The Deshaun Watson Situation (POLL added for the potential price)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Rockinz, Jan 16, 2021.

?

What is the MOST you would give up to get Watson?

1. Just the #2 pick

24 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. The two 1's and 3 we got from Seattle

37 vote(s)
    27.2%
  3. The #2, Seattles first in 2022, our 1st in 2023

55 vote(s)
    40.4%
  4. More - just get it done.

20 vote(s)
    14.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

this^

if we don't know what the deal is but if it's the 2nd overall, seattles 3rd, and seattles 1st next year i'd do it. becuase then it's basically trading jamaal adams and the 2nd overall pick for watson. they can draft watsons replacement with the 2nd overall. shed his cap room for 2022 and beyond and have an extra 1st next year and extra 3rd this year. we would still have a 1st this year, fill the QB need and all our picks next year. Then we can also trade darnold to get a pick back maybe a 2nd in this years draft and a conditional pick for 2022 draft.

2. GasedAndConfused

he'd be wise to stay with KC build a resume and wait another year over taking the houston job.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'd probably start with Seattle's pick this year and the better of the two 1st round picks next year and Sam, and would hope to get him as cheaply as possible. I'd be willing to give up the #2 this year, whichever 1st rounder is better in 2022, and our #1 in 2023. I'd also throw in a 3rd or 4th rounder, or Sam if need be.

4. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Fields is an enigma wrapped in a conundrum. I really like his toughness, his deep ball accuracy and the will to win he has. These qualities are similar to Russel Wilson so let’s call that his ceiling.

The part that scares me with his game is that he’s a 1 read QB that takes off if his first read is covered, his pocket awareness needs a lot of work, he tries to play hero ball against good defences and struggles with protections. These qualities are similar to Geno Smith so let’s call that his floor.

Now factor in the offence he ran in college under Day. It’s actually close enough to a pro style offence. I think Fields can be coached up and will be the 2nd pick in the draft. He has a high ceiling with a serviceable back up as his floor.

5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well I don't agree that he's pulling a Jamal Adams. Adams was playing games from Day 1, talking about how he wanted to be a leader and a Jet For Life, while he was working behind the scenes to get traded. And then when Douglas tried to make it happen (allegedly) Adams got all butt hurt and claimed he was "disrespected" and "unappreciated". Watson was made promises by the owner to be involved in hiring a new GM and HC, and then the owner reneged, and moreover, there are hints that the owner's decisions have been biased based on race and religion. IDK if that's true, but if it is that's a situation I wouldn't blame anyone for wanting out of.

Despite your few examples it is a QB-driven league. The teams with the best QBs are the most consistent winners over time. That doesn't mean there aren't exceptions, but if you want consistent success you need a QB who is well above average. And no, that doesn't mean that's all you need, but in all 90+ pages and counting here, I haven't seen anywhere that shows the Jets not having enough prime draft capital and cap space to pull this off.

And I'm all for dumping Mosely ASAP.

Snatch Catch and Jets4eva9011 like this.
  6. chad2coles

chad2coles Well-Known Member

If you are OK with trading Adams and #2, this is the package:

#2, #23, SEA 3rd round pick, and '22 SEA 1st round pick

I would do that, but I would hope that Douglas could negotiate to keep #23 and the 3rd round pick this year and give them a '23 1st round pick instead and a '22 3rd round pick.

7. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I think Darnold gets one more shot with the new scheme, it’s not the popular choice, but I think they will give him one chance.

Jets79 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. Wah

Wah Well-Known Member

Or on a team whose FQB may or may not be there next month. Houston is in big trouble... they are going to have to resolve this one way or another, real soon. If I’m a HC candidate with any shot at another job, I’m not touching that team until I know if I have the #2 pick or DW to work with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jets79 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

That’s why I would only offer 2nd overall pick in 2021, it’s an extremely valuable pick. Texans have 8 picks in this years draft. They can turn around and trade out of second for a lower 1st and 2nd round pick in 2021 and end up with 10 picks in this years draft.

Throw in a 2022, 1st round pick as well, they are sitting pretty as an organization again.

I’m not giving them anything else, Jets need their 2nd round picks and their 3rd round picks, that’s where they can still draft day one starters, I’m not counting on 4th, 5th round picks to fill holes on this team.

Jets79 and REVISion like this.
  10. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

He's been dying for a HC role for like 2-3 years now. Usually, I would agree, but I think Bienemy IS that desperate and would swallow his pride and take the job if the Texans offered it. Could be the only way he'd get a HC role.

Red Menace likes this.
  11. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I saw his shit game and his super game, so that leaves me at 50% could be a bust or a 50% could be a boom, so hence my other post said he has as much chance as being a boom or bust prospect as Sam.

I didn't like Sam I watched a couple of his games very early on and one of those was atrocious.

Btw the childish part was the back and forth of, you will, I won't, you will, I won't.

Please don't go down the how many games have you watched route, that isn't going to work for you in the long run is it? I mean I watched every single one of our miserable season just gone, how about you? 3 maybe 4 was it?

Now that kind of posting is what is fucking arrogant and ignorant and you have been at it on these couple of threads for the last few days, with all manner of posters throwing out broad accusations of how and what they are thinking is making them idiots/ignorant/stupid and whatever else you said, I can't be arsed to trawl through the threads to catalogue them, there is absolutely no need for it at all.

But if you call me ignorant one more fucking time for having a different opinion to you then I will call you a cunt though with absolutely no problem at all, there is no call for labelling people arrogant, ignorant and in the other post utter nonsense, no call for it at all. We are all Jets fans.

12. GasedAndConfused

no watson took a huge contract with houston to start the season with a no trade clause. committed to them to be the face of the franchise. got his coach fired with a player mutiny. went 4-12. sees the texans are in shit shape now and wants to bail.
    adams wasn't as bad, he seen the jets in shit shape and wanted to bail but at least did it before he signed a mega deal. watson could have refused a contract if he wanted out. he's a player anyway doens't really have a say in how the team is run. not even peyton manning picked his coach or GM. why does watson feel like he should get to in the 1st place.

ouchy likes this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

I think he does as well. and I don't think watson gets traded at all. when push comes to shove he isn't going to ruin his career and leave 160 million on the table to not play

Red Menace likes this.
  14. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

If KC loses this Sunday and the Texans hire Bienemy, we likely have our answer.

ouchy likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I missed only 2 games this year. The Rams game and one other.

16. GasedAndConfused

basically adams i said. I wouldn't give up the seattle pick this year since we are giving up a much better pick this year already

Red Menace likes this.
  17. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Coach Saleh alluded to it in his pressers...they have a lot to discuss regarding the roster.

I imagine they will probably start with QB and work their way out. So those conversations are probably being actively had now which means if there will be movement on this, I expect it will happen in the next week or so.

18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Did he say the after the first, second, third or fourth time he spoke about how genuine Christopher and Hymie were?

19. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This is funny because just yesterday I was told that..........

20. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

yah I don’t disagree really....the player is the player, he’s not the same guy that all of the past ones were. but I think I am not ignoring history. I’m literally acknowledging that school’s long history, whereas looking at Mahomes and Rodgers is pulling out two cases...

I’m not saying that Fields will for sure bust. He may very well turn out to be great.

I’m just saying I’m not as high on him as many others, or you, may be. That’s all.

To me, I am basing my admittedly extremely limited opinion on two things: first, most of the highlights and most of the two games I actually watched (so yes, EXTREMELY limited sample size), show a QB with tons of time in the pocket and literally no defender within five yards of him, throwing to receivers that were so wide open that the DB wasn’t even in the picture. That was the case on most of the throws I’ve seen. He hit the throws, looked great. But to me, 95% of the QBs could make those throws, and that is not at all what he’ll experience in the NFL...he won’t have 5 seconds to throw with no one in his face, and his receivers will likely have a DB right on them. Second, for whatever reason, that school has NEVER produced a quality NFL QB. Never. Why not? It’s a GREAT program. But it’s not in their DNA.

to me, personally, that scares me a little. That’s all I’m saying.

yes, Fields COULD be the first great QB from OSU. He’s got the talent most likely. He seems like a good kid. I have no idea about his football IQ at the QB position....based solely on that schools history, I’m guessing it’s probably not top notch because it doesn’t have to be to do well at that school. It I don’t know that at all. That’ll have to come from the pre draft process.

That being said, I LOVED what he did in the Clemson game. Toughness. Leadership. Made some great contested throws. Big stage, big game. Loved it. Didn’t do as well against Alabama, and NFL defenses will be better than Alabama, but he didn’t shit the bed by any means either.

personally, to me, he’s a bit risky. I’m not sure how he will translate to the NFL. But then that’s true for all college QBs. I think it’s the hardest position to project especially because it’s the most mentally challenging position in the game. You need the raw physical skills, which I think he has, but that’s only half the battle for a QB. You also need to be the smartest guy in the room, and a quick thinker and processor of info, and on top of all that, there is a natural instinct you need to have in terms of feeling the rush (Marino or Montana were probably the best I’ve ever seen at this), knowing where the open receiver is likely to be (think Peyton or Brady). There is so much beyond physical skills that go into this.

So personally, I don’t doubt Fields’ physical ability, but I seriously doubt the other stuff, if only because that school has NEVER produced a QB that’s any good at those kinds of attributes. Not rarely. NEVER. that’s is their DNA.

so maybe Day is breaking that trend, and maybe Fields will be literally the FIRST QB to make it from that long storied program.

but I have my doubts, and I’m not sure I’d risk the 2nd overall on it.

however, I do trust JD, and if he and Saleh believes that is the best use of the pick, then I’ll support it 100% and get behind it.

we’ll see what JD does...if he feels strongly that Fields (or Wilson) is that guy, then that would be even better than trading three first rounders for Watson, as it would get us our QB AND allow us to use multiple firsts to build around him.

NCJetsfan and Pags2112 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.