The Deshaun Watson Situation (POLL added for the potential price)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Rockinz, Jan 16, 2021.

?

What is the MOST you would give up to get Watson?

1. Just the #2 pick

24 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. The two 1's and 3 we got from Seattle

37 vote(s)
    27.2%
  3. The #2, Seattles first in 2022, our 1st in 2023

55 vote(s)
    40.4%
  4. More - just get it done.

20 vote(s)
    14.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

I’m legit feeling this uncomfortable thing wanting to burst out of my chest. It’s similar to excitement, but also the feeling as a Jet fan when he or she wants to be excited but remembers crushing defeat.

Snatch Catch likes this.
  2. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

LOL

I was thinking the same thing!

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Come on, Johnny One-Note, let the guy have some dignity.

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It's probably an alien larva.

5. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Lol I mean no one is disputing that. We're saying if Becton's tweets are Watson related - which they appear to be - it's a bit awkward and I'm sure makes Sam a bit uneasy. He doesn't have a Twitter himself, but I'm sure he knows what's going on.

apjbfc and REVISion like this.
  6. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

The teams that have participated in the SB in the last 10 years:

NE x5
    SF x2
    SEA x2
    DEN x2
    GB x1
    PIT x1
    NYG x1
    BAL x1
    CAR x1
    ATL x1
    PHI x1
    LAR x1
    KC x1

Now let’s look at how many times these teams have been to the playoffs compared to the other teams. I’ll bold those with Super Bowl appearances.

NE 10
    BUF 3
    NYJ 1
    MIA 1
    PIT 7
    BAL 7

CIN 5
    CLE 1
    IND 6
    TEN 3
    HOU 6
    JAC 1
    KC 8
    LAC 2
    LV 1
    DEN 5
    PHI 6
    NYG 2

DAL 3
    WAS 3
    GB 8
    MIN 4
    CHI 3
    DET 3
    NO 7
    ATL 5
    CAR 4

TB 1
    SEA 9
    SF 4

LAR 3
    ARI 2

Teams who made it to the SB averaged 5.77 playoff appearances since 2010, meaning that SB participants were generally getting into the playoffs every other year. Only 1 SB participants did not get into the playoffs at least 4 times in that span, the Giants. Some might say that NE skews the average, but even if you removed them the average is still 5.42 appearances.

What this means is there is a direct relationship between regular playoff appearances and the likelihood of playing in 1 Super Bowl. This may sound obvious, but these are direct stats to make it clear. Even averaging 1 playoff berth every 3 years drastically lowers the likelihood of participating in 1 Super Bowl.

It also gives us a format to look at other teams who fit into that category who did not make the Super Bowl itself.

Teams who made the playoffs 5 times in that range but no Super Bowl:

CIN
    IND
    HOU

When you realize how few teams accomplished this and still didn’t make it, you can see that the “teams that make the playoffs but don’t do anything” narrative is dumb, because the odds are at some point if you continue that pace you will be in the big game.

This brings a question. How many out there truly believe that the Jets could not make the playoffs 5 times over the next decade with Deshaun Watson? Because even if he costs a lot, if you think the Jets have a reasonable expectation to achieve a playoff berth in 5 seasons from Watson’s age 26-35 seasons, you have to try and get it done. Keep in mind, Watson took the Texans in 2 of 4 seasons so far.

#1906 MaximusD163, Jan 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  7. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

5 times over the next 10 years is too little. They could probably sneak into the playoffs in 2021 but if JD and Saleh are everything we think they are, they should be in the playoffs every year barring injury.

8. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

All these guys are used to being rich at this point, it doesn't stop them from wanting to be respected by their teammates.

K'OB likes this.
  9. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

10. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

For what it's worth...

11. MaximusD163

It’s worth a laugh at least

HomeoftheJets and NYJFOREVER like this.
  12. MaximusD163

Well I think every year is unreasonable personally, there are ebbs and flows and just looking at these stats it shows how unlikely it is. But 5 is definitely the minimum in my opinion.

13. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

This thing really has legs lol. Lot of smoke so we will see if we need to call in the fire trucks. I'm trying not to get too excited till he actually asks to be traded, seems like he is waiting to see who the coach is gonna be. If it's not Bienamy I can see him wanting out.

14. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

The thing that has me getting ahead of myself is that from almost every account, the coach won't matter - the behind the scenes stuff is done, is worse than what's been reported, and can't be fixed. Hiring Bieniemy as the coach now would be equivalent to coming home with flowers after your wife caught you f*cking not her for the fourth time.

I just hope this latest report out of MIA is correct...

NCJetsfan and K'OB like this.
  15. Wah

Wah Well-Known Member

WTF is going on? This is like some shitty high school movie where the everyone tells the school geek that the prom queen wants to bang him... We all know how that one ends.

16. MaximusD163

Watson can’t technically be traded until the new league year so there is time to reconcile. The media is loving this, it’s the best thing to happen for them since, well, maybe anything. It hands them the juiciest storyline imaginable that literally will have no resolution for a while.

It’s hard, really hard not to get excited over the idea. The solace I’m taking right now is that the Texans seem to be handling this in some of the most creatively shitty ways, and if they hire Josh McCown it won’t matter if he is the greatest coach in NFL history because Watson will probably not be there to see day 1 of it.

NCJetsfan, FJF, abyzmul and 2 others like this.
  17. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

It isn't a good look, not that I could make head nor tail of the twitter link lol

REVISion likes this.
  18. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

Landing Watson makes losing out on Lawrence a non-issue for me, and in fact would make it a blessing that we landed at #2.

For the record, I’d take Watson over an unproven Lawrence any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Our future firsts will be a lot less valuable once Watson makes us a consistent playoff contender. At his age, with his talents as a passer... we might go a decade or more before needing to worry about the QB position. Considering our history, how do we not roll the dice on that?

Get it done Joe D.!!!!!

BudJet, rickjet and NYJetsO12 like this.
  19. MaximusD163

It kind of doesn’t matter. People are not understanding the no trade clause correctly anyway whether he prefers NY or Miami is inconsequential. If he’s that desperate to leave, he’s not going to veto one over the other.

20. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yep ..if we had opportunity for TL it would be different now we make up for 2017 whiff....sorry Sam but Darnold has to go. And TL will have to learn the ropes in NFL anyway

We gain instant respectability

The more I think about it makes sense... his age is the biggest factor . ..only 2 or 3 years removed from College

NCJetsfan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.