Miami Herald State Watson Picks Jets as #1 Destination

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by york61, Jan 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twown

twown Well-Known Member

If you watch the end of the clip that NC linked just above, you can see Watson's fingers are nowhere near the laces, even though he had plenty of time to "correct" his grip. Intrigued, I poked around and found this quote from 2019:

"We were just running around, playing in the neighborhood as kids, when my older brother handed the ball to me and said, "If you're gonna throw it, this is how you hold it." And that was that. It wasn't until middle school and high school that I really started changing my grip and using the laces on every throw. I just flipped the ball over and started using the laces. My hands are so big, it wasn't much of a difference. Starting out without the laces has helped me plenty of times in the NFL. It happens a lot, and I don't even think about it until I see it on film and realize, "Wow, I threw it without the laces." -- DW.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...r-jackson-reveal-stories-their-football-grips

2. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

The PA will push it through for 1 more year is my guess.

It is kinda like the Palmer situation ur right. Forgot about that. If McNair is as stubborn as Brown was in that situation Watson is in trouble...

3. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

That would be a terrible move. Once you opt out, you can't play for anyone, not Just Texans and you basically lose entire year. Watson will have tremendous value after this contract too, waiting a year in his prime while having current contract pushed back a year is akin to losing 35-40 mil dollars instead of sitting out a few games and then likely getting traded or even sitting the whole year at 15 mil. Besides, we don't even know if it will be similar to 2020, as by Sept the could be vaccinated already.

Bottom line: COVID rules are not beneficial to Watson at all, and have no bearing on this situation whatsoever.

4. Rockinz

Pretty much on the money

5. Rockinz

They can use it as leverage because the Texans can’t fine him is the angle. It’s a minute thing but it adds to the push for a trade.

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Boomer & Gio have had Palmer on their show a couple times (at least once I remember around SB time actually last year) and he's completely disconnected from football so he doesn't strike me as the type of guy who has any sort of regrets. But I'm sure if he cared to really analyze his career he'd wish he never forced his way out. Cincinnati rebuilt pretty quickly and ripped off five straight playoff appearances while he flipped in Oakland before having two good years to finish his career.

I fully believe McNair is equally as stubborn.

7. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

What are you arguing the fans would be so upset about that they would do so? Do you believe the Texans fans want Watson traded and would boycott the team for not trading him?

there won’t be any long term meaningful boycott by other players against the Texans because they expected Watson to perform the contract he signed. Those are all simply excuses contrived to defend your position.

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No. I believe that the fanbase sides with Watson. They know what incompetent asses Easterby and McNair are. Of course they'd rather keep Watson, but not when he doesn't want to be there and has been lied to an mistreated by McNair and Easterby.

They are not contrived excuses. I don't do that. I can't help it if you can't see the reasoning. That says more about you and your limited perspectives. You obviously haven't been reading all the news coming out of Houston. That's OK. I don't feel the need to discuss this with you any further.

JetsKickAss likes this.
  9. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I disagree that the fans would be angry at the organization for not trading him. I’m sure they are angry now at the management for angering Watson to the point that he wants a trade, but that doesn’t extend to them continuing to be angry at them if they refuse to trade him...especially if Watson relents and is forced to come back. the fans will certainly be angry if they end up trading him.

Free agents will go where they can make the most money; not many players will turn down the Texans money. Any perception of the management can be rectified with a few good decisions so nothing about this incident will turn them into the Houston Lepers long term.

10. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

I have a very good pulse on the Houston media and fans; been reading the forums and the Chronicle for a few years now.

They believe they can con the Jets into overpaying. They think because BoB was dumb to panic on the Tunsil deal, that we will, too.

I emailed John McClain and Jerome Solomon who I've conversed with in the past; told them if there is a deal that the #2 pick is at least 2 and maybe 3 #1 picks by itself. No way it's the same as deferred picks a year or two out from a playoff team.

No word yet from them, when I get or see a response I'll post it here.

jonnyd likes this.
  11. JetsKickAss

Watson isn't blameless here. He's been a bit of a prima donna, lets be honest here.

(1) He signed the contract AFTER Easterly was on board.

(2) He signed the contract AFTER Hopkins was traded.

(3) He seemed to blame the firing of BoB for alot of problems. While BoB The Coach may have done a good job overall, BoB The GM was horrible.

(4) Easterly didn't initiate the Hopkins trade (though Watson was told that) -- BoB did.

I still think Miami is the best place for him because the Dolphines are basically a playoff team right now, so add DW and subract some picks and they get alot better. The Jets are a 2-14 team that MIGHT get to .500 with DW minus all the talent they'll be losing via picks.

Jets79 and chandler like this.
  12. chad2coles

chad2coles Well-Known Member

The 2-14 Jets didn't benefit from any of the draft picks they'd give up for Watson, so why does that impact how many wins they'd have with him? What about the improvement in coaching replacing Gase with Saleh? What about the $80M in cap space they would have after trading for Watson while most of the league will have very little cap room? The draft picks they add in the '21 draft?

Cromartie's_kid and JetsKickAss like this.
  13. JetsKickAss

And with Watson........8-8 probably at best.

14. chad2coles

chad2coles Well-Known Member

So do you think they'll just sit on their cap space after trading for Watson and miss on their draft picks?

15. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

Not a fan of his.
    The Watson saga is likely to go on for many more months. Neither the Jets or Texans will likely budge until after the pro-days. Both teams would be irresponsible not to do a full and complete evaluation of the available QBs.

Jets79 likes this.
  16. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

That is like the nightmare contained within :eek:

17. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

This thread wouldn't even exist if we tanked properly.

K'OB and Jets79 like this.
  18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yeah, I floated this scenario in the last thread and apparently if Douglas plans for all scenarios including this one, it equates to Douglas "playing it safe."

Jets79 likes this.
  19. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Are you sure on that?

ConcordeChops likes this.
  20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

If Woody had gone right to the police, this would never have happened.

And I disagree. If the Jets had the 1 pick, we'd be halfway through the third thread for this and at least 5 people would have been suspended already instead of 1 or 2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.