Darnold, Fields, Wilson, Jones, Trask, Lance

Discussion in 'Draft' started by NOVAJET, Dec 28, 2020.

?

Fields, Wilson or Darnold

1. Fields

22.0%
  2. Wilson

26.3%
  3. Darnold

31.7%
  4. Other - Explain

10.8%
  5. Watson: 3 1st's

9.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Added Watson to the poll for 3 1's

Brook! likes this.
  2. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

This group of QB prospects is probably the hardest group to predict after analyzing them. Besides Lawrence who I believe is the best prospect I’ve ever seen, all the others are the definition boom or bust prospects.

Ive done the most homework so far on Fields and he for me can look so awesome in some big games like vs Michigan and Clemson but look so bad against solid defensive squads like Indiana and North Western. When looking at him last year he pretty much was flawless and truly showed super star potential. One trait I have not given him much credit for is his toughness. This kid plays through pain and wants to lead his team. I love that about him. I just wish he could anticipate throws under pressure in the pocket better and not take off and run if his first read is covered. He needs work on reading zone coverage and working through progressions. Ceiling Russel Wilson, Floor Geno Smith.

I’m an Alabama fan so naturally I saw Mac Jones play a lot this year and he was impressive in every game.. there wasn’t a game where I thought he looked bad. The negative is that is he is a total statue in the pocket and lacks athleticism. Bottom line he’s a winner and I think he could be a steal in the draft in the right system. Ceiling Philip Rivers, floor AJ McCarron.

Wilson has the livest arm in the class it’s a beautiful thing to be honest. I just am not sold on his ability to translate day 1 at the nfl level. It’s just such a huge jump as BYU played nobody and he played with nobody who is on a nfl level. That concerns me if he’s drafted in the top 2 and asked to start right away. If he gets taken by a team like Atlanta and can sit and learn behind Matt Ryan and adjust in practice to nfl speed he could be a good one. If he is thrown to the wolves day 1 he’s could bust harder and faster than Darnold. Ceiling Kirk Cousins, Floor Sam Darnold.

Lance is a really hard one because he had one weird game this year and was lights out last year. The ultimate boom or bust pick in this draft. He showed a lot of good qualities just not enough body of work for me to say he’s going to be awesome or a bust. He flashes talent with a big arm and ground game. However, playing in division 2 it’s the same issue as Wilson when it comes to level of competition. Ceiling Deshawn Watson, floor RG3.

Trask I’ve been surprised on how accurate he is with the football. He doesn’t make to many mistakes and takes care of the football. I find he does start to get the hero ball juices flowing a little too much in games. He had a unbelievable connection with Kyle Pitts and it helped him grow as a player. Ceiling Derrick Carr, floor Blain Gabbert.

Brook! and ColoradoContrails like this.
  3. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I think that's been apparent with his play since being with the Jets too. He can catch fire in a quarter or half then go completely cold and from week to week. He'll string together a few good games but there's no consistency. He's not, in any way, a game manager. That's trying to take all then good bits of his game away and making him concentrate on the stuff he doesn't do well.

Footballgod214 and K'OB like this.
  4. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

But isn't Lawrence the best prospect ever, at least in PFF era, and where are Mahomes and Watson?

abyzmul likes this.
  5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

We'll just take Jones with the 23rd then ;)

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  6. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Changed my vote to Watson, but will be happy with Wilson or Fields....Darnold goes

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  7. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Did you watch Fields this year? Played awful in 50% of his games with a superior OL and Skill around him. One read and panics. Upside is not there. Safe pick but nothing more than what Sam will give us.

8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Takng a QB at #2 will never be considered a safe pick. Taking the top overall rated player regardless of position is.

b.reyes16 likes this.
  9. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I think maybe the intrigue with Sam is he CAN make amazing throws that makes you go WOW.

But then there's entire games where he can't get out of his own way and throws some real head scratchers.

When future HCs, OCs, etc, see the Good Sam, they think "Holy Shit. If I can find a way to bottle that and make Sam play that way 95% of the time, I could have the best QB in football".

But then they see the Bad Sam and they think "Holy Shit..he's worse than Tim Tebow. I wonder if I can coach that out of him???"

10. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Anyone else warming up to Trask in the second round or later? Watching his throws, he's very accurate across the field at middle depths. Ball placement seems to be excellent -- his receivers aren't getting blown up, and typically get YAC. Certainly, he's not Lawrence and doesn't have the natural arm strength of Wilson/Fields. Still, he's 6'5" and plays pretty smartly. Could be a good fit for the Shannahan scheme.

foxtrot and Brook! like this.
  11. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I voted for Fields but this is how I feel as well, it’s time to move on from Sam.

Watson
    Fields
    Wilson
    Darnold

Brook! and The Dark Knight like this.
  12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

You need to understand what these rankings mean. It is basically advanced version of statistics where things like dropped passes, % of poor throws, throws under pressure, from clean pocket, etc, are factored in. That doesn't mean that say 6'0" Baker is better prospect than Trevor Lawrence, just because he had better 5th College season of advanced stats. It's just another good metrics for us to look at a player, which is superior to regular stats. It does not measure upside. And Trevor Lawrence is the only guy in the history of pff who had 90+ for 3 years, so he definitely checks that box too.

#1512 Borat, Jan 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    REVISion likes this.
  13. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

This type of misinformed evaluation would pretty much disqualify every good prospect. You throwing around absolute falsehoods, and then come to uneducated conclusion. And did YOU actually watch Fields play this year? I posted entire footage of this year earlier. It's about an hour. Watch with open mind before you declare that half (!!!) of it was awful or that upside is not there.

14. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

At this point I think Trask will be a first rounder so teams can get that 5th year option. So if you want to draft him it’s the 23rd pick

15. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

lol

REVISion likes this.
  16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I thought this thread was more about the realistic options we have available, like it says in the subject line. I mean I also would like Watson, but voted here to pick an option between these in the subject line. Watson dream has his own dedicated thread (now had to be split up in two!), which will be 300+ pages soon.

#1516 Borat, Jan 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Interesting! That would mean that we're looking at a lot of QBs going in the first round this year. Figure Lawrence, then some order of Fields, Wilson, Lance, Jones and Trask will all go. Seems like a lot of teams resetting or stocking for the future. Wonder if there'll be any value in selecting from the next tier of QBs, e.g., Newman, Mondi, Ehlinger, etc.? If there's not a solid value proposition in the draft, or in a trade, like the rumored NO offer, then it's easy to see Douglas going with another year of Darnold.

18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If this was actually possible, it would be a no-brainer.

19. ColoradoContrails

Given all the holes that need filling, and that Douglas took a QB in the 4th round last year as a "development project", I doubt he uses a pick on another "project" this year. If he takes a QB I expect it'll be the one he thinks can be a FQB which will require a top 10 pick probably.

chandler likes this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

I don't think the argument is whether Fields or Wilson (or Lance, Jones, Trask) can be better than Darnold, it's whether Douglas can trade back and use additional prime picks to fill more holes and get by with Darnold.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.