Multiple teams have called about Sam

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Feb 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

The only way we can get a 1st for Darnold (a late one at that is if we package a pick with it. Maybe Sam + 67 for a late 1st like New Orleans' pick.

Maybe we can target Indy's 54th overall pick for Sam + a 5th

Trading Sam straight up for a 1st just isn't realistic in my opinion.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Sounds like FJF is a reporter now.

3. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I have a hard time believing that the Panthers offered the 8th pick for Stafford. That pick is worth triple what the Lions received from the Rams. The Lions would be crazy to take the Ram deal over that. I have to think that Conner was misinformed.

King Koopa and Borat like this.
  4. NYJFOREVER

He's quoting Albert Breer.

The only way that 8th pick is actually worth triple what the Lions got is if someone wants to offer that. I don't think any team will give up multiple 1s to get to 8 in this draft. Lawrence, Wilson, and Fields will all be gone by 8.

Buffalo moved from 12 to 7 for 2 second round picks to select Josh Allen. That's not triple.

5. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Teams do their homework and if they decide to trade for Sam will have watched every snap he’s taken in this league...I agree some coaches may think they can fix Sam beyond what he’s shown so far but still, teams will research the issues heavily

Maybe on straight play action he’s not good, but he’s pretty good throwing on the move and in bootleg situations which is a staple of the Shanahan scheme.

Regardless I’m not even saying I believe he can be fixed, I’m just saying that I think it’s atleast possible. It seems like you (and others) are saying there’s zero hope?

#45 King Koopa, Feb 1, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
    chandler likes this.
  6. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Also, we don't really know what else was involved in Carolina offer, maybe a player dump too, like Rams had with Goff, but without extra first.

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

You're again trying to peg value based on that silly chart. Two first round picks represent two potential premium players. One first round pick represents one.

And they got a starting quarterback in the Lions deal. Goff isn't worth his money but he's also not complete garbage as he's perceived. He's solid enough.

J-Raw24, abyzmul and Red Menace like this.
  8. NYJFOREVER

I loathe that god damn chart. Assigning a general value to a pick is great and all but it's worthless without context.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It's the type of chart that 31/32 teams don't use. I say only one did because it's the type of thing I imagine Mike Maccagnan had laminated copies of all over Florham Park.

10. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

I think ultimately he goes for a late 2nd rounder. Bridgewater coming off a serious injury went for a late third.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If he's already hard at work working on his footwork and reading Ds, I think he has a chance. If not, I think there's close to zero hope of his ever reaching his potential if he starts in 2021. I think that his only real chance of ever realizing his potential may be if he can sit for a year, work on his flaws and learn from a HC/OC who know how to teach/groom QBs and maybe watch a top vet like Ryan or Wilson or Stafford. I don't think he will have the luxury of sitting in 2021, nor do I think he would want to.

12. NYJFOREVER

It depends on how teams view Sam, which is something none of us truly know.

Sam is more physically talented and has more playmaking ability than Bridgewater ever had, but Bridgewater had more success than Sam ever has. What

What we get for Sam is purely dependent on how the league views his potential.

Jets79 likes this.
  13. chad2coles

chad2coles Well-Known Member

Watson’s had 3 full seasons and led his team to the playoffs twice. Last year the roster was butchered by an unqualified chaplain and 2 different head coaches lost their job. The playoff game they lost to the chiefs, Watson built a 24-0 lead and had 3tds and 0 turnovers.

you have no idea what you’re talking about

14. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

Sam has more value than Teddy did three years ago. That is indisputable given the injury Teddy was recovering from. Keep in mind Teddy was dealt for a pick in the following seasons draft. A current draft pick is more valuable than a future draft pick.

My guess is Sam will be dealt after the draft for a 2022 2nd rounder.

15. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

The 8th pick in the draft is worth 1400 trade value points. The Rams gave up 450 trade value points to get Stafford that is almost exactly triple. The math goes like this. The Lions 2022 1st round pick has a value of 330. Their 3rd round pick this year has a value of 120. Totaling 450 in value. 450 trade value is right in line with what their teams have given up for big name players in Gazed and Confuseds thread about what is the 2nd pick worth. A lions beat reporter said that the Lions gave up the 2023 1st rounder with a value of 145 points in exchange for taking on the contract of Goff.

#55 Noam, Feb 2, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
  16. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Is this some of that "new math" stuff?

NoodleArm, Noam, jonnyd and 2 others like this.
  17. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

I haven’t seen this post but am curious. What were the criteria? If it’s based on something like him not hiding the ball that would be concerning. If it’s based on yards that’s a whole different situation and gets to running back and coaching

personally I believe your running game needs to be established and somewhat feared plus you need the right situation eg medium or short yardage for play action to be effective. Did we have that last season?

18. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

Saying Sam is good at throwing on the move or bootlegs is saying that he can only really function when you take half the field away from him (unless he throws across his body again) which to me is a huge warning sign that he can't process at the speed needed. Sure, I can look at Sam and see the physical traits but there have been hundreds of QB's who have looked the part but what makes them long term starters is the mental side of the game.

Maybe he can have a Fitz or Tyrod type of career where he can see spot action, be the bridge guy that takes a beating for the rookie but I'm doubtful of even that.

If anyone offers anything 3rd round or above then you snatch their hand off.

bicketybam and zace like this.
  19. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

The move is trade Darnold now and add that to the Watson trade

bicketybam likes this.
  20. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Unless they legitimately want Darnold to start next year, he has to go.

It's whats best for him and whats best for the Jets. And who knows what the Jets will receive as compensation. Every time I think I have a grasp on what a player is worth, they get traded for significantly more. Maybe they can pull a late first, or a first in exchange for Seattles third.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.