Lions Trade Stafford To Rams

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Brook!, Jan 23, 2021.

1. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

Wow! Goff got Brock Osweillered

FJF and HomeoftheJets like this.
  2. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

2 future first rounders from the Rams is worth about 500 trade value points. The 2nd pick in the draft is worth 2600. It will cost the Lions a lot more than that about double that to move up from 7 to 2. But with Goff now they likely will not be trading up.

Snatch Catch likes this.
  3. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

4. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

Not really. The Rams couldn't even have gotten the Jets 1st rounder this year for that package.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Meanwhile they were still 10-6, won a playoff game and had the leagues best passing defense. They also have two cornerstone defensive players, a good offensive line and an elite secondary. Oh yeah and they also visited a Super Bowl in that time.

That shows the value of a good scouting department. Teams can be built without first round picks.

6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

And if Goff were Watson's level, they almost certainly would have won that Super Bowl.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  7. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

TBH I'm happy for Detroit and Stafford. Both deserve it.

People don't know what those Rams picks are going to be worth. We don't know what our Seattle pick is going to be worth next year. What if Wilson goes down for the year in week 2? We could be picking top 5 again next year.

This was a steal for Detroit. Taking on a contract for a high draft pick is like buying a #1. Who wouldn't do that?

King Koopa likes this.
  8. Jonathan_Vilma

If the cartilage in Todd Gurley's knee didn't turn into jelly a couple weeks before the Super Bowl, Goff would be the second coming of Flacco - a quarterback who probably didn't deserve a SB win.

While acknowledging the Patriots gameplan would've been wildly different versus Watson, I agree. He would've beat Brady and friends by a touchdown that year if it was this year's version with McVay.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  9. zace

zace Well-Known Member

This trade really does nothing for either franchise. Both are overrated. Stafford isnt that good, Goff isnt that good, now theyre both going to offenses that probably wont suit them.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Detroit already knows they're going to be bad next year too. They have no out until after next year from all the bad Patricia-Patriot linked contracts on the defensive side of the ball (Flowers, Collins, Coleman, Trufant, etc.).

Play a year of Goff-ball, see if he fixes himself. If not, no harm no foul. You planned on moving on anyway.

Goff is going to hate Detroit. Born and raised in California. Drafted by a squad that moves to Los Angeles and plays in the Coliseum in your rookie year. Nothing but beaches and sunshine and now out to some of the most brutal winters in the country.

11. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Stafford is a big upgrade over Goff and the Rams are going to be legit contenders...they’re basically all in for the next few years and then they’re probably screwed but if they get a title out of it then it was worth it

HomeoftheJets and ouchy like this.
  12. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I had fun reading through the fist 5 pages of this thread.

Every TGG 'expert' got it 100% WRONG! too funny. Not one single correct call. Not even close! "He'll be a Colt". "He'll be a 49er". "He's worth a 3rd and 5th".

Now let me flip back over the the Watson thread so I can read up on what all the TGG experts have to offer! Probably zero correct answers over there as well.

mrodriguez4096 and TonyFtLaud like this.
  13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Stafford isn't as good as Watson, but he's better than Goff. Goff is like one level up from Trubisky.

zace and King Koopa like this.
  14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Insane trade for the Rams. They gave up two 1st round picks so they could dump Goff's contract.

If that doesn't tell you how dangerous a young QB's 2nd contract can be nothing will.

15. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

Interesting trade on many levels

I didn't think a team would give up 2 1s and a 3 for Bradford, but between the "take Jared Goff's contract" tax and the delayed gratification of the picks being 2022 and 2023, does make it more understandable.

I know some will saying trading Stafford put the Lions firmly in the QB market and likely to trade up, but I actually see the opposite. Goff is only 26 and while McVay is certainly a major factor, he has had success in this league. With the guarantees they assumed on Goff's contract, he's definitely stuck there for 2021 and probably for 2022 as well. I understand the Rams were well compensated for it, but do you really take on the $43 million in guaranteed money for someone you intend to be a backup? IMO if they are super high on on any of these rookie QBs, you take the more immediate draft compensation to help trade up from 7 if necessary and don't let that $43 million hamstring your ability to get surrounding help that QB needs. Lance is the only one of these top 4 or 5 that is a developmental guy you potentially have sit for a year. Also, with the GM in year 1 of a 5-year deal and a coach in year 1 of a 6-year deal, they have less immediate pressure than any coach/GM in the league.

To me, the Lions look like a team content kicking the can down the road for a year and seeing if there's something salvageable in Goff.

16. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Fair assessment

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

17. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

the market for sam doesnt exist, btw.

"hey, lets get the worst qb in the nfl over the last 3 years!!?"
    "yeah , that will put us on the upswing!"

18. Losmeister

just glad we diddn get goffed

19. Losmeister

does goff eat patella parmigian??

20. footballfundamentals

footballfundamentals Well-Known Member

Yup. Goff is just a place holder for a year or two. Rams with a huge upgrade and are all in. Lions Definately have ammo to move up to #2?