Wild Trade scenerio hear me out

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Wah

Wah Well-Known Member

The biggest problem I have with this scenario is that if JD has identified a QB prospect that he believes will be the future of the franchise, why would he take the risk of losing him before pick #7 when he can just pick him at #2. You make it sound they should just take any QB at 7 for the sake of taking him at 7. If your guy... not just any guy, but your future FQB is there at 2, don't mess around. No one is going to draft a QB that high and just plan to sit him on the bench for 3 years unless they made a mistake and he sucks.

If the plan is to not take a QB, waste another 2-3 years with a QB on the backside of his career during a rebuild, and be bad enough to not make the playoffs, but good enough to miss out on all the good QBs in the draft then that would be pretty typical of the Jets.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I would rather take a shot with Matt Ryan and pick # 4 but Stafford makes more sense than selling the farm for Watson.

3. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

No. Mathew Stafford has a 74-90 career record with only 4 winning seasons out of 12. He is a QB that doesn't carry a team, he is one that depends on having good players around him to succeed, and even then his lack of success in Detroit probably won't add up to success here in NY. If the Jets want to go that route, stick with Sam. He's young and if he gets good players around him, he will succeed and may even become a very good QB. If the Jets want a QB that can carry a team then take a chance and draft one with the #2 pick or trade for Watson. For me, I would stick with Sam, keep the picks and draft some serious playmakers for him.

4. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Ryan has a huge rollover for the Falcons. Him a Julio are there for at least one more season

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He's one of the rare cases that I believe his talent and output simply doesn't matchup with the W-L record. His supporting cast has been absolutely horrendous outside of his time with Calvin Johnson. He's had one thousand yard rusher in his career. And he's spent the past three years on a team where Patricia decided to spend $80 million+ on Patriot retread defenders.

They were on the upswing before Patricia got there and ready to make a divisional run before he derailed them.

Red Menace likes this.
  6. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I do like Stafford as well, watching the Lions this year I had a lot higher expectations. The offense was neither creative nor aggressive, and I was shocked at how rarely they focused on their offensive mismatches. That being said, I don’t think he is the right fit for the Jets right now.

7. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

That would be one of the worst trades in NFL history.The num 2 overall for Matt Stafford?Are you insane?I would give them a 2nd or 3rd rounder and a 6th

8. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I think he will go to a team either on the cusp of the playoffs or a playoff team..

9. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Well it’s not CRAZY but I still think the #2 overall is too much...he’s getting older, he has injury history, and he just has never really won much. Even getting back Stanford AND the 7th overall seems like it’s not enough honestly.

But I’d rather roll with a rookie QB or Watson on a reasonable deal than a 33 year old QB with a bit too much injury history and wear and tear

10. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Probably yes

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Parcells would have done it in a heartbeat in 1997 but the Jets had a much better roster back then and he had like 10 of his guys lined up to come in and flesh out the roster too.

The reality of the 2021 Jets is that we have a bottom 3 roster right now. We have maybe a half dozen guys that would start for the average team and maybe three that would start for a contender. The answer for this year at QB is a competition between Darnold and a draftee with Morgan floating around in the background. All the vets that are available would suddenly be playing with less talent than they imagined possible based on their past experiences and that includes Stafford's days with the Lions.

Positions the Jets apparently have covered at this point: LT, maybe 1 OG, maybe C, Slot WR, maybe 1 outside WR, maybe 1 RB, 2 DT's, maybe an ILB, FS, maybe a CB. That leaves basically 50% of the starting spots that need an upgrade. You don't get that done in even a deep draft and free agency and if you rely heavily on free agency, well the team you build is on a ticking clock and two seasons is where the ticking gets really loud. The Jets are either missing or highly doubtful at QB, CB, WR, TE, Edge and both 4-3 DE's assuming the RDE is not the Edge - if he is then the Jets need a good ROLB to go alongside him. The Jets have no strongside LB to set the edge there either - Tarell Bashem is a big 3-4 LB and he will have trouble with the coverage responsibilities in a 4-3.

One of the things that we're all kind of glossing over in the transition to Saleh's defense is that the Jets front 7 was built for a 3-4, not a 4-3. There are going to be issues moving over to the new front.

#31 Br4d, Jan 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    ConcordeChops likes this.
  12. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I think that’s a good summary of the roster. I’m not sure who your “maybe” picks are at OG and RB. Perine?

13. Br4d

I think one of the guards will be useful next year. Lewis has played well for stretches and Van Roten is a better player than he showed last year. Between the two of them I think one will play next year.

Perine is probably at least a good rotational back. I wouldn't be surprised if he settled in as the 3rd down back in the WCO. He might be more than that, we'll see. I expect the Jets to either draft another RB 4th round or earlier or pick up a cheap viable rotational back in free agency.

14. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

You wouldn't give Johnson or Adams a shot at it, despite them showing something when given a chance at the end of the season? Both looked better than Perine tbh

Jets79 likes this.
  15. Br4d

With RB's everybody is in the mix. Perine was in Gases's doghouse for some reason and I expect him to get another hard look from the new coaching staff.

16. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

He wasn't Methuselah

17. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

If the plan is to build up the team, I'd bring in CJ Beathard who LaFleur is familiar with. Then seek a trade down from 2 to 5 or a little lower and get Smith or Chase. After that, grab an IOL, CB/Edge, RB, K, maybe a TE, and possibly a 2nd WR. Not in that order, but it would fill many holes and lay a foundation for a contending team.

18. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

19. Br4d

Half the moves would work out and we'd be waiting for next year to fill the other half. Then between now and then injuries and aging would open up a couple more holes.

If you build through the draft you have case one above. However the people who work out are cheap and you have them on the ascent of their career.

If you sign free agents you have case two above. Free agents are more predictable however they are much more expensive and you have them mostly on the imminent decline of their career.

Good teams build through the draft and then maybe sign a mid-range free agent to fill a big hole as one of the last pieces.

Bad teams keep buying into short windows by drafting poorly and then filling the many holes that exist with short-lived free agents.

People say the solution is to sign prime time free agents that are stars.

The last 3 guys the Jets signed that fit that bill were Trumaine Johnson, C.J. Mosley and Leveon Bell.

All in their prime and all collapsed once they arrived because that's what most prime time free agents do after they get all that guaranteed money in the bank.

20. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I like it makes alot of sense. It takes the pressure off the new coach having to deal with a beaten down QB in Darnold. We lose the 2nd but still in the top ten. Stafford could help Saleh get his program up alot faster and we get to train the next QB but we are taking that dude in the 2nd round not at 7.