Miami Herald State Watson Picks Jets as #1 Destination

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by york61, Jan 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

2. NOVAJET

Guess this was bologna^

egelband likes this.
  3. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

So more potential COVID opt out rules could give Watson some relief from no show fines?

4. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Can't play musical chairs unless you have a chair secured.

The Jets could offer the highest package and Texans/Watson could opt to go elsewhere. Then what? Flacco?

5. NOVAJET

Then use the #2 to draft a QB or trade back a few and draft a QB.

6. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I think that's what we will wind up doing right now.

I feel like Douglas is conservative.

I would love Watson but I don't see it happening for the Jets.

7. NOVAJET

I'm far from optimistic as well for Watson but we can trade Sam now since we pick 2nd and have our choice of QBs. I prefer to trade down a couple then take a QB as I'm not sold on any of them but it's not my job to know I guess. If someone offers a 1 I think we have to pull the trigger.

8. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Looking like Cousins maybe on his way to San Fran

9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If you're referring to trading back a few and drafting Lance, we'd have to be careful because we could run the risk of missing out on a top QB altogether.

10. tooooon

tooooon Active Member

Maybe he’s a Conservative but trading Jamal Adams and making multiple draft day trades was far from conservative.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. tooooon

tooooon Active Member

Link?

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

There's a lot of rumors out there but nothing completely confirmed by higher up insiders.

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-sports/kirk-cousins-trade-rumors-involving-49ers-swirling-again

Shanahan's connection to Cousins makes this a bit more realistic. Not sure why Minnesota doubled down on Cousins and extended him if they were considering moving him, but they badly need a short-term rebuild. They gutted their defense pretty badly over the past year or so as everyone aged out of their prime. They also have a very weak pass blocking line.

13. tooooon

tooooon Active Member

Thanks. Doesn’t seem far fetched.

14. NOVAJET

I know, ugh. Really I'm one of the few in the all in for Watson camp. More so than most, I don't expect to get him but it's embarrassing the amount I'd be willing to give up so I am reluctant to share:rolleyes:. For a perennial pro bowler at the most important position if I am JD (which most will be glad I'm not) there isn't many deals I wouldn't do. 3 firsts would be my floor for negotiations not my ceiling.
    It's not just Watson we would be receiving, we would instantly be a FA magnet for guys like Robinson.

egelband likes this.
  15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

We must embrace for a crazy off season after the SB. Unfortunately for every piece of news we get there is a ton of twitter turds spreading BS across the media and getting many fans all wrap up in it, running around with their hair on fire. The comments about Stafford and the Jets are interesting, but in my humble opinion. there was no way, no how JD was departing with 2 first rounders for him. Next two months will be hell to live with sorrounded by more misinformation than facts from nearly every one. If true to form, most likely is to look at the team no one talks about, as they might end up with Watson. Not one word was ever mentioned about the Rams and bingo, the trade was made.
    I will be royally pissed if Watson goes to NE, any other team I can almost live with it.

egelband likes this.
  16. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

[​IMG]

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

There's plenty of people in the All In for Watson camp.

You're one of the few people in the Batshit Loco for Watson camp.

LAJet and NOVAJET like this.
  18. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

It's going to be a a large fluctuation perhaps on daily basis, but currently the Jets are favored according to betting odds, sitting at 30%, staying as Texan at 28%, Panthers 25%, Miami 13%. Like I said earlier, we will be around roughly 25% mark until this is resolved for us, or more likely (70-75%) not.

19. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

We have the chair secured, which is #2 pick with Wilson or Fields' name on it. I have no problem with Flacco and Morgan as back-ups, and Flacco can start too for some time - he did a better job than Sam last year anyway. I just don't know if we will get any good offers for Sam now, when a much superior QB was just traded for basically a 1st rounder and change.

20. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

All of this is media and social media based rumors....the only official thing we’ve heard from the Texans is that they have no intention of trading him. We haven’t....and we won’t...hear anything from JD....no way he gives away anything until it’s all done.

so....

we have no idea what, if anything, Houston will demand....like any negotiator, they will start high and demand the moon I’m sure....doesn’t mean that anyone will give up what’s being asked for .... 4 firsts plus seconds plus players, etc.

We also have no idea where JDs head is at....would he give up 3 #1’s or more? Would he rather use the #2 to draft Wilson or Fields, and if so, would he trade or keep Darnold? Would he trade down from 2 and draft a QB later? Actually a lot of options which will allow him to negotiate from a position of strength.

as for me, I think Stanford would have made zero sense for us based on where we are, so obviously no longer an issue but we do know that JD felt the same way....whether he “made inquiries” or pushed hard for Stanford we’ll probably never know, but we do know he didn’t want him badly enough to get a deal done obviously.

I do like Watson a ton, but I’m not in the “do whatever it takes to get him” boat either.

Two things I find funny on this thread....

first, I love reading how most everyone thinks Darnold is the worst QB in the league (and yeah, his stats support that) and yet now I see posts thinking we can trade him for a first round pick. To me, those two statements are contradictory....either Darnold is the worst QB in the league and would be lucky to get back what, a third rounder? But if he’s actually got enough talent and potential to be worth a first, then he can’t be the worst in the league, right? Who knows at this point. Darnold should be worth something because someone will see potential and will think they can get that out of him. Maybe it’s us, maybe not. Don’t know, but I’m guessing JD and Saleh will hedge their bets here. They may draft a QB high and still keep Darnold and let them compete and then trade away the odd man out, or they may trade him away for whatever they can get...but I don’t think they pass on a QB and just roll with Darnold.

the other thing that is really the dividing point is giving up three first rounders....yes we’d still have first round picks in two of the next three drafts, but that’s actually below average, right? That’s less than one per draft. Yes we’d still have seconds and thirds, ok. But our roster is still full of holes everywhere .... we’ve all been through the list, but at a minimum, outside of QB, we still need OL, CB, WR, pass rush, TE, RB....that’s a lot of needs. We actually need MORE picks than average just to catch up, not FEWER picks than average. Obviously QB is the biggest need and Watson would be the best answer for it, but personally, I feel like we are so behind the ball that giving up three first rounders is a tough sell to me. And that’s before any cap contract discussions....so yeah, you can find good players in the second and third rounds, sure....but we need blue chip talent on this roster....we currently have ZERO. None. Ah e Q gets there next year. Maybe Becton gets there. That’s about it. Both promising but both still potential. And there’s no one outside of those two.

so to me it’s not clear cut....4 first rounders gets me out of the discussion....I’d rather trust JD to just draft a QB. 2 first rounders I would do as a no brained. Three is the sticking point for me.

that #2 alone is worth more than the two firsts that the Rams traded for Stanford. It just is.

Yankjetfan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.