The Deshaun Watson Situation (POLL added for the potential price)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Rockinz, Jan 16, 2021.

?

What is the MOST you would give up to get Watson?

1. Just the #2 pick

24 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. The two 1's and 3 we got from Seattle

37 vote(s)
    27.2%
  3. The #2, Seattles first in 2022, our 1st in 2023

55 vote(s)
    40.4%
  4. More - just get it done.

20 vote(s)
    14.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Honest question. Would you give up picks 2, 23, and 34 in 2021, and our 1st in 2022?

Because that is the more realistic deal JD is going to be facing.

Bellys Lies likes this.
  2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Here's a link to this story and by all accounts, it seems like the fences are far from mended...

https://www.si.com/nfl/texans/news/houston-texans-mcnair-privately-apologizes-to-deshaun-watson

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Sorry, I didn't mean to take out all my frustration on you. I don't mean to be rude. I'm just too passionate for my own good, and guess I need to just stop following the Jets or caring about them.

I agree and have said numerous times that just a great QB alone isn't enough. The QB needs a good team around him. The Jets have the cap space and the draft picks to build around Watson or any QB they draft. That's the crux of the matter. Too many posters are acting like the Jets will sign Watson or draft a QB and then do nothing else to build around him. They are projecting what Mac, Idzik, Bradway and the other awful Jets' GMs have done onto JD, and he isn't stupid and incompetent like they are (at least he doesn't seem to be so far).

#1783 NCJetsfan, Jan 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    50ShadesOfGreen likes this.
  4. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Well, what a shocker.

abyzmul likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

Dude, have you read this thread? Posters have pointed out in detail that the Jets will still have plenty of draft picks to build around Watson. You couldn't be more wrong!

The Jets have more talent than you claim they do, and they should have had two Pro Bowlers this year in Q. Williams and Becton. Both were jobbed.

6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I forgot its the offseason, a time when Jet fans slowly revert to believing they are a 10-6 team. Playoffs for sure next year guys.

7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Page 90, and STILL people don't understand.

NYJFOREVER, FJF and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. NCJetsfan

You're better than this. No one is wanting JD to act like Tannenbaum. Just because we trade for Watson doesn't mean we can't build a foundation for long term success. The QB position is the best predictor of long-term success. If you have an elite QB, you have an excellent chance to have long term success. If you don't, you have little chance of having long-term success. We have the draft picks and cap space to still build around Watson. If JD continues to draft well and if Saleh is any kind of HC at all, we will win with Watson at QB.

The draft is a crap shoot. Fields is a great prospect, but there are no guarantees that he would wind up anything more than a solid/average NFL QB. I think he will, but there are no guarantees. If we trade for Watson it is guaranteed that he will play at an elite level. He didn't let the Texans drag him down this year. He did everything he could to lift their level of play.

I don't want to see some long, drawn out rebuild. Back during the season, I was willing to do that, but no longer, not when we can add Watson and be competitive immediately or almost immediately. I'm sick of losing. I want something to cheer about.

9. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

Now you're just gassing it, lol. No one is claiming the Jets are winning the SB next year, Watson or not. But Watson plus good drafting and good moves (along with Saleh and a new staff) could have the Jets at around 10 wins for all you know. Look at 2009 as an example.

10. NCJetsfan

I want Watson, because there's no doubt about what level of QB he is. He will make us a winner and change the culture if Saleh is any kind of HC and JD continues drafting well. Failing getting Watson, then I want Fields.

11. NCJetsfan

Have you seen Fields play other than the Alabama and maybe Clemson game? I've gone back and watched game film and detailed analysis of his play. You can call it "childish" if you want or call me a "cunt," but I think it arrogant and ignorant to state that a QB will bust because of his school and when you haven't seen him play. I don't believe that anyone who knows anything at all about football, playing the QB position, and has seen other topnotch QBs, could look at Fields and say that he is going to bust.

12. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

13. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

In 2009 we were returning from a 9-7 season and went 9-7 again.

14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Understood, but both those teams had won SBs or been successful in relatively recent history, not being QB-starved for half a century.

And yes, I get the argument that you can get to an win a SB with a competent, but not great QB - the Jets almost did it with Sanchez and he was barely competent - and that's why I've said on this forum many times that the Jets (or a more talented team) could win with Darnold. BUT...the odds of getting to and winning a SB are much better with a great QB than not, and the odds of contending for one most years even if you don't get there, is much greater with a great QB.

What you and others who are anti-Watson seem to be not factoring into the equation is that a great QB, in his prime being available has never happened before. It's a "unicorn" event. Throw out the historical comparisons because there are none. Watson is still young enough that even if it takes the Jets another 3-4 years to assemble all the talent needed - and I seriously doubt it will take more than 2 years - he'll STILL be a QB in his absolute prime. And for all the handwringing about how much he'll cost, that number is relative and essentially shrinks over time as revenues and caps rise. Understood that this year that didn't happen, and maybe next year will also be a down year, but if that continues then the NFL will go the way of the WFL and it's all moot at that point. So many fans have been brainwashed by the owners cry of poverty and destitution while ignoring the virtual ATM machine every franchise is. They can afford it, they just don't want to trim their bloated profits.

Bottom line: it's a QB-driven league, and you need to invest in where you'll get the greatest return. Max's original numbers bear this out. Even if you don't restructure Watson's contract (which is entirely doable), and you say 15% of the team's cap is applied to just him, you need to ask yourself - in terms of percentage - how important is the QB position to a team's success? IMO it's at least one third, but let's be conservative and say a quarter, that's still a 10% "savings" in what a good QB should cost.

All that said, I'll be surprised if Watson winds up a Jet.

15. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I didn’t see your post on what draft capital are you willing to give up for Watson.

I put out what I’m willing to give for him.....2021(2nd overall ) and 2023(1). The reason I’m being so stingy is because Houston made their bed, and it’s not Jets job to bail them out.

Houston wants to do what Jets should do, have more draft capital they can use to reset the clock with a rookie FQB contract.

Houston can also parlay the second overall pick into more picks in this years draft.

Let’s remember that Houston already has 8 picks in this years draft all they need are picks in 1st and 2nd rounds.

So I ask again, what are you willing to give for Watson?

#1795 Red Menace, Jan 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    GasedAndConfused likes this.
  16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Probably not, but I don't think it will take that. But for argument's sake, let's say it did, I might, though I also might not. As you and others have argued, you do need to add talent around him and giving up that much prime capital in a two year period would really almost prevent that.

ouchy likes this.
  17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Whoa buddy. There’s another 130 pages before we lock this.

Jets79 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

see the thing is i'm not anti watson. he's a fantastic player. love the guy. would love to have him on the jets. I'm just not a fan of what we would have to give up and the crazy contract houston gave him and the fact he's pulling a jamaal adams who we all just said good riddance we don't need that type of player on our team. now everyone did a 180 and it's ok when another teams player does it and we'll happily take him. people who talked shit about adams are being hypocrites right now. what watson is doing is worse then what adams did.

If it was a "QB driven league" as you say the jets would have never made back to back AFCC games. The texans wouldn't have sucked this year. rivers wouldn't have went his whole career barely winning 1 playoff game. stafford wouldn't have been a perenial loser. peyton manning wouldn't have only won 1 superbowl with the colts. the cowboys wouldn't have sucked with dak the past few years. yes you need a good QB you also need a good team. especially when it gets to the playoffs. if it was a QB driven league brady wouldn't have lost 3 superbowls to the likes of eli manning twice and nick foles once. the eagles won that SB with a back up QB over the best playoff QB of all time because they had a better team around him. a elite Qb on a bad team is still a bad team. a QB is just 1 piece to the puzzle.

As far as owners affording things of course they can. cash wise. it's not the cash it's the cap. it's not the MLB where some teams are poor and teams that aren't can spend all they want and not worry about it. the NFL is about parity and the cap keeps that in place and with covid lowering the cap it's going to be an interesting offseason. we are fine this year but in 2022 when mosley and watsons contract numbers boom we won't be so well off.

If we get watson i'll be happy. I just in JD's judgement. there is no right or wrong answer here and it isn't an easy call. I'm just being objective and looking at it form all angles instead of just being a fan and looking at having an elite young QB on our team. nothing wrong with either way of looking at it. just 2 different views

19. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

If I'm Bienemy do I really want to go to a team where the owner doesn't really want me but the QB does - on a franchise that is in flames? He'd have to be pretty desperate.

20. NCJetsfan

I disagree. Like Jets4eva9011 said, it's a poor argument. It ignores/doesn't learn from history of Aaron Rodgers and Cal and Patrick Mahomes and Texas Tech. They weren't rated highly mostly because they were summarily dismissed because of the school they attended and no great QBs had ever graduated from there and you're repeating the same mistake.

One has to judge the player on his own merits. "Schools" don't teach or coach or develop football players. Coaching staffs do, and coaching staffs change. Styles of play change. You'd have a point if Woody Hayes, or any of the past HCs and CS at Ohio St. were still there. They aren't. Ryan Day has only been there two seasons. OSU could become QB U under Day, or Fields could wind up being the only great QB prospect every to play at OSU, but that wouldn't make him any less of a prospect.

I don't know that there is a college/university that has churned out a lot of great NFL QBs (Miami did a few, but also has had quite a few stinkers), but if so, would you draft any QB that played there? If not, why not? And if not, your reasons should be similar to why you shouldn't rule out Fields because he played at OSU. If so, you could easily be inviting a wasted draft pick. It all depends upon the individual player, his background, his natural talent, the coaching he received in Pop Warner, high school, QB camps, the CS and HC at the university, the player's instincts and football IQ, his work ethic and desire to be the best he can bet, etc., and the situation and coaching of the team in the NFL that drafts him.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.