Miami Herald State Watson Picks Jets as #1 Destination

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by york61, Jan 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. york61

york61 Well-Known Member

It seems th Jets are already reaping some benefits from the Saleh hire. Watson wanted Houston to interview Saleh who they passed on. In any event I think this might actually force Douglas to seriously consider putting a package together for Watson. I would guess it is going to take our #1 for this year and next year along with this years 2nd other draft picks and even a package of Quinnin Williams or May. That is alot to give up for a team with so many holes and force the Jets to a win now strategy. Typically those types of "win now" strategies don't work. However I can understand if the Jets empty the bank for the trade. I myself hope they don't make the trade if it causes us to empty the tank. Douglas has a plan which I believe in and although it will not get us to the super bowl next year I believe a forklift upgrade which they have already committed to is the proper strategy.

2. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Yesterday's hot rumor was Darnold to the Saints for the 28th pick, #2, #28 and our 1st pick next year is 3-1's, leaves us a 1st round pick the next 3 years....problem is are the Saints desperate/stupid enough to do it

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  3. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Taysom Hill
    Jameis Winston
    Trevor Siemian

4. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Don’t get it? Saints need to dump salary and need picks for players...

I could see Sam Darnold + 3rd for Cam Jordan + Andres Peat straight up they would save around 18 mil I think.

amuck57 likes this.
  5. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Winston is better than Darnold but he may leave, Taysom Hill is a laughing stock, Peyton's cruel joke

alleycat9 and K'OB like this.
  6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

There are maybe 5 people I’d listen to at this point whether it’s good or bad news. Gonna be tough but I’m gonna try like hell to just tune it all out because this sounds like it’s gonna be an annoying process.

7. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

If JD is going to follow Ozzie Newsome’s philosophy and strategy on building the team and drafting then I find it hard to believe that JD will pull the deal for Watson if it includes 3 #1 picks.

fansince90, amuck57, stinkyB and 11 others like this.
  8. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

I totally get Watson wanting a move as the Texans are a hot mess with a bad culture and he wants to see that change (which Jets fan doesn't get that!?) but did he list of candidates include any names with a low melanin count such as Daboll, Eberflus or Smith or was it purely a 'Rooney' list?

If say Josh Allen had another stellar year to cement him in the top 5 young QB's class but then asked for a trade because they dismissed a list of WASP coaches and made a minority hire then I'd be full-on "No ficking way!".

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If the Jets trade 3 #1's for Watson we're in for a few years of misery before they finally cut ties.

amuck57, Longsuffering88 and ouchy like this.
  10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Maye is a free agent, won’t be in a trade package. QW is not going to be traded. Saleh loves him.

11. BroadwayAaron

He can still build through the draft if he trades three firsts for Watson.

Jets81, NYJFOREVER, FJF and 2 others like this.
  12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's an insane situation. Why would we bid against ourselves to acquire that contract when the Texans are the team that is in trouble right now?

I just can't believe that anybody would be crazy enough to acquire Watson like he wasn't a severely distressed asset, because he is.

My opening offer to the Texans would be the #2 straight up and I would go down from there not up.

What are their alternatives?

All the media saying it is a no-brainer were saying the same thing about bringing back Revis and signing Leveon Bell. None of them have the Jets interests at heart they just want something interesting to write about.

amuck57, westiedog1, chandler and 7 others like this.
  13. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Sure he can. Plus he s got several FA pickups he can choose. He ll still have #2, couple of number #3s, either a number #1 pick either this year or next year. As we know Jets have many holes to fill. And in the draft he has to almost bat 1.000 to get a solid/great draft. Jets need few impact players, but I am not saying I am against the the move at ll but just saying I don’t think that is JD s nature to pull that type of deal.

14. BroadwayAaron

I would agree but I also don’t think a GM has ever been presented with an opportunity to trade for a top 3 QB just entering his prime. You’d like the think you adjust your playbook when an opportunity like this comes along.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. Wah

Wah Well-Known Member

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that this thread sounds like a repeat of the old one when the last one was 100 pages of the same shit over and over again.

16. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

do I think Watson will help the Jets offense? Absolutely. Does he fit in LeFleur’s playbook? No clue and we ll just have to wait to see if they think Watson is the QB that they must have. One thing a fact, JD has a lot of weapons and options on the table including a solid cap space. It will be interesting what he does.

17. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Do you not get bored typing the same thing about he Watson deal over and over again?

I certainly understand that you think it is a bad deal contract wise and tbh I understood it when you first posted it a few days ago, you don't have to hammer it home every day.

The people who want Watson will ignore you and then repeat all the things that they have already said in the other thread for 101 pages and repeat until something is announced.

:rolleyes:;)

18. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

It’s going to come down to who Casserio likes in the draft. If he likes Fields or Wilson the same then he will probably make the deal with Miami for #3 + #18 + 2022 first. If he favours Fields heavily over Wilson or vice versa then he makes a deal with the Jets for #2 + #23 + 1st 2022 (sea). It will all come down to who he favours drastically or if he values them pretty closely.

jetsflip2101 likes this.
  19. jetstopgun

jetstopgun Well-Known Member

Agree at best our #2 pick and our second round pick ... make Houston come calling us ... don’t reach out to them... there the ones in trouble with Watson... i look back at why there Relationship is so bad ....in 2018 the deceased owner Robert McNair said you don’t let the inmates run the prison... I’m sure that didn’t go over well with the players.. then they Promise Watson some input on HC and GM.. he wanted KC’s OC interview as well as our guy RS ..he’s piss off and don’t blame him I believe he will Force his way out of Houston...and will end up here or Miami

20. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Interesting development

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.