Wild Trade scenerio hear me out

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Jan 23, 2021.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Lions are moving on from stafford. they are looking to trade him for a 1st round pick then bundle their 7th pick and that one to move up for a QB

Jets could offer the number 2 overall for stafford and the lions 7th overall. it's win win for both teams and i'll explain why

Start with the lions. they move stafford. #2 overall allows them their choice of QB not named lawerence who is going 1st and nothing will change that. if they were gonna bundle 7 plus whatever pick they get it's the same outcome they wanted out of a trade without having to make 2 trades

For the jets it makes a ton of sense. stafford is a veteran Qb who has been top 10 for over a decade. he'll be 33 for the season with at least 4 years left in him. hes under contract for 2 seasons pretty cheap 20mil and 23 mil. we also only move back 5 spaces and retain all out picks and address the QB. it also allows us to move sam for another pick.

in other words we upgrade the QB, don't burn too much cap, gain a high draft pick (likely 2nd for sam) just to slide back 5 spots in the draft. even at 7 we could take a QB if we wanted for the future. josh allen was drafted 7th, mahomes 10th, watson 12th. the Qbs we pick from there could be the next guy. and they can sit and learn for 2 seasons from a great QB and we'll have plenty of room to build a solid team

this is what the packers did with rodgers. drafted him in the 20s (we have the 23rd pick as well) to sit for a few years behind favre. now they drafted jordan love to sit a few years behind rodgers in the 20s as well.

boozer32 likes this.
  2. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Well-Known Member

I don't think this is totally crazy, but If you're trading a 1st for a 33 year old QB then you're trying to win a SB in the immediate future. You're not trading for that guy and then taking a QB with a top 10 pick.

In this situation it makes way more sense to use #7 on a guy you think can help make you better right away. For us that's probably a WR, edge rusher, or IOL.

Either way, it just doesn't really make sense for a 2 win team to trade for a guy his age.

IIMeanDeanII and KY Jets Fan like this.
  3. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

4. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I like it to be honest. I’ve always liked Stafford as a QB. He’s not too old either but my concern is that he’s always hurt. The guy is made of glass... Broken back bones, broken fingers on his throwing hand and I think a few more... it’s just as big a gamble as picking a QB at #2 because of his injury history.

5. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

Dealing at the top of round 1 for Stafford is probably a touch too expensive when you factor in his age and injury (though not availability) record.

I could see giving up the Seattle pick if JD doesn't like the current rookie QB's and he views Stafford as the guy although I think the second rounder is more likely. Unless you scenario included some additional ballast such as another Lions player who could fill out a slot that is in need but not pressing then I'd pass.

6. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

He meant swap picks with them plus Stafford so we give them #2 and we get #7 + Stafford

Red Menace likes this.
  7. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Mehh. I'd rather keep the #2 than do this. Stafford's still top 12-15 but declining slightly.

8. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

43m for two years? and tossing them the #2 No thanks.

The first two years of Watson will cost us 45m and Stafford just isn't as good as Watson. if you don't want Watson that is fine but I am not splashing out 43m on Stafford tbh and I'd just draft one and get on with the rebuild, snap up Bleathard if you want an experienced head for a season, at least he will know Saleh.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I mean it's not the craziest scenario. I like Stafford. But he's going to have control over his situation (I believe) due to the respect the franchise has for him and I'm sure he had a no trade although I haven't checked.

I doubt he wants to go to a rebuild even if there are resources available. He'd still be a draw for free agents. If we did become players for him I'd rather give them 23 and draft Fields and try to create a QB pipeline.

It really doesn't make sense for us though. It's a band aid to sell tickets.

10. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

The difference between the 2nd pick and the 7th pick in trade value is equal to the 14th pick in the draft. Is Stafford really worth the 14th pick in the draft? If you like Stafford and think he is healthy I could see the argument for using the Jets 23rd pick or a second rounder but giving up the equivalent of the 14th pick in the draft seems steep.

#10 Noam, Jan 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  11. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Doesn't make sense for the Jets, but it's not a bad idea for Miami (or the Rams) that are a QB away.

12. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

why?

That is all.

13. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

Stafford isn't coming here. He'll want to go to a place he can win now given his age as well.

Rockinz likes this.
  14. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

It’s not totally insane but there is a major flaw.

There will be 3 QB’s gone by pick 4, and Denver and Carolina are sitting right at 8 and 9. One of them will be willing to trade up to get their guy, maybe even to 3 with Miami. The Jets have to come away with a young answer at QB this off-season.

15. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Detroit would have to throw in their 2nd this year and their 2nd next year to make it worth it to me.

16. Cromartie's_kid

Cromartie's_kid Well-Known Member

mid be cool with first this year and next and a second and later pick. Take a wr or ol and go from there.

17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If the Jets were closer to contending, maybe. But if they take on Stafford it will screw up their timing on having a good, young QB that grows with the rest of the team. It's not impossible to do, but it's a lot of money to invest on a plan with so much uncertainty. Beyond that though is why would anyone want to spend as much as you would pay out for Watson to get an older, injury-prone alternative?

boozer32 likes this.
  18. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

We traded three second round picks to move from 6 to 3. Is Stafford worth that or more? He don’t think so at this stage in his career. Not every QB is going to be Brees, Brady, Big Ben, and Rivers. Stafford came into the NFL very young and has taken a beating. I could see him retiring in the next few years.

LAJet likes this.
  19. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

The trade itself is pretty ok value I from the Jets perspective. The issue is that they’d miss out on drafting a QB at 7 so the scenario doesn’t work.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I can certainly see Stafford looking to restructure his contract and take less money after his deal runs out or even before it does. He's made a TON of money as he signed a $72 million deal out of college since he was drafted before the rookie cap.

He'd be deadly in San Francisco or Indianapolis which is where I imagine he ends up.