Multiple teams have called about Sam

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Feb 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Wilson? But what about Fields?? You don't like Fields?

Is it because Fields isn't cerebral enough? Not a workaholic? Doesn't have enough hustle?

#21 abyzmul, Feb 1, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Idk it could happen. For some reason people think he's good

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  3. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Except he said no to Q. So theres that aspect.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Leicester Jet and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

for me, I’m super wary of Fields for a couple of reasons.

first, Ohio State, great program that it is, has NEVER developed a top NFL QB. Think about that. It’s a GREAT program. Yet they have never developed a great QB. I don’t know why that is, but it’s troublesome. And yes, I get that Fields is none of those prior guys. But there is a problem here.

second, most of his games and the highlights that I saw showed me that on most throws, he has hours in the pocket and his receivers are wide open. He doesn’t have to make NFL quality throws very often. Not that he can’t, but he hasn’t had to. His game will be night and day different in the NFL where he will be pressured and his receivers will be covered. He’ll have to make his reads. It’ll be an adjustment

so not that he can’t make it as a top flight franchise QB in the NFL....but if he does (and if we take him #2 overall he damn well BETTER be a franchise QB)....he’d be the first to do it from OSU.

it’s a risk for sure

Now on the other hand, he showed a lot in that Clemson game....so it’s not like he doesn’t have talent. But I just don’t know how he’ll translate to the NFL...it’ll be quite a rude awakening I think

5. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Huh?

6. Cromartie's_kid

Cromartie's_kid Well-Known Member

He said he’d listen to offers for anyone. Was it ever said he was unwilling to take calls on Q?

7. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Yeah it was actually, that one was a hard no.

8. Cromartie's_kid

Cromartie's_kid Well-Known Member

K hadn’t heard that. Hope he doesn’t move Q - think that heh as loads of talent.

9. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Yeah thats kinda how i know they dont see sam as the qb of the future.

They are gonna talk him up to get the best deal they can.

Its different right? Having a GM keep his cards close to the vest? Its kinda nice.

REVISion likes this.
  10. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

All of these teams had qbs this last year, with better stats than Sam. Brees could retire, if he does the Saints are still like 50 million over the cap, they are in rebuild mode at that point. Colts need an established qb, I would take Cam before Sam if I were them. I think with so many QBs moving around , yes teams are exploring every option. does not mean Sam is a hot option. Mitch Tubinsky has a hell of a resume compared to Sam and the bears are running him out of town. I think that the Lions are going to trade Goff, his salary numbers are not that bad after the rams ate his signing bonuses. San Fran, Washington, or NE. Detroit is in a complete rebuild. They could get a 1st for Goff or maybe a 2nd. The guy is 2nd in wins over the last 3 or 4 yrs, went to a superbowl. He is not a superstar, but he is Darnold's ceiling .Detroit with all of their picks needing a qb with all of their draft capital could trade up to either 2 or 3 to get their new franchise qb. Detroit needs to tank next year.Goff just gives them some extra wins they do not want

11. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

If Sam does receive a lot of interest from multiple teams offering solid returns, we really need to stop and think about the why before trading him away.

My first choice is still Watson with a fair deal (not completely overpay) but I’m coming back around to trading out of 2 for even more picks and just making the team really talented between all of the picks and the free agency money.

Sam can finally prove his worth in a QB friendly system with a strong team and coaching around him.

My main point is if other smart teams think they can fix Sam, why can’t we be that team?

It’s definitely a gamble, but it’s actually a very high ceiling if it works out because you’re not using any extra picks on the QB making the team even stronger

chandler likes this.
  12. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

Sam is likely the fourth or fifth option for teams at this point. My guess is that his market doesn’t materialize until until other situations are resolved.

13. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Because its 3 years and he hasnt show any improvement, in fact he got worse. There are usually things you can point to and say oh he did that better....josh allen for example, he stood in the pocket longer after his first season, and after last season, he improved his accuracy.

What can any of us say, Sam def has improved on?

14. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I don’t have the answers because you’re right, but if that’s the case then why would anyone else be interested?

The only thing I have is that he flashes single great plays/ throws, he has the raw talent, he’s still young, and he was in a piss poor situation under Gase.

I really want to get Watson, but if I’m being honest, none of the QBs have jumped off the page for me in this draft the more I’ve researched everything.

I just don’t think it’s a terrible idea to roll with Darnold, Morgan, and maybe a cheap vet and then trade down at 2 for a haul.

Pepsiguy5 and chandler like this.
  15. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I mean youre not giving a crazy take. There is a scenario in which this can happen.

King Koopa likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

IMO the Steelers and 49ers should come off that list. Big Ben is not retiring, so the Steelers won't be adding a new QB. The Shanahan offense heavily relies on play action. Did you not see the post within the last week or two that showed that Sam was one of the worst play action passers in the NFL, if not THE worst? He is not a fit for Shanahan's offense. I'm not sure that he's a fit for ANY offense.

17. NCJetsfan

He wouldn't have had to mortgate the future to get Stafford. The Rams didn't give up all that much, and some of that was because they took on Goff's contract.

18. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

If we can actually land a first for Darnold we need to take it considering we won’t get anything next year....

It sounds like JD paid someone to write this article to be honest :)

19. NCJetsfan

No, we don't. FJF reported several weeks ago that he had seen a number of comments/posts on Twitter indicating that a lot of other teams think the problem with Sam is that the Jets hired the wrong coaches, didn't build around him, and mishandled Sam. They haven't seen him up close and personal every game, every day during the season, nor have they worked with him. Coaches have egos. They think they can fix players. IMO there is no good reason for keep Sam and trying to build around him. That would be a fool's errand.

Sam is not a fit for Shanahan's system! He is rated one of, if not THE worst at play action passing in the NFL, and that is a major basic component of Shanahan's system.

#39 NCJetsfan, Feb 1, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
    matt robinson 17 and REVISion like this.
  20. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

They inquired about Stafford because they will have a major influence on the QB market this offseason one way or another. They will either trade Sam -- which is clever to check on Stafford to see what his trade market is -- or the 2nd pick, where a QB will be taken. Either way they are making/answering calls to help them feel out the market

Basically what Connor said

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.