Miami Herald State Watson Picks Jets as #1 Destination

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by york61, Jan 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

The moment they signed Culley that is the moment Watson knew for sure he needs to escape to NY.

Thats what I am imagining

Brook!, apjbfc and matt robinson 17 like this.
  2. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

The clown that said Watson was only slightly better than Darnold, probably believes Joe Namath was only slightly better than Richard Todd

3. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

65 yr old rookie coach, the last straw

4. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

Heres the video. NY/Jets talk starts around 5 minutes in, and the quote in your tweet happens just after the 6 minute mark.

Here's the video of Sharpe this morning beating Schefter/Rap to the news - he clearly has a source in Deshaun's camp:

5. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Going to be more like COLD SHOWER.... once he ends up somewhere else.... or they mortgage the farm and they have no supporting cast to build around him.

abyzmul likes this.
  6. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

His contract will not toll, where did you get that idea?

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  7. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I want Watson but I wouldn’t let Q go in that trade. He’s going to be a superstar in this league and I’d love to see him blowing up plays here for the next 10 years.

ouchy likes this.
  8. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

Don't tease me!

9. footballfundamentals

footballfundamentals Well-Known Member

His price just dropped.

10. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Remember when we hoped Q would become the next Warren Sapp. Its actually happening now and he is only going to be 23 next year. Do people want to go back to drafting a DT in round 1. Were having a hard enough time completing the d line with Q.

11. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Has anyone said they would be willing to include Q in a trade? I've been all over this thread and I haven't seen it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

12. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Not only has no one here said they'd do it, the only time Q has been mentioned is by media personalities who say "I would trade _____" and list Q. There hasn't even been rumors that he'd be in trade talks.

13. BroadwayAaron

First time it’s been mentioned by a credible source that we’ve been in touch. No mention of Miami...

Chicago scares me a bit, as does Carolina because they are both out of conference and have a full array of picks to part with.

Jets79 likes this.
  14. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

What are the cap situations for Chicago and Carolina compared to us?

15. chad2coles

chad2coles Well-Known Member

No and it doesn't really make sense from a Texans perspective either.

The Texans should use next season the way the Douglas used last season to reset. Clear cap and acquire draft picks. If they are trading Watson, they should bite the bullet and trade Tunsil too. They would have ~5 1st round picks over the next 2 years, including 2 top 5 picks and a ton of cap space. By the time they are ready to compete, Q would need a new contract.

16. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Carolina is middle of the pack. 16th most space. Chicago has the 22nd most.

Both are not in the most ideal scenarios for this.

17. BroadwayAaron

Chicago is going to be over so they’d have to cut some guys. Not even sure who they would cut because all the guys that could get them under the cap are impact players. Kyle Fuller, Akiem Hicks, Jimmy Graham... and they have to make an offer to Allen Robinson. But there are also so many workarounds that I’m sure they’ve already figured out how to do it.

18. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Sharpe’s reasoning has no basis in the reality of the actual leverage that exists. The no trade clause only gives Watson leverage to prevent a trade if he does not want to be traded.

in a situation where he has asked to be traded with five years left in his deal, and a situation in which the team clearly doesn’t give a shit about catering to him, he has no leverage to both demand a trade and demand which team he goes to. The Texans are the one in the position to play hardball with Watson and dictate where he goes, not the other way around and it certainly isn’t the Jets in any position of power.

Since1969 and ouchy like this.
  19. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

i disagree....we wouldn’t have as many. We currently have 5 first round picks in the next three years. Trading away three leaves us with two over the next three years. Pretty clear to me that we wouldn’t have as many. Simple math right? And that’s if it’s only three first rounders...if we need to throw in additional picks then it gets worse.

Ok so getting past that, then the question is really more along the lines of would we still have enough picks to build a winner. Our roster is piss poor right now....we’ve all agreed on that. Outside of QB, we still need help at OG, WR, TE, CB, Edge/pass rush, and maybe RB....

I tend to think we need MORE picks than the average team just to catch up the roster, not FEWER picks. And I’m not talking about numbers....don’t give a shit how many 5th rounders and lower we still have....those guys are rarely true impact players. We need high picks....first, second and third rounders if we want a contender.

not that it can’t work....I think there’s probably some deal to be made here, because I do love the player, but I’m super wary of giving away lots of PREMIUM picks and taking on a huge salary (not this year, but after). For as great as Watson is, he hasn’t win any playoff games....yea he’s got ten wins and made the playoffs, but in those years the division was not great. Tennessee wasn’t what they are today, etc. so we’d be asking Watson to carry us like he did Houston. Ok...I think he can most likely, though our roster isn’t as good as his was when they won the division a couple years ago...they had Watt playing at a high level, they had Hopkins, etc.

I’m torn honestly. I’d love to get him, but I’m not sold on giving away the fucking farm to be honest. I’m not saying he’s not worth three firsts....shit if a box safety is worth two firsts, then it’s hard to argue that a great QB is not worth three, but for us today, we NEED those picks just to get our roster to average. Coaching should help as we were terrible there, but we need roster help in a big way.

I don’t think this is a slam dunk call ... if it were, we’d all be in violent agreement...the fact that this board is so divided shows that there are options and it’s not a clear cut no brained despite the claims of some.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Nothing in the video or the way it's written says we've contacted Houston.

Rap expects the Jets to make a strong push.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.