Miami Herald State Watson Picks Jets as #1 Destination

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by york61, Jan 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

I can see Dan Synder being the one person to overpay and send 5 first round picks for Watson

2. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

i get the comment from Watson's perspective. but the issue is Houston has to account for those options. If the demands are too greedy we (or Miami or others) might roll with one of those other options and a year from now Houston will be even more miserable as Watson's cap % and frustration with team escalate. And we'll be in a better position as a team and won't likely be offering a #2 so Houston is far from being in the driver seat here.

the key to negotiating is to focus on the other guy's weaknesses and needs not your own (at least according to one school of thought)

J-Raw24 likes this.
  3. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

question to the historians: when was the last time something like this worked well for the buyer?

i can think of multiple picks to move up in the hope of franchise stud QB but at least the guy was on a rookie deal, and then there's open debate on whether it worked for more than a fleeting moment

4. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I don't think this opportunity has ever presented itself before. So you really can't say it's worked or it hasn't worked.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

FJF and J-Raw24 like this.
  5. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

This type of trade of a young Top 5 QB has never occurred before

Jonathan_Vilma and bicketybam like this.
  6. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

It has never happened

7. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

If the Texans were negotiating with Denver or Indianapolis it would be a valid point but New York and Miami have better options than Stafford or Rodgers and the Texans know it, so it just won’t come up in the negotiations.

8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

So you admit it's never worked well for the buyer!

9. chad2coles

chad2coles Well-Known Member

If Watson keeps up his production, where would he rank among QBs that never won a super bowl if it didn’t work out? Best or 2nd best?

10. HomeoftheJets

Depends on whether it doesn't work out only in terms of not winning a Super Bowl or in terms of not working out period. Still, I can't think of anyone other than Marino who would be comparable.

11. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Dan Fouts, Jim Kelly, Warren Moon, and Fran Tarkenton all had excellent careers and never won Super Bowls, and Philip Rivers and Matt Ryan (so far) had very good ones.

Jets79 likes this.
  12. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Watson has played for what is basically a dome/warm weather team his whole NFL career. Not saying it would be a huge difference but going to a Northeastern team and things are much different in December/Jan. There are a few intangibles about this trade that could cause Watson's play to drop off.

13. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

people just want names

we are dealing with insanity
    Can’t argue with it

I blame the Johnsons for this decade of futility melting people’s brains

Br4d, Jedi mind tricks and ouchy like this.
  14. HomeoftheJets

If Watson keeps up this level of production, he'll be better than Rivers and Ryan. Regarding the other guys, I'm too young for these debates. ;)

15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

This is exactly what many here are not grasping. We have a bunch of holes in the offense AND the defense that need fixing. We need every pick to beef up this team. Further, I do believe JD will stick to his guns and trade down a bit if he can, and draft talent strictly based on value. Be it WR, QB, CB or OL. Sam might not be the answer, but the system Gase implemented was by far the most counter productive for his style. He needs simple quick reads and release, or scramble.I don’t believe he is dead like some here think, yet they also believe we can trade him for a second. So other teams see what we don’t?
    I wouldn’t hold high hopes for Watson or Stafford.

16. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

I agree, brother. You'd be crazy to not want Watson at all but I don't agree with the "Watson or bust" attitude fans/media have taken.
    Completely sell the future for one great player and we're still not a contender. We have A TON of options this off-season at QB

chandler, Br4d and Jets79 like this.
  17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

And let us not forget Dan Marino

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Use the remainder of the draft capital and cap space to add better players and hope that not only those players develop but the coaching staff makes good use of the players who seem to have gotten god awful coaching this past year.

There's a bit of dramatization over our inability to build a good roster with a war chest that will essentially be short one first round pick over a two or three year period.

FJF likes this.
  19. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

You cant blame us for not trusting picks beyond the 2nd round. Its such a crap shoot and we been on a bust streak.

20. chad2coles

chad2coles Well-Known Member

i think you would agree that 1, Watson’s first 50 games or so put him on a higher trajectory than at least some on your list, and that 2, the ones you could argue had a better career than what you expect Watson to have represent the rare exception to the rule.

#380 chad2coles, Jan 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.