Woody and JD

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Bellys Lies, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

I was thinking today how JD is a much different GM than we have seen in the past with Woody. Now that Woody is back and in charge it is like the team has new ownership. It will be interesting to see how Woody allows JD to rebuild the team w/o getting involved. Woody has a history of trying to make a big splash at qb, is that JDs plan? So far he seems to allow JD to build a new structure and culture,but how long will he let it last

2. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Did Woody stand on the way of other GMs? I recall he supported them with opened check book, which is all owner can really do. His problem was that he got shit GMs and coaches, and kept them too long. Now we have a good GM, thanks to Chris, good coach, good reporting structure, thanks to JD and Chris, and I don't expect Woody to pretty much do anything but pay for contracts and deals JD puts on his table to sign. Which is all he did before for shit GMs anyways, now he is going to do exactly the same for good one.

Brook!, Aero, azhar80 and 1 other person like this.
  3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Tim Tebow is a great example of Woody Johnson being too involved.

4. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

Wasn't Farve another one??

AJW, ColoradoContrails and papapump like this.
  5. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Tebow did exactly what he was hired to do - get attention and sell seats. Nobody really expected him to play football with any success. Woody Johnson did just fine regarding Tebow.

6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

See above.

7. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Revi$ and Fitz are another two

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

I see Woody as a trophy-hunting meddler. He doesn't micromanage all the football decisions the way Jerry Jones does. He certainly is not a meddler to the degree George Steinbrenner was in the 1980s. However, I do think he swoops in and pressures his GM to acquire certain players that will create a buzz, sell seats and make Woody look like a big man. The earlier posts have named these trophy players. I'd add Le'Veon Bell because I don't believe Woody divorced himself from the decision-making once he went to England.

If I'm correct, then the alleged availability of Deshaun Watson presents a potential problem. If Douglas decides that Watson is worth the draft capital etc. it will take to acquire him, all well and good. However, I'd hate to see a situation where Woody orders Douglas to acquire Watson at any cost even if Douglas thinks the price is too high or the acquisition does not make football sense.

9. Wah

Wah Well-Known Member

Although the Favre season didn't work out... we were actually pretty decent until wk 11 when he tore his bicep and the coaching staff tried to hide it and limp into the playoffs with him.

Andy_M, FlaJet and jets_fan like this.
  10. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Good post

The Jets have a major opportunity with Watson....I am absolutely sure Douglas knows that

They basically just promoted JD to have a lot more control in the decision making...so in a perfect universe it's his decision to buy Watson ..maybe at a high price

Dumb Woody and Chris trust this guy if we get Watson or Pass imo

FlaJet likes this.
  11. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Sort of half disagree with this. Yes, Tebow was a ticket-seller for sure. However, he was also brought here because Rex and his new OC Sparano liked to use the wildcat and it was thought Tebow would be a natural to run it. Unfortunately, by this time, the Jets were depleted of most of the offensive talent that got them to 2 AFC championships. Wildcats are most effective in short yardage situations and the Jets didn't have too many that year. As a result, they tried to run them in 3rd and longs and it just didn't work.

FlaJet likes this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I mentioned this in another thread and I agree. It wouldn't surprise me if Woody asserts his "prerogative" and tells Douglas to sign Watson no matter the cost. If Watson winds up a Jet, and the cost is high, that will indicate Woody's big nose in the middle of things.

westiedog1 and Since1969 like this.
  13. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

What scares me most is the media hype. The media is making it sound as if Watson, a generational talent, really wants to come to Florham Park and nowhere else. Therefore, Woody may feel that if the Jets don't trade for him, it will be seen as a massive failure by the Jets ownership, even if the price is higher than Douglas is willing to pay. That's a lot of pressure on an owner who isn't exactly a repository of football acumen and sound judgment.

What guys like Woody need to learn is that the best way for an owner to become a big shot is to build a franchise that wins consistently. The way to do that is by signing the checks and letting the football people make the football decisions. Douglas seems to be the most talented GM the Jets have had in a long time. If Woody won't trust Douglas to make the football decisions, the Jets are in deep trouble. Winning creates buzz and sells seats.

14. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Woody will be OK. Look, EVERY owner wants some sway over major team hires/acquisitions. We're no different. I don't see Woody as a micro manager nor as a total hands off owner. He's sorta in the middle, which is fine.

westiedog1 likes this.
  15. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I rather have Woody involved over Christopher...Atleast Woody has had some sucess in the past.

16. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The team had some success from 2000 to 2010. Now that we have a HC and GM on the same timeline after a few arranged marriages, we might return to that level and go deeper into the playoffs.

17. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Hearing about the org structure change, that the HC will directly report to JD, was a great change. I think its done elsewhere, but it was clear that hierarchy here wasn't working and there seemed to always be a disconnect from HC and GM.

18. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The coaching staff didn't try to hide it Farve did. He had a consecutive start streak to maintain at our expense.

19. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

You are dead on that the Jets are now caught up in a big media storm, and will face a great deal of pressure

I don't think Watson is a part of JD's plan. He's counting on building through the draft.

But if the Dolphins jump into the lead, or if any other team seems hot on his tail, Woody could panic and try to pull a Tebow, Favre, Revis, etc

To be honest, JD seems to have a bigger backbone, and doesn't seem as weak as McCaggnan, Idzik or even Tannenbaum, and might stand up to Woody.
    It's not fair, but if the Jets don't get Watson, and its perceived to be JD's call, then JD will rise or fall based upon the outcome of that decision.

FlaJet and Since1969 like this.
  20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

As much as it pissed me off, was Kellen Clemens really a much more compelling option than noodle-armed Favre?

ouchy likes this.