Miami Herald State Watson Picks Jets as #1 Destination

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by york61, Jan 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If he sits out 2021, which is his only leverage, the Texans can just toll his contract over to 2022.

2. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

Wouldn't he just lose the money? I don't think he'd be able to gain it back the following year.

3. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Well he won't have been paid for a year and his cheap deal is this season, so I guess they can put hit back a season and in reality, for 2 years he will have earned 10m instead of 42m, so he gets no benefit for essentially striking for a season.

4. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

That's not correct. The only way his contract would toll is if he retired, and then unretired.

If he sat out, he would miss his $10.54 million salary. He would also face fines, he would void some guarantees, and I believe potentially have to return up to 25% of his signing bonus.

In either situation he is financially stable enough to do it. If he sits out a year, he would have a $35 million salary immediately upon return. If he retired, his salary would be $10.54 million upon return but would not face fines etc.

K'OB likes this.
  5. Br4d

If he does not report his team can toll his contract over to the next season.

There's nothing in the CBA that says that players (or teams) can skip seasons that are not favorable to them in a contract in order to get the next season on the board. It's just not there.

The old CBA allowed players to report as late as the 11th game of the season and get credit for an accrued season for pension and free agency. That language is now gone and has been replaced by language saying that a hold out that leads to any significant loss of play by the player will result in the player not gaining a year of accrued service. Further if the player does not report to his team at all the contract may be tolled over by the team.

JetBlue and K'OB like this.
  6. tooooon

tooooon Active Member

Ok.

HomeoftheJets and abyzmul like this.
  7. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

it’s simply a silly position to argue that Watson considers his financial status so stable that he could forfeit this coming season’s $10 million as well as pay millions in fines simply to have to return to play for the Texans the following year, thus losing that money for nothing. Sure, maybe he’s a fucking moron who has no financial sense, but most rational people, including athletes, don’t consider $10 million an amount to disregard.

8. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

For me this all comes to a conclusion just before or on draft day.

No matter what anyone says. If your superstar player hates the owner and has requested out....what fixes that? If you keep him, your doing it at your own risk of getting a fractured team and player. How does it get better?

Look at this no name 65yr old rookie HC. The Texans knew he asked for a trade, and no HC wanted a part of it when they found out that he might not be on the team moving forward.

Texans have to maximize this trade and get what they can now. Then get the guy to say yes to it.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I consider myself one of the biggest Darnold supporters on this site, and I'd prefer Deshaun Watson to Darnold.......by a lot!

10. Terminated117

Terminated117 Active Member

Between the Texans, Astros and the Harden/Rockets mess, Houston has become Shit Show City of the sports world

11. Br4d

To me this is the only scenario where the Texans actually trade Watson and move forward.

If they deal him as damaged goods and accept a big discount on whatever his value would have been before he became disgruntled they have a chance of getting out from under the cloud.

He could go to any of the rumored teams just for a high 1st round pick and a throw-in player (Darnold, Tag, Ryan), the Texans would get real value for him, get out from under some of the contractual obligations - probably enough to be functional in 2022 and onwards - and save some face in the process.

Anybody who is thinking about giving the Texans a huge package for Watson has to be asking themselves two very important questions:

1. Can they win with Watson after giving up the mega-package?

2. If they lose with Watson how long will it be before he starts using his clout to force his way out of wherever he lands?

12. Br4d

Philadelphia is so grateful. This usually happens a lot farther east.

Terminated117 likes this.
  13. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

It’s going to come down to what Watson truly wants. Does he want to win on the biggest stage in the biggest city (NY) ? Or does he want the big booty hoes and warm weather (Miami)...decisions decisions

14. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

From the guy who's been covering NFL football in Houston for decades on end:

15. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

Cimini on with Kay says Jets aren't Watson's preferred destination, and it's "unlikely" they acquire him.

16. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

I heard it and tbh it just seemed like his own opinion.

17. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I'm fine if Cimini thinks Douglas isn't going to trade for Watson (even though that would be depressing news) but on what planet does Cimini have Watson sources?

18. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

so the good news is when the hell were the Jets last considered a destination for a premier player. That's a win in my book,

i've been thinking of the following analogy from basketball, where a single player can make a much bigger difference than in football. Don' t think that's fairly debatable

Is Watson more like Steph or Trae? Both immensely talented. I say Mahomes is like Steph. Not so sure about Watson. Do i give up all these assets for Trae

And repeating a prior question. SOme of the packages being mentioned are rich? Wouldn't the same or lesser package net us TL, and why aren't we discussing that? At least TL will be on rookie scale

and to finish the way I started: the fact that we're considered a destination and Watson wants us for whatever reason is a very good problem to have. Seems like only yesterday we were being spurned by Kirk Cousins

19. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I mentioned this before, but a trade needs to be worked out by March 17th, not the draft. Houston would lose a bunch of potential trade partners once free agency/league year starts.

20. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I think 4 first rounders are going to be what it takes to land Watson. And the Jets should absolutely pull the trigger if it is.

2021 #2, #23
    2022 - one of the first rounders
    2023 first rounder

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.