Darnold, Fields, Wilson, Jones, Trask, Lance

Discussion in 'Draft' started by NOVAJET, Dec 28, 2020.

?

Fields, Wilson or Darnold

1. Fields

22.0%
  2. Wilson

26.3%
  3. Darnold

31.7%
  4. Other - Explain

10.8%
  5. Watson: 3 1st's

9.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

The knocks on Darnold people keep mentioning are accurate. Consistency is one of the most important things a QB can have and Sam is unfortunately inconsistent. He can look like Joe Montana one drive, and then Jamarcus Russell the next drive. I don't know why that is, but it is and has been concerning. Him missing wide open WR's is also concerning. A few bone-headed throws each game too. I remember the Redskins game last season. He had one of his best games. 4 touchdown passes. However, his 1 interception was horrendous and could have been game-changing if Washington wasn't so bad. Stuff like that keeps popping up with him and is frustrating. So I definitely understand the fans who don't want him back in 2021.

I see his talent and positives though too. And at only 23 years old, I think he can improve, especially with a better cast around him. He also carries himself really well off the field.

NYJetsO12, Noam, Borat and 3 others like this.
  2. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Microcosm of Darnold's career was the Pats game pretty good in the 1st half and in the 2nd half threw 2 balloons into 5 man Pats coverage that were intercepted, 3 years of this rinse and repeat, I've seen enough, new coach/new blood/new QB, wish him luck as a career backup like Sanchez

Borat, bicketybam, Lon Chaney and 4 others like this.
  3. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

When you say "missing," do you mean bad throws or just not throwing where he should when a receiver is clearly "NFL open?"
    Because unfortunately he does both.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

4. The Dark Knight

He is mostly an accurate passer, but he does miss a few each game. I was referring to the wide open WR's he just flat out doesn't see or ignores and instead throws it to a covered option instead. That is probably my #1 concern with him. Makes me wonder how many missed big plays the Jets have had in recent seasons.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Trade down and get Lance. Sit him for a year and have someone like Beathard hold the fort.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  6. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Alright I have to ask... What in the world is with your obsession with Beathard?

Ralebird and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

He played for the 49ers and should be familiar with the offense LaFleur will run. I view him as a short term answer until the next FQB is ready to take over.

Gremlin, Rockinz and NYJFOREVER like this.
  8. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

Another scenario I like is trading up to the 4th pick with Atlanta. I would entice them with Mims & the 23rd pick/34th pick. Give them Darnold if they want to move on from Ryan.

I would then take Devonta Smith at 2 and whichever QB falls to us at 4. Both may. Use cap space to sign OL & WR. Must either draft/sign/trade for a good outside LB & Edge. So simple. lol

9. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Lance could easily go to the Falcons at 4...Why are people so convinced we can have our cake and eat it too with Lance by trading down? Other teams need QBs and someone will fall in love with his potential

If we love him as a prospect we take him at 2, it is what it is.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. The Dark Knight

I am starting to think my favorite scenario is picking Zach Wilson at #2 overall and then trading Darnold for a late 1st or early 2nd round pick. Then Douglas can build around Wilson as I wanted him to do with Darnold. Not much of a difference as far as picks go, but you lose a little bit of quality from selecting a star at #2, to selecting a player with the pick you get for Darnold. You get the fresh start with Saleh and Wilson and all the picks to build your roster.

Noam, Lon Chaney, Borat and 2 others like this.
  11. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Lance is becoming my preference.
    Might be able to trade back a couple slots, but I wouldn't risk much more than that.
    And I'd keep Darnold for at least 2021 in that scenario, as I don't think Lance should start right away.

Yankjetfan likes this.
  12. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

This is probably my #2 scenario if we can’t land Watson.

I’m going to be flip flopping between Wilson and Fields for the next 3 months. I think I have Fields ahead of Wilson because I think his ceiling is higher than Wilson’s.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  13. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I really like where you are going with this. At this point I feel Wilson has to be the pick at #2 overall. Fields is also good, but assuming Wilson can get clean bill of health and doesn't do terrible at the combine, his 2020 ascend when he finally got healthy last year, is really remarkable. And unlike that of Burrow, he did it in his third, year, not 5th, plus has a much bigger arm than Joe. If you look at his teammates, they are not any better than the competition. And the guy has the best tight window throws since pff started measuring this stat. Also historically top guy in 20+ yards downfield, makes 65 year throws look relatively easy, best guy in the draft past the first read. These are measures that are really important.

Also, pretty much every former QB who posted reviews on him, said he has special. Here is another example. Even Fields, who is also a great prospect, cannot make this claim. Most people also rate him very high, but there is a bit of concern because of simplicity of Ohio state offense, and the fact he takes very long in the pocket, longer than any other QB in College. Both are great top 5 guys, but it looks like Zach is slowly separating himself as consensus #2, which I believe will be cemented after the combine and pro days.

Now, what happens if we can't trade Sam for a decent comp and he stays and even starts initially while Zach learns, like Smith did for Mahomes. Say he even improves his value and plays decent enough, until Zach steps in, though of course we declined his expensive 5th year option. Do we have any rights to him after the year, and comp, or pretty much he is FA?

14. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

trade down might only be a couple spots....

15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I know Lance is a beast physically, but I for one would be greatly disappointed if we end up with him, while armed with 2nd overall pick to begin with, even if it nets an extra pick in the process. Lance in top 5/10 is a HUGE gamble. A gamble that may be worth taking, but not when you have an option say like Wilson available to you. Anyone who has high degree of confidence Lance will succeed in NFL is fooling themselves. The guy has 300 passing attempts in his career. He did not play this year at all, except for one game, where he had a subpar passing performance. He is a powerful runner, that I think will translate, but QB needs to be a great passer first and foremost. Now, I don't want to knock the guy for one game, but that's the whole point, there just isn't enough data to have a lot of confidence about his next level success.

You also have to recognize another fact. Lance played with teammates who are VASTLY superior to the opposition. If you think Mac Jones stats are padded because he was playing with guys better than opponents, think about this. North Dakota State won 8 out of 9 FSC titles. Alabama players superiority in relation to their competition has nothing on North Dakota State guys compared to theirs. You are going to roll the dice a lot more than with guys like Wilson/Fields, and it's not like his upside is much higher than these two if at all. Sure, he may become a better running QB, but that is not a primary aspect when evaluating a QB. Wilson/Fields are mobile too, have high upside as well, big arms, and A LOT less risk.

I don't mind taking a gamble with Lance too if we had a lower pick, but you just have to recognize there is A LOT more risk with Lance with similar reward as compared to better one of Wilson/Fields. Given we have #2 pick and can minimize the risk while having high upside as well at the far and away the most important position on NFL, it would be unwise to trade down to go with Lance, who by the way may not even be there depending on where we trade down to.

16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

While we armchair GMs can easily say things like "Trade down a few spots, pick up some additional draft capital, and take whichever QB is there", I don't think most good GMs operate that way. If they're looking for a QB, they have a specific one in mind. Only a moron like Maccagnan was dumb enough to trade 4 prime picks (the Jets #1, and three 2nds) on a blind draw. So if you're a GM and you have a QB in mind that you hope will be your FQB and not just a backup, you take him with your highest pick and you don't gamble that he'll be there if you trade back.

I still don't know if Douglas is even looking for a QB, but if he is, I think he takes him at #2.

chandler, NYJetsO12 and Borat like this.
  17. The Dark Knight

Yeah, he would be a free agent if his option is declined. I guess the Jets could potentially franchise tag him in 2022, but I highly doubt any of that happens. If they take Wilson at #2, he will be traded. The Stafford trade showed that many teams are interested in getting a QB, so Darnold will get decent compensation for sure. Probably better than many fans realize right now.

18. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I like this. Even drafting Wilson I’d do the same. The level of competition is just such a giant leap. Really only Lawrence, Fields, Jones and Trask are pro ready. Wilson and Lance could really benefit from a year of development.

19. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I haven't posted on this thread but I want to go on record as favoring that the Jets stay with Sam. I can sum up Sam's issues as "lack of talent" to work with. Jet's receivers are just not getting much separation from defenders forcing him to constantly throw into tight windows. Almost every time he targets a receiver there is a DB right on top. This is not a criticism of Sam but a reality of what he faces when he drops back. With a new coach coming in, if the Jets decide to move on from Sam for one of the other QBs available, it will really going back to square one with no guarantee (except for Lawrence) these QB's will be any better than what we have. The solution is put some real offensive talent around Sam. At least he is NFL tested. These others are all crap shoots IMO.

20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I mentioned on the other thread, Goff was overpaid, so Rams had to give away 1st rounder (or even more) just to get rid of his contract. So, Stafford trade was only late 1st + 3d (or even less if some of that 3d rounder value was used to get rid of Goffs contract). And he is under a very friendly deal of 21.5 mil average over next 2 years. And that's for a guy who is not old at 32, and already #10 or so QB in the League, a proven starter, and a friendly contract for a guy of his caliber.

Sam has only a year left on his rookie deal. After that he is a FA as you said. I don't see a scenario where someone offers 1st rounder after that's essentially what Stafford was traded for. Sam would also need to be a back-up at first where ever he is traded, and then FA after. I am thinking 3d rounder at best at this point, basically like Teddy B. And given Saints actually lost Teddy to free agency after, basically ending up wasting the pick, I am not really sure if we even can trade him for that much. It would really have to be a hand full of teams, which have an older QB that might retire within a year. And Pittsburgh just signed Haskins. So, I can definitely see a scenario where we pick up Wilson with #2 and can't trade Sam for anything more than peanuts and end up keeping him as initial starter while Wilson learns.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.