Lions hire Saints asst HC Dan Campbell

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Wut?, Jan 17, 2021.

1. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of Campbell at all; I don't think that mindset of "biting people's kneecaps off" meshes well with the modern day NFL player.

Hope he works out though, the Lions have suffered for a long time like us Jets fans.

2. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

This guy is amazing. We should trade Saleh and the #2 pick to get him.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  3. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

This doesn't wash for me since Reid's last two OC's (Pederson and Matt Nagy) got HC jobs without being tagged with being a figurehead OC.

4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

He gives me Jim Tomsula 2.0 vibes.

5. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I am not saying it is true or not, but just because two other offensive coordinators got a job under Reid does not mean there won't be concerns with one guy who is now the OC. The question about Bieniemy is a valid one considering the Chiefs are stacked on offense with a HOF QB. It also does not necessarily help his situation that Andy Reid has a history of coaching good offenses which leads people to think that this is more him than Bieniemy.

He deserves a shot, there is just a lot of hesitation this time around. At least that's what I'm reading.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  6. joe

joe Well-Known Member

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

There's obviously a reason he's been passed over for two+ years by half the league while other minorities have been hired. So if you're insinuating it's because he's black, I think you're going down the wrong road in trying to find a reason when Occam's Razor simply tells us that he gives off the vibe of a guy who won't be a good head coach.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Any time I've ever heard Eric Bieniemy speak, he strikes me as a dumbass. Now this has nothing to do with the color of his skin, dumbasses come in all shapes, colors and sizes. If you can be annoyed at a team for bias then I guess Detroit is probably the best case for that, because while Dan Campbell's intro presser was entertaining, he is most definitely a complete dumbass.

That aside, most teams aren't searching for the biggest dumbass available to run their team.

9. NYJFan10

It looks like a bad double standard at the very least and not just from the teams themselves but from the baseless media speculation, they're lazily pumping the whole 'well he doesn't do anything, it's Reid's offense' narrative without doing any critical thinking.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

What's the double-standard? Have you interviewed him? There's a reason the leagues passing on him while other minority coaches are getting hired including the first hire of last year and the second hire of this year by us.

The guy obviously doesn't impress in interviews.

11. NYJFan10

Maybe he doesn't 'interview well', for whatever the hell that means considering Adam Gase got not one but two NFL HC jobs. But that's the same code they used to use on Tony Dungy as well. When guys less qualified get opportunities for no overt reason it looks bad. Especially when the popular excuse (it being Reid's offense) didn't prevent other guys from getting jobs.

#31 NYJFan10, Jan 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

They don't hire guys for good optics. They hire guys that they think give them the best shot at winning football games. That doesn't mean they're always right but you're creating a scenario where they're not hiring him because he's black. If that were the case, there wouldn't be any minority hires over the past couple years which obviously isn't the case.

13. NYJFan10

No minority hires at all isn't the same thing from saying it's still a disproportionately low number. Flores and Saleh represent 50% of all current minority head coaches in the league. While the Jets are beyond reproach on this subject considering they've had three minority coaches in two decades, the Jets aren't the whole NFL. And the fact there are very few - if any - minority GM's don't help either.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

The only way to validate this argument would be to run the percentages on former players that go into coaching/scouting (obviously majority black) and compare it to data based on on current coaching/GM numbers. The 80% total of players being black is meaningless unless 80% of players attempt to go into coaching and/or scouting.

15. abyzmul

I missed this. I guess we're not biting kneecaps after all.

Did the Lions invent a new way of tanking? You hire a guy that is so far out of his depth for one year to make sure you can't win a game?

Or are they just copying what the Jets do every 2-3 years?

16. Jonathan_Vilma

Eh they're more competitive than the Jets are. They've had a chance to tie or take the lead with under a minute to go in 4 of 6 losses.

#36 Jonathan_Vilma, Oct 25, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
    abyzmul, dawinner127 and Red Menace like this.
  17. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

His team is playing hard on every play. He has them fully bought in at the moment. He’s weird, though, IMO.

abyzmul likes this.
  18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Lions are in Strangeland right now. Jacksonville likely just exited the worst team in the NFL spot and the Jets are right there to scoop it up. Gotta do something spectacular to reclaim the title if they really want it.

19. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I love this guy. All my favorite HCs are mentally-unstable-not-fit-to-be-a-HC head coaches.

abyzmul likes this.
  20. abyzmul

Kind of mine too as long as they aren't coaching the Jets.

ConcordeChops likes this.