike Tomczak has the honor of being the best NFL quarterback that Ohio State has ever produced. So the bar is pretty low.

Jets79 likes this.
  17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

These are the exact reasons why he likely has little value. Franchises can opt for plenty of other low cost reclamation projects OR wait for Sam to hit free agency in a year because I doubt we pick up his fifth year option.

Also - why would a team picking in the lower half of the first round or even into the second round choose Sam over Mac Jones, and Kyle Trask or take a crack at developing a mid round prospect like Kellen Mond (who I strongly dislike as a pro for the record)?

18. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I know what Sam has been since he got here but it's also 10000% understandable if a coach or team thinks they have the system and infrastructure to make Sam a decent starter. It's also not crazy to think that a team thinks they can get more out of a 23 year old Darnold than any of Trask (22), Jones (22) or Mond (21). Do I think we're getting a first for him? No, definitely do not. But I also wouldn't be shocked if a team values him more than any of the three guys you mentioned.

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

So Sam would pretty much be the first high draft pick that got drafted into a poor situation and greatly underperformed his draft range to net a first round draft pick if this ends up happening.

20. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I'm saying I don't think it will happen but I also don't think it's crazy to think a team would prefer to basically spend a pick in the 20s on Darnold over either of the three guys you mentioned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.