Grade the 2020 draft picks

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFan20, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Davis played better in college playing the deep safety. Problem was, Maye’s best position is playing the deep safety/FS. So Davis had to move more down into the box. He was a good tackler but struggled at times in space down there. I felt like he got better as he played moreso as what Adams was. He will be playing a bit more coverage in a cover 3...I feel he will play up in that aspect.

NCJetsfan and Red Menace like this.
  2. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

The hit rate (starting player) in rounds 3-7 is around 25 percent. If you go 2/5 you are doing your job as a GM.

Getting any credible play from players drafted in those spots as rookies is a win.

NCJetsfan, MoWilkBeast, Noam and 2 others like this.
  3. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I’m pretty aligned with this general consensus

the draft was good to very good ... maybe not great ...

Becton was great but I’m a bit concerned about the injuries....hopefully that doesn’t continue. Mims seems like a good #2 WR so the first two picks look good. Hall looked like he belongs too, and from a fifth rounder that’s great.

I too am not sold on Davis but he has speed and some raw skills so hopefully he can develop.

that’s about it, no?

I agree on Perine and Zuniga being bad picks, not sure I understand the Morgan pick but if he can be a solid long term backup or traded for another pick better than a fourth rounder then it’s not terrible, but it sure did feel like a bit of a luxury pick on a team hurting for talent at pretty much every position.

I think the new coaching staff will have a big influence clearly so some of these guys may develop for us

we’ll have to see, but fully agree that the grade after just one year, especially a year with no training camp and no preseason games, should not determine final results....these kids may very well improve

but yeah, overall, I feel like we did pretty well, but I don’t feel like it’s the best draft ever either....though compared to the shit we saw from Idzik and Mac, it sure feels worlds better

4. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

So true. Awful.

5. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I agree with you, I saw the same thing, but I’m not going to grade him until he has a couple of years in the league.

As much as the draft is hyped up, there are only a handful of players that come out and make an impact in their first year.

Everyone else needs refinement, we are so jaded by having bad GMs that we automatically assume the worst in our draft picks, I believe in the next couple of years these guys will be playing excellent football for Jets and this will be considered one of our better drafts.

These are not normal times for teams, all of the limitations they are dealing with are setting back player development.

In JD I trust!

#25 Red Menace, Jan 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    NCJetsfan, Cromartie's_kid and FJF like this.
  6. Mogriffjr

JD also got some solid hits in UDFA.

Guidry did well as a slot corner before he got hurt.

Huff looks like a solid LB, curious how he will fit in the new scheme.

apjbfc, NCJetsfan and Lon Chaney like this.
  7. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Absolutely. I agree 100%.

But Davis was a HIGH 3rd pick (68th). I wouldn't lump him in with dudes we are picking in the 6th and 7th round.

Red Menace likes this.
  8. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Becton: A
    What more needs to be said. He did very well overall, but needs to stay healthy. That's the biggest concern.

Mims: B
    He was hurt before the season started and didn't develop as planned, but showed flashes. Year 2 will be big, but the pick made sense.

Davis: C+
    He showed some promise, but looked lost at times.

Zuniga: D
    I couldn't get behind this pick because of the last Florida Edge didn't play a down for us. Even without that consideration, I thought this was a pick that could've been used on a RB, second WR, or OL.

Perine: C
    He wasn't the RB I wanted and he didn't show much in year 1. To be fair, he was hurt at times and Gase had a love affair with 80 year old Frank Gore so maybe he shows improvement under a new CS.

Morgan: F
    I tried to talk myself into liking this pick and just couldn't do it. Could've taken a second WR in this round as we had a thin group and there were multiple options to pick from.

Clark: Incomplete
    I liked this pick, but he didn't play at all. Can't give a grade yet.

Hall: B+
    He showed signs of being a good CB. With experience, he can become a #2 which is great value in round 5.

Mann: B+
    Need to see more of that booming leg he had in college. I'm still high on him.

Overall, some questionable picks in the middle rounds, but some good players at the top and bottom rounds. Getting 3 starters out of this draft is a decent possibility which is considered a good draft. Time will tell what happens.

9. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Agree about Mann

10. Mogriffjr

Mann is fine. The Jets need new gunners, despite not having a great average, he was STILL kicking beyond the coverage. Jets need speed and not to be ravaged by injuries to the ST guys. He tried to go for more airtime to help cover better but it didn’t work as well.

11. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I will give Mann an F for that tackle against the Rams costing us Trevor Lawrence.

12. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Cannot grade a draft of rookies when there was no offseason mini camps and then not a real training camp and then no preseason games.

The only sure fire grade you can say is that Clarke is an incomplete.
    Becton should be an A draft pick, I would like to see him get through next season without an injury before I would lock that grade in.

I think some here are too hard on Davis was not as “lost” as some people think he was on the field.
    Punting is more than just stats, and Mann pick will turn out just fine.

Mims and Hall look like they can be solid players in the league.

Leicester Jet and K'OB like this.
  13. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

What is this Mann hate? The fuck?

He was one of the few players we actually had being considered for a pro-bowl. Huh?

14. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

Jets are rumored to be interested in Keanu Neal. I guess they may not be as high on Davis after all.

15. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Keanu Neal is like a swiss army knife but he is injury prone. Neal managed to play 14 games this year but in 2018 he played 1 and in 2019 he played 2. It would probably be a low-risk, high-reward type of deal for him.

16. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

it's way to soon. we should be grading the 2018 draft

chandler likes this.
  17. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Besides Edoga and Herndon, the whole class is a big fat F

apjbfc likes this.
  18. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I have a hard time grading this class at all right now. The only things I'm reasonably comfortable saying is that Becton and Hall were hits and Perine was a miss. Hall played well and was a 5th rounder, makes a little easier to consider him a hit because 5th rounders are such crap shoots.

Mims and Davis have potential. Potential is nothing until its realized, so these aren't hits, but they aren't misses yet,.

Mann is fine. Not nearly good enough for all the pro bowl love he got, but I wont call him a miss.

If Zuniga/Clark don't show anything next year I'll move them to misses. Maybe the coaching change benefits Zuniga.

Huff and Guidry both showed something last year. That alone makes me want to UDFA a win.

Noam and Jets79 like this.
  19. Mogriffjr

plus our new DC is familiar with him.

20. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

This thread can't be taken seriously with all this Braden Mann slander. He is a LEGEND in the making!

BrowningNagle likes this.