Miami Herald State Watson Picks Jets as #1 Destination

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by york61, Jan 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Give Morgan more time to what? Develop into a solid backup?

What happens when Darnold doesn't improve and we've passed on 5 QB prospects this draft and next year's class looks mediocre at best?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

PJ4Ever, HomeoftheJets and REVISion like this.
  2. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

C'mon man ! Your a J-E-T-S fan. You know all too well exactly what happens when that happens......... :p

3. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

It benefits the Texans 0% to pull the trigger on anything before the final moment. The longer they wait means the more potential offers might come.

PJ4Ever, J-Raw24 and Jets79 like this.
  4. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

I think this is coming to a head sooner. It only feels like it'll take until March because Watson has been mute. If he really wants out, the second he opens his mouth about it and officially puts it on record, the timeline accelerates like Marty in the Delorean.

If he stays quiet and away from public proclamations, then yeah, it may take until March. I just don't see how everyone stays quiet until then - they're going to be hiring a coach in the next 2 weeks, and nobody will be able to hide at that point. If things are as bad as has been reported, then this won't simply simmer on the back burner until the new league year.

Also, there's zero chance the Texans agree to and acknowledge a deal that's reported by all major news outlets before the new league year, and then go back on it when they can formalize the paperwork. It's one thing to f*ck over an employee behind the scenes, but another entirely to go back on an historically significant transaction between two billion dollar companies.

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

More player chatter

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  6. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

7. NYJFOREVER

Brandon Marshall...

8. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Totally random but also noticed Quinnen either stopped following or doesn’t follow Darnold on IG

9. Snatch Catch

10. Snatch Catch

A little bit on just how f*cked up the Texans are - even as seen by their own fanbase and reporters.

And can you imagine a guy who started as a chaplain (and is not actually ordained by any church, I think), snaked his way into a upper management role, and seeks to evaluate and connect with his employees like THIS? Listen to this sh*t, man. This guy thinks he's the smartest guy in the room, and everyone below him are conniving cheats trying to put one over.

BrowningNagle and HomeoftheJets like this.
  11. Snatch Catch

It really does feel like too much smoke and no indication of fire at this point, right before you realize someone is playing a prank on you.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Even the sports management textbook is like "Dude, no."

Snatch Catch likes this.
  13. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

This is a really good article. Now, of course JD is not going to do that, but it is a negotiation, and this kind of shows counter offer. 3 first round picks, even including #2 overall, is a no brainer deal for the Jets, and Texans know that too. As many said, #2 overall + Adams. Now the counter is 4 first rounders, including #2, Q, and 2 second rounder. The truth is somewhere in the middle. But I am beginning to believe the price will be somewhere around 4 first rounders. We definitely take out Q, that's outrageous.

IF Deshawn even requests the trade and Texans agree, and they are looking at the Jets as primary partner due to #2 pick, I think the lowest offer that can get it done is 2 first 2021, Jets first next year, plus maybe another pick, like second rounder next year. And I am not sure it will be enough, could easily be 4 1sts. And the reason is this. If you can pick ANY QB now to trade for in entire NFL who would it be? Mahomes is #1. Watson is most likely #2. Other great QBs, like Russell Wilson, Rogers, etc, are much older. If it does happen, which I still think there is no more than 15% chance of that happening, Texans will want a lot, and this article was a good glimpse at what the counter argument will look like.

14. NYJFOREVER

No pranks here.

Maybe he won’t be a Jet, but it is looking more and more likely by the day that he won’t be a Texan next year.

15. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Four first rounders? No way in hell. Draft 4 rookies and every year a disgruntled vet will leave. Go get Russell Wilson the. Or whoever will be next lol

PJ4Ever likes this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The Texans have every incentive to play the waiting game rather than moving sooner rather than later. When push comes to shove, he's still under contract and they can fine him relentlessly if he opts not to play. They can also do everything in their power to convince him to stay with the organization.

I don't think it's a foregone conclusion yet that he'll be on the move.

Borat likes this.
  17. Snatch Catch

I don't think it's foregone either, but to me, if he says he's out clearly and publicly, then they're trading him whether they realize it right now or not.

An athlete in today's world can create so much tumult, to the point where a team can't keep him anymore - even if they want to.

18. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

What's extremely telling to me is there have been rumors flying like crazy and Watson has said absolutely nothing or done absolutely nothing to quiet things down. Aaron Rodgers alluded to something Sunday, today he's already squashed it. Even dumb shit Jamal Adams came out and quieted people down before he actually got traded. Obviously the relationship is fractured but it doesn't even seem like Watson is making an attempt to dispell the notion that it's broken beyond repair.

19. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

When you're trying to figure out what is fact or fiction, the biggest thing I'll point to are the seemingly endless Jets references coming directly from Watson's camp. I've wracked my brain and there is absolutely no reason for them to be doing that unless he actually wants to come here. Whatever team he goes to, he wants them to retain as man assets as possible and so essentially he's taking a calculated risk in an attempt to discourage other teams to enter a bidding war with the team most likely to get him out of Houston.

Do I think he dreams green and white and sleeps in a Namath jersey? No I actually don't. I think he is however absolutely desperate to get out of Houston, and he looks at the Jets as the most likely candidate to make it happen that also coincides with his list of preferred landing spots. So what he is doing is taking a gamble and saying "hey Joe, hey Robert, come get me! I'll do my part to keep the price down."

If he forced a trade but kept silent about his preference, more teams might enter the fray and whichever team lands him would have to give up a lot. If he is proactive, he can probably throw a little water on the fire before it takes off.

I believe he cares more about getting out of Houston than going to the Jets, but he is smart enough to know he can play a role in preemptively improving the assets of his eventual landing spot. It also seems like it's working.

20. NYJFOREVER

You say “Go get the next Russell Wilson” likes it’s easy.

If you get Watson, you won’t have any disgruntled vets because you’ll be winning.

K'OB likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.