Miami Herald State Watson Picks Jets as #1 Destination

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by york61, Jan 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Jets81, NYJFOREVER and FJF like this.
  2. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

Sheesh, while I fully understand and accept that Douglas has put the Jets in a positive position no matter how this turns out, Watson going to MIA would be absolutely bruuuuuutal.

3. Snatch Catch

That link is all based on the one article from yesterday.

4. Snatch Catch

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Step one is the Texans getting Watson to give them a list of teams he would accept a trade too. Before that happens nothing can get done because the Texans can't negotiate with teams before Watson lets them know who negotiating with might be profitable for them. Ideally, if Watson really wants a deal to happen that list remains privileged information with only the Texans and Watson knowing who is on it. This would give the Texans the best chance to negotiate a deal because they'd have all their potential partners in the blind - not knowing who else is bidding.

However the reality is that the Texans and Watson are not the only entities involved in the process. Watson's agents may well have reasons to let slip who is on the list Watson submits. They have clients elsewhere who might be impacted by a move of Watson. They have free agents on the 2021 market who might well want to know where Watson is likely headed so they can make plans too. The Texans may have people in that crazy half-cocked environment who believe that releasing the list is favorable to them although it almost certainly is not.

My best guess is that Watson wants either the Fins or Atlanta as his destination and that those two teams are the only ones that will be on his first list. He has much lower taxes awaiting him in Florida and he has hometown vibes awaiting him in Georgia. I think he is just using the Jets as a convenient foil to get the market interested in him and to try to establish that any team would profit from having him at almost any price. The NY media market is the best place to drive up your value because the writers here are always looking to hype things to compete in what is the most competitive media market in the USA. I doubt very much that he wants to come to NY just to lose for a few years before the inevitable regime change following his arrival.

Note that both the Fins and Atlanta have a high 1st round pick this year as the primary basis for a package for Watson. I doubt very much that Watson wants either team to give up much more than that because he has to go play there after the trade. He certainly does not want the Jets to give up a huge package for him because he is going to have to personally live with the ramifications of the trade for years afterwards. Note that he gets the same money wherever he goes and so the only real difference for him is whether he wins or loses after the trade.

chandler likes this.
  6. Br4d

Watson is not sitting out 2021 no matter what happens. If he sits out his contract tolls over and he is another year away from the $35M payout currently due in 2022. There is literally no way his reps let him sit out 2021. They're going to be pointing at $35M, $37M, $32M and $32M down the road as a reason to take the $10.5M he has coming this year and get it past him so the real money can come rolling in.

This is the no-leverage impasse of all time. Watson has no leverage at all to force a trade and really good economic incentives to not sit out.

The Texans have a terrible cap problem that is made worse if they trade Watson under all scenarios.

No leverage for anybody means the most likely result is that Watson just plays for the Texans this year and we're back to square one next year.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I think Joe Douglas has created multiple paths and scenarios for this off-season, but they all have a time limit on when they need to be executed. Meaning, the Jets could be in on DeShaun Watson, but if the Texans drag their feet or play hard ball, I could see Douglas exit the pursuit pretty quick and move on to the next off-season scenario.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  8. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

You’re comparing a running back to a top three quarterback who is the franchise’s only path to mediocrity let alone a championship? Not to mention Pittsburgh wasn’t going to be getting three first round picks plus more if they moved Bell

FJF likes this.
  9. horsehead

horsehead Well-Known Member

3 #1s and Q would be insane for a team that has as many holes as the Jets have.
    Watson is great, for sure...but what did the Texans do last season?
    Are Jet fans OK with that for another 3 seasons, because that's where we'd be without any picks to rebuild.

10. chad2coles

chad2coles Well-Known Member

I don't see a rush unless Douglas has other big trades he's considering. Trading down wouldn't happen until much closer to the draft. I think right now they are working with Saleh to figure out what talent is on the roster and where the priorities are. At the same time, they've got college scouts adjusting their draft boards and people valuing free agents. All of that is happening regardless of whether or not they get Watson. I don't see why they would need to set a deadline for the Texans before late February unless it's part of a negotiation strategy.

FJF likes this.
  11. BroadwayAaron

i’ve said it at least five times but it absolutely boggles my mind that there are people still implying we wouldn’t have picks to build if we traded one first round pick over the next three years each. We would still have just as many as any other team who had a franchise quarterback in place and a full allotment of draft picks.

12. Br4d

Jets fans are demented by 10 years of mostly losing at this point.

If Aaron Rodgers said he might want to play for the Jets and hyped things the way Watson has there would be a bunch of threads on here telling the Jets to do whatever it takes to get him here.

Jets fans today simultaneously believe that Gase/Macc/Johnson's have ruined the team and yet we are just a few quick fix moves away from being a contender. This is about the most schizophrenic view of the team you could have but the average Jet fan is right there.

Footballgod214 and Jets79 like this.
  13. chad2coles

I think it's really unrealistic to expect the Jets to give up Q or any other talent on the roster other than Darnold.

Jets79 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I think you need a plan headed into Free Agency. You may sign different players if Watson is your QB, instead of Darnold or a rookie like Wilson or Fields. Plus you'd have less draft picks to fill the holes on your roster. So if the Texans drag things out past then, the Jets could be out. That is all I am saying.

Jets79 likes this.
  15. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Personally I dont see Miami as being far superior to us other than coaching and hopefully we've addressed that. Their offensive line is not very good, they have no good wideouts and their running game sucks. They do have a decent defense bit it's not like it's the 86 Bears.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

apjbfc and Jets79 like this.
  16. chad2coles

Mac did a terrible job putting talent around Darnold, no question about that. Douglas came in and used last year to improve the O-Line, clear bad contracts and get draft picks. Now the Jets have the 2nd most cap room in the league and more draft assets than any team in the league.

The Jets offense was 31st in passing yards and 30th in passing TDs last season. The Jets offense had 25 TDs last year. Watson had 36 touchdowns on his own with 9 INT and 2 FL. Jets QBs had 16 INT and 5 FL.

The Jets could trade for Watson and still have the money to sign Joe Thuney, arguably the best guard in football, and Allen Robinson, a top 10 WR.

They would still have draft picks and cap space to address holes on the defense. This doesn't factor in the improvement in coaching on both sides of the ball.

I'm not saying they would definitely make any of those moves, or that even if they did they would immediately contend for a super bowl. But it's just a fact that the opportunity to make moves like that are available.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Footballgod214 and Poeman like this.
  18. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

This is wrong.

His no-trade clause alone gives him leverage.

Him sitting out does give him leverage.

Watson sitting out may not net him money for the season. Agreed.

However.. IF Texans don't budge.

Texans will lose money though If he refuses to play.

What will they do If he doesn't play? Who's their backup? Who will they draft to play QB?

They already gave up all their quality picks. Fans know this organization is severely fucking up. JJ Watt has even called out the structure of this team.

It's a very bad look and the pressure is about to be kicked up to 11 for The Texans.

I think you're very wrong on your leverage assessment. The Texans have really fucked up and the pressure Is on now.

Once Watson demanded his trade, The Texans have already lost overall.

Now it's just a matter of minimizing that collateral damage.

Judging this team based on their recent history. It's highly unlikely they get this right.

NYJalltheway likes this.
  19. chad2coles

I think you're right to an extent, but they should be able to have a Watson plan and a non-Watson plan in place. Unless the non-Watson plan involves a big trade, I don't see why they would be in on Watson until late February. They aren't even allowed to contact free agents til late march.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  20. BroadwayAaron

That only reason I'll even somewhat believe this is because Sharpe apparently had the Watson news this morning before anyone else on Twitter reported it.

bicketybam likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.