Miami Herald State Watson Picks Jets as #1 Destination

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by york61, Jan 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

If they even have to say these things, it's not looking good for them

2. chad2coles

chad2coles Well-Known Member

Per season. So tell me how drafting drafting a WR #2 overall, the position with the 2nd highest miss rate in the first round (QB being 1st), would help the Jets more than getting Watson?

bicketybam likes this.
  3. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

Yeah, they're in a no-win situation. They effed things up so badly with the Easterby ascension and handling of this offseason's hires that they're not digging out of this hole anytime soon no matter what happens. Especially with limited draft capital in the near future.

By contrast, Douglas has the Jets set up in a win-win situation - even if they aren't fortunate enough to land Watson, almost all roads point towards growth/improvement so long as they don't outright f*ck it up.

4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

that's way too much.
    that;s worse then the herschel walker trade

Jets79 and papapump like this.
  5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Douglas said Jamal wasn’t getting traded at one point too

NCJetsfan, apjbfc, Vinco and 4 others like this.
  6. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

It seems like Caseiro is trying to save face - he's making Watson go public to try and shift the optics in the eyes of Texans fans away from the gaping hole of trash that McNair/Easterby are operating from, to Watson being the bad guy.

It's really the only play he could make at this point in time, assuming he wasn't going to actually, you know, work on rebranding the team's image, move on, and focus on the inevitable rebuild. And of course with Easterby in the building, that wasn't happening.

7. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Especially with Darnold throwing him the ball. Nuts.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

NCJetsfan, Vinco and matt robinson 17 like this.
  8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I realize your post was sarcastic in tone.

so: Do you really think Watson is going to play another game for the Houston Texans?

9. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I would fire Joe Douglas on the spot if he traded away the next two seasons worth of our premium draft capital to upgrade a single position. Even an important position.

I've seen first hand how trading a few 2nd round picks for Sam Darnold crippled our team.

Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.

horsehead likes this.
  10. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Okay, over the last 3 years he averages 400 more yards per season then the Jets did last year.

Two of those seasons Houston won their division while the Jets had no starting WRs most of the season, no running game - plus Gase. Meanwhile Watson had DeAndre Hopkins, Will Fuller and Kenny Stills to throw to.

We should also mention that this year he had Brandon Cooks. You know how people are so high on getting Allen Robinson? Cooks and Robinson are basically the same player. So even with an "Allen Robinson" Watson only won 4 games. So we spend the bulk of our cap on Watson and Robinson over the next 3 years. Where does that leave us? We'd still have lass talent then the Texans had last season.

How many wins does an extra 400 yards a year equal? Two? One?
    Oh ya, were set with Watson.

#850 ouchy, Jan 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  11. Wah

Wah Well-Known Member

All Watson has to do is talk shit about Cal and Easterby and he's gone. Its the oldest trick in the Get-me-the-fuck-off-this-team playbook. It isn't rocket science.

NCJetsfan and Snatch Catch like this.
  12. BrowningNagle

he did. And Jamal Adams requested a trade because he wanted a new contract. Watson already has the contract, so its not even about money. He just doesn't want to play for Houston anymore. I dont understand how its possible anyone can expect him to be back with the Texans.

13. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

He will if they refuse to trade him. Do you think he’d retire rather than play again?

if the Texans are declaring they aren’t trading him the latter question needs to be answered.

Considering how good he is there’s no need to bluff to drive up his value. They will get top dollar no matter what, so what would a bluff accomplish?

14. BrowningNagle

Watson had his worst season ever and he threw for 4800+ yards last year. The Jets shitty QBs combined for 3115. That's 1600+ more yards not 400.

1600 yards is 100 more passing yards per game. Hell yeah, thats a big difference on the field

NCJetsfan and matt robinson 17 like this.
  15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I think they are genuine in that they will make every effort to keep him, but much like with Jamal, the end result may be different. With that said, the latest odds, seem to still have him staying in Houston at 40% implied probability. Miami odds went up to 29% after the report that Miami may be preferred destination and not the Jets, and Jets are at 22%. It's going to fluctuate for some time, and I don't think it will be resolved soon.

Given what's happening though, it seems roughly he is a little more likely to get traded than not (60 to 40), and if so, it will be to the Jets or Dolphins, who will have about 25% chance each to get him, and 10% it will be another team. So, about 75% chance Watson is not coming, and we need to focus on the draft for FQB.

16. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

They bluff so teams don't send lowball offers. Whether or not it matters, we'll see.

17. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

There was a lot of poor picks, FA decisions and so much more that the few 2nds we sent for Darnold would have barely made a dent in all the wrong.

18. BrowningNagle

I doubt he retires, he doesn't have to. But I would be shocked if he ever suits up in the Texans uniform again.

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Asian Millionaire Dad Meme taught Deshaun the meaning of wealth, though...

JetBlue likes this.
  20. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I don’t get what you’re saying. Are you saying Watson is a headache and it’s not worth it for the Texans to keep him?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.