How Optimistic Are You?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 21, 2021.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

C'mon Cman, it's a topic of discussion that drives board traffic in what is about to be a pretty slow media stretch.

Anyway, who can really admit to themselves deep down in their heart that Watson would really want to come to this team. THIS team? It's a fairy tale to give people hope and that's likely all it ends up being and in a month people will move on to the topic of our next big draft bust QB.

stinkyB, cval, SOJAZ and 1 other person like this.
  2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I suppose you're right.. Seen this movie too many times.

3. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

ya know he was an uninspired choice for sure. a meh guy. but the combo with him and sam busting and all the draft cap we lost taking sam, and all mccagnans bad move, ignoring the OL for years on end.... a perfect diahrrea storm

SOJAZ likes this.
  4. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

ahhhhh-men, brother.

the playes gotta make the play

5. jackie1013

jackie1013 Member

I’m hopeful. I’m hoping to have a team that has a chance to win every week no matter the opponent.
    I want respect from other teams and their fans. So tired of being the laughing stock of the league.
    I want football to be fun again! I want to win! Optimistic? I’m hopeful.

6. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

I am very much liking JD's ability to pick players, and the potential of the new head coach. Personally, I am hoping they keep Darnold. They could move out of the 2nd position and get several quality players for the exchange. They have a number of additional valuable draft picks in the next few years, as well as a large amount of salary cap space. I am optimistic that we will see winning/playoff football out the the Jets in the very near future.

SOJAZ likes this.
  7. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Coming off the last 2 years with the complete shit-show that was Gase and his pudgy protege, I can't help but be optimistic...

BudJet and SOJAZ like this.
  8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

You can't help but be optimistic when people around the NFL in 2019 are like "I can't believe the Jets got Joe Douglas!" Then in 2021 they say "I can't believe the Jets got Robert Saleh!" The potential is there for them to be a great combo.

It also sounds a lot better than when people said "I can't believe Adam Gase got another head coaching job! What are the Jets thinking?!?"

BudJet and SOJAZ like this.
  9. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

The Dark Knight and bicketybam like this.
  10. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

I am cautiously optimistic. I feel better than I have in a long time - since the Parcells news, but being a fan since '84 has taught me that the Jets will be the Jets.
    Rex seemed like a good hire - he had a core of solid players to build around, however. This team may have better coaching and drafting ability, but the core was definitely better when Rex came in.
    This has been written ad nauseum on this forum, but if they can get the QB right, all will fall into place. A great quarterback can hide a lot of blemishes.

Brook! likes this.
  11. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

We all probably know this, but don't want to believe it!

Cman68 likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No, he won't. Would you please stop with the ignorance or lies (whichever it is)? We will have enough cap space and draft picks to still build around Watson, and JD has shown that he's not going to stand pat, he's going to do what he can to improve the team.

13. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Please don't take it personal. Maybe I'm ignorant but what the heck does lying have to do with it. What you and I would do is doesn't matter. My reading of Douglas is that he will build in free agency and the draft. You may read him differently. We'll see.

14. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

Saleh and the staff he is bringing are all a homerun--

I still think missing out on Lawrence will haunt us for a while, it truly made things so much tougher for this offseason

1) We get Watson, but have to give up so many assets to do so and lose cap space
    2) We miss out on Watson and are stuck with second best QB via draft, which there is heavy debate on
    3) We miss out on Watson and keep Sam, Sam is Josh Rosen right now--he's been awful

TL was the golden ticket, it still hurts that we managed to win meaningless games which no one remembers now, and yes I'm still bitter.

Cman68 likes this.
  15. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

What’s the other 10%?

16. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

I’m optimistic. When was the last time a star player was even rumored to truly want to come here? Or when a star player encourage another star player to COME here?

I have a good vibe w Saleh and analogies to Vrabel who I think is doing a great job. I expect a very solid defense and hopefully enough defensive intelligence to know what offenses are thought to defend and then go build that offense. That was Rex’s primary failing

at the moment we are in a good/ great position w cap and draft assets but we have a lot of holes to fill. Things can turn around quickly

SB? We may need some luck. We need to land some superstars in later rounds. Thought to think of any super bowl winner in recent time who hasn’t had that fortune.

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Performance enhancing substances.

18. cval

cval Well-Known Member

That is pretty funny but I would say the other 10% is injury.

abyzmul likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I said lying because it has been pointed out in detail numerous times that the Jets could trade for Watson and still have plenty of cap space and draft picks to build around Watson. So no one who reads and posts frequently on this forum should be ignorant of the facts at this point. I could understand if someone was new or who only posts once or twice a year not having seen this discussed. No one except those few exceptions should be claiming at this point that we wouldn't have enough cap space or draft capital to build around Watson.

It's one thing if someone is just against trading draft capital, or doesn't really want to win any time soon, or really likes one of the QBs in the draft, I can respectfully disagree with that, but imo it's an insult to everyone's intelligence at this point to claim that we couldn't build around Watson and we'd be making the same mistake we made with Sam or to claim that Watson has bad character and is a diva and malcontent. Those things simply are not true, and anyone who has done any reading here or on the internet can easily find plenty of things that point out that those things are not true.

#79 NCJetsfan, Jan 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  20. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

We always go down this road. New hire we think every guy is the next Tom Landry. Impressions are everything and I just hope Xerzes Saleh get's us playing solid competitive football. That is all I ask not to go undefeated but just play solid football every game and eventually we will get to where we want to be. Also that Douglas continually draft and sign players that can help him and the team be successful. Nothing crazy just be a solid organization like the Steeler and how they continue to reload every year.

Brook! likes this.