Miami Herald State Watson Picks Jets as #1 Destination

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by york61, Jan 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

That video was not from last year I thought

2. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I thought that it was sort of faked up at the time but it was from earlier in his life, his hair was different wasn't it?

Or something like that.

3. chad2coles

chad2coles Well-Known Member

I don’t think he can get cut anytime soon on his current contract, and he’s played at a high level when healthy.

there’s obvious risk to to a guy that hasn’t played in 2 years, but there’s obvious upside too.

it just seems like the anti-Watson crowd believes if the Jets trade for Watson, every other outcome (draft picks, free agency, etc) will be negative, but if they keep their picks they’ll draft a franchise qb that they have never had and hit on all the other picks and signings.

Realistically, the safest bet is Watson continuing to produce like a top 5 qb over the next 5 years. I don’t see how you can argue how that isn’t worth #2, ‘22 SEA 1st, and ‘23 1st.

bicketybam and Snatch Catch like this.
  4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

For a good team maybe that is a good deal. For the Jets it just means that we got one great player and had two busts out of 3 1st round picks and that will kill a bad team every day and twice on Sunday.

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

55 minutes have past since the last post in this thread and it made me uncomfortable.

bicketybam and FJF like this.
  6. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

Latest Vegas odds:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/spo...0210127-5tc7q55xxrdp3axmxtl5xjhape-story.html

7. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I don't see how the Jets are a frontrunner when a Belichick disciple and Jet hater is running the show. The last place Caserio will send Watson is to the Jets. But Flores is still a buddy and friend of Caserio which makes Miami along with NE as the likely favorites IMO if Watson gets dealt.

8. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

New article out of Miami this morning saying nothing concrete but introducing more speculation to get us through the day:

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article248795725.html

9. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Jets are the front runners because they have the most draft capital, best draft capital and most salary cap room.

I seriously doubt that Caserio would take a lesser deal that would seriously hurt his chances at success in his new job because his former boss had an irrational hatred of the Jets.

All Gas No Shake, Ralebird and FJF like this.
  10. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I would be fine with Jets first rounders in 21', 22' and 23', and some pick swaps here and there. See what you can get for Darnold and throw that in there if you want.

That would basically give you a full draft this year, and a full draft next year. You'd be down a first rounder in 23', but Douglas would have time add additional capital.

That means the Jets could address WR and OL in the first and second round. If they make the move for Watson they need to do everything in their power to surround him with everything.

FJF and Fiftynine like this.
  11. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

The NFL is about relationships. Relationships matter. For Caserio to stab Belichick in the back the Jets will have to grossly overpay. Miami has similar draft assets and if its even remotely close I am sure he would deal Watson to Flores.

12. BroadwayAaron

If Caserio is making decisions based off who his old team was rivals with then no one should ever ask again why Watson wants out.

13. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

JetsAreBadForYourHealth Well-Known Member

The cost will be high. Extraordinarily high. And I'm very hesitant in parting with as many as 3 first round draft picks. Those picks can be massive difference makers in other areas. The answer we're sure is not Darnold as he lacks the intelligence necessary to be a top QB. But I mean...we can part with a lot less, pick up Matt Stafford, and still build a quality roster. And Stafford isn't 36/37 years old...he's about to turn 33. So you figure that's 3 or maybe even 4 quality years left.

I'm iffy on pulling the trigger on Watson. But the Jets need to be more in on Stafford.

14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It'd be interesting to see how many people would have been in on Stafford if the Watson situation didn't happen first.

K'OB likes this.
  15. BroadwayAaron

if we have to give up 3 firsts for almost a decade of elite quarterback play I would do that every single day of the week instead of giving up 1 first for three years of above average quarterback play. Not even a question in my mind.

HomeoftheJets, FJF and K'OB like this.
  16. BroadwayAaron

I would hope not a lot.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  17. K'OB

Wait until the day you log on and it has been locked, the sense of loss will be palpable for many :D

Snatch Catch likes this.
  18. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I really don't think Miami is that interested in Watson. They have the picks this season to finish their rebuild and become scary. I checked the poll on phin heaven and out of over 300 votes 66% don't want to make the trade. Their fans sure don't want to change course.

19. K'OB

I would have been all set for a draft pick or Sam returning if that is what they want, the temptation of a top 5 or at the very least a definite top ten FQB for the next 10 years may be too hard to pass up?

Of course, if JD doesn't want it to happen or it is too rich for his tastes then it is also fine and we move on.

Stafford isn't for me, a rookie and Bleathard would be fine, I would like to see us let a rookie develop at his own pace for once.

20. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

JetsAreBadForYourHealth Well-Known Member

But there are other ways too. We can draft elite QB play (perhaps) and keep the other firsts. It's just not Watson, Stafford, or nothing.

That elite QB play we'd get from Watson...we'd have to pay for that. A heavy price in terms of cap, in terms of draft picks given up. Will the rest of our roster be at a level to go to a Super Bowl throughout Watsons prime?

Above average QB play + elite offensive line + legit running game...that can get you to and win a Super Bowl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.