League memo on player contact pre-draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by abyzmul, Jan 23, 2021.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Some no-brainers in there, but it's just like the Jets to have a ton of draft picks during the most restrictive draft process in history.

Rockinz and ouchy like this.
  2. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

Last year was probably just as bad, or worse, and they did well, so we shouldn't be too worried.

Or at least not as much as it would have made us feel under previous regimes.

3. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

This is way worse. Limited workouts. No combine. Only allowing medical exams at teams pro day.

They are not letting teams kick the tires. They are mostly letting them peer through the display window.

Its only for a couple of weeks until we flatten the curve...

FJF likes this.
  4. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

Oh, right, I forgot that they actually had the combine last year.

Regardless, they've got tape on everyone and seeing how well I think Douglas did this past draft, I'm not overly concerned.

Especially when the draft is a zero sum game - if there's an increased chance that someone screws up by reaching for an unqualified player, there's opportunity for someone who is able to make good decisions without the combine.

5. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Ya that’s probably why Seattle gave that much up for Adams

6. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I’m even more thankful that Joe already has his prospects graded, going to alter what they will focus on during pro day a bit but it’s not impossible to add finishing grades.

#6 Red Menace, Jan 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

On the plus side. No getting fooled by a combine warrior this year.

K'OB, REVISion and Br4d like this.
  8. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

I still feel it's dumb. They could have easily had a "bubble" combine.

9. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

What I don't understand is the combine was scheduled for the middle of March. The virus is waning and vaccinations are increasing every day. Plus there is no season to disrupt or team to infect if someone came up positive. It would have been safer then going to Wal Mart.

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

For good organizations the Combine is about ranking and yanking, taking players off their draft boards if they see something they don't like.

For bad organizations it's a substitute for having a good player evaluation system and those are the organizations who elevate players based on a few days in skivvies and draft busts as a result.

REVISion likes this.
  11. Br4d

There are variants of the virus out there right now that are considerably scarier than anything we faced in 2020. We have no idea if March and April are going be relatively secure or a total hell house with more people getting sick and dying than we could have imagined last year.

It's prudent given those circumstances to do as much remotely as we can. Bringing several hundred prospects in from around the country alongside their representation, club owners and staff, national and local media, etc is a textbook super spreader event.

12. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

So their safer at the store then a controlled NFL combine? Our state is reopening our schools next week. People are traveling all over the country every day.

FJF likes this.
  13. Br4d

The NFL Combine is a unique event that brings large numbers of people together from all 50 states and American Samoa every year. Yes, it is much safer at your local store assuming you and the other people in the store are wearing masks and observing proper social distancing and that the store is sanitizing on a regular basis, particularly in big box stores where people touch a lot of the stuff they are thinking of buying.

If you're living in a locality that does not have all of that going on, well you might as well be hosting the Combine.

BTW, if one of the nastier variants of covid, like the one the UK is worrying about now, get loose in some of the red states we're going to see real carnage. American Carnage.

K'OB likes this.
  14. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I usually agree with you but I don't see the logic this time. The combine is a managed event where each step can be controlled - Wal Mart is open to anyone to wander anywhere and touch anything with no controls. For that matter the championship games have less controls. Airports bring even more people from around the world together in one place, and they do it every day across the country.

FJF likes this.
  15. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

If you're referring to the sensationalist 30% more fatal headlines then I wouldn't pay too much attention to it. It is just pick the biggest possible number to make a splash. In fact the average male, aged 60, is 0.3% more likely to die with this variant according to the recently announced early analysis and even that is debatable. The UK variant is undoubtedly more transmissible though.

ouchy and FJF like this.
  16. Br4d

Hospitals are already overloaded. If covid becomes more transmissible the death numbers are going to go way up because the thing that is keeping them in line right now are the fact that you can get a hospital bed and oxygen when you need it.

This doesn't even take into account the fact that there will be no room for normal medical cases that would likely progress to fatality without intervention.

17. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Absolutely. The increased transmission is more of an issue. Cases are falling here now though, but in some areas it has gotten fairly close to hospitals getting overloaded.

18. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

But can they still view videos of D linemen jumping out of pools to get excited about. I know Jarron Gilbert's video a few years back had some here thinking he was a 1st round pick.

ouchy and FJF like this.
  19. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Two wrongs don't make a right.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The NBA beat their chest for months as to how successful their end of season/playoff bubble was in netting no new positives. They flew in from all over the country too.

If every player at the combine is meticulously tested as they arrive every day, I don't really see why this would be a big issue.

I think this might be a bigger liability issue for the NFL if there was an outbreak because these are not NFL employees and there's no contract to protect them if someone were to unfortunately get very sick.

It'd also create a big lawsuit that the NFL may have put them in harm's way of making all that money.