How Optimistic Are You?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 21, 2021.

1. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

I right with you bud, 54 years and counting... Only took 30 years for my wife to finally get it... leave the house, go shopping, whatever but leave. LOL.

AS for my feelings. RS was my choice all along. I thought his demonstrative demeanor couple with his achievements was exactly what this team needed. Frankly our team over the last four years played passionless , uninspired and unemotional FB. MHO there was little or no leadership in key areas (players and coaches) and there was no accountability which resulted in a team that played half-assed and flat in just about every game... I can not ever remember any of the previous HC coaching up their players like BB does or others... Like JD he has a plan to get the team functioning like an NFL team so lets see if he can execute it. remember, great plans fail when poorly implemented.

Will he succeed, I hope so and it looks like (my sincere hope) the JJ boys finally realize that they need to step back and get out of the way of their FB people. I think JD is the right guy and now we have a HC who will be in lock step. Finally, he is assembling a young coaching staff that is on the cutting edge (I think) of how FB in this era should be played... my hope is they can salvage SAM (if they can't so be it) and use the #2 to trade down and stock up on draft picks to fill all the holes this team has.

2. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

x10

ukjetsfan likes this.
  3. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Well-Known Member

This is honestly the best I felt since Rex's last year.

Bowles felt like a safe but uninspiring hire. Most of us knew Gase was gonna be a disaster from the drop but tried to talk ourselves into it.

Saleh just feels so different. There's so much buzz and positive energy. It seems like he really wants to be here and the front office is thrilled to have him. Former players and guys on our team seem genuinely happy for him and excited to play for him.

This is the best I've felt as a Jets fan in close to a decade.

azhar80 likes this.
  4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yes. Quite optimistic. :) Not that that would surprise anyone on this site! :D

Robert Saleh seems like a man of his word. And he said he is bringing Championship(s) plural to the Jets. I believe him!

It will be a process, but not as long as some may think. The Jets were (2-14) in 2020, but that was mostly due to bad coaching. A better coach would have a better record and I think Saleh will be much better.

Too early to say how big of a jump the Jets can have, but with a strong Free Agency and Draft, I think they can make a big jump in 2021. Maybe even an 8 game jump from (2-14) to (10-7) isn't out of the question.

azhar80 likes this.
  5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's better than golf.

abyzmul likes this.
  6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

So is curling.

Br4d likes this.
  7. 50ShadesOfGreen

50ShadesOfGreen Well-Known Member

I have an 8-8 expectation next year. Depending if they hit, then I will say playoffs in 2 years. I feel that JD and Saleh are a perfect fit for each other. And if the GM and HC have good chemistry, then I think they will improve this team.

8. Br4d

There are only a few teams in NFL history to follow up as bad a year as the Jets had last year with a .500 or above season. The Jets were one of them.

After the Saleh hire I kind of expect a 6 or 7 win season but I'd be really happy if they beat my expectations. Before Saleh was hired with an unknown HC coming in I expected the Jets to win 4 to 7 games next year so he has moved me to the top of the range.

Losmeister likes this.
  9. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The Chiefs did it in Reid's first year as their HC. I don't remember if they lacked talent the year before or were just poorly coached.

Yankjetfan likes this.
  10. Br4d

Andy Reid is a very good HC. The Jets did it with Parcells, who from my point of view is the archetypal Motivational CEO HC.

Note that both Reid and Parcells had other long HC gigs before they got to the team they turned around in a hurry.

I expect Saleh will have some first year growing pains, particularly if he drills down too deeply into the defense. It's really hard being a successful HC at the NFL level and delegating to good assistants is a huge part of being successful.

11. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

the chances of us drafting a QB as good as Watson are about a hundred to one - we would be crazy not to go after him - everything else about the team can be fixed (with a competent FO) but getting a true franchise QB requires a huge slice of luck and when are the Jets ever lucky?

Losmeister and AJW like this.
  12. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

As usual the turnaround was largely down to getting a decent QB on-board

The Chiefs went from having Matt Cassel and Brady Quinn who between them had the worst record in the NFL in offensive passing to having Alex Smith who, while not great, is a very solid QB (who had a pro bowl season that year)

Coaches get too much blame when things go bad and too much credit when things go well - its pretty much all about the QB

The fact that Parcells managed such a big turnaround with the same QB on the roster is even more impressive (though even he didn't have any real success until he made a change to QB (bringing in Vinny)

#52 JetsUK, Jan 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  13. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Neither one of us are a GM. Watson is a good QB as we all can see. But I don’t think you are paying attention to the way Douglas thinks and what he has shown. I just don’t see him making this move. Anyway what we think doesn’t matter. It’s his call.

SOJAZ and AJW like this.
  14. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

bingo

15. twown

twown Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

JD is smashing refresh on our poll every five seconds.

abyzmul likes this.
  16. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Optimistic? I’m not expecting a winning season in 2021.

If we draft a new QB, I’d expect a record similar to what Bengals/Burrow just posted. If, by a million-to-one chance, we get Watson, I’d expect a record closer to the Texans.

Neither are .500. This is a long process.

AJW and Br4d like this.
  17. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

If we have a miracle off-season and add Watson, Allen, Scherff and Sherman I'm absolutely expecting 8-8 or better. Our D will be better just based on having Saleh and Moseley back with the addition of Sherman and if we land those guys our offense will be dramatically improved.
    BTW, not expecting all that to happen just saying it could and would be pretty f'n cool.

SOJAZ likes this.
  18. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Decades of over inflated expectations that never flesh out and folks still expect miracles. New HC, staff and personnel but everything is supposed to jell after just ONE offseason.. No wonder Jet fans are so damn miserable. This is yet another rebuild and it will take more than one offseason to display results. There are no quick fixes (Watson), no miracles (Harbaugh), nothing but hard work in front of us. This will also require patience from the fanbase. Can we let Saleh actually put his first vision of the team on the field before we either expect a SB or a firing????

Jets69, SOJAZ and AJW like this.
  19. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Too early to tell really.

If we roll into the season with what we have now, we probably win 5-6 games.

If we make solid moves, stick with Sam, add WR/CB and a few offer positions i think we may be able to win 7 or even 8.

If we get Deshaun and make moves to fill out the roster? We may just get out of our 10 yr rebuild

AJW likes this.
  20. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I feel pretty good...I hope we can get Watson without having to give up the next 2 drafts.If we can land Watson for a reasonable trade then it will erase the not getting Lawrence feeling that we all had.

Brook! likes this.