The Deshaun Watson Situation (POLL added for the potential price)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Rockinz, Jan 16, 2021.

?

What is the MOST you would give up to get Watson?

1. Just the #2 pick

24 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. The two 1's and 3 we got from Seattle

37 vote(s)
    27.2%
  3. The #2, Seattles first in 2022, our 1st in 2023

55 vote(s)
    40.4%
  4. More - just get it done.

20 vote(s)
    14.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

you don’t really think JD wouldn’t even consider it, do you? This is the guy who said he’d always listen to any calls. He proved that with the Adams deal where he took calls.

he’ll investigate

I don’t think the issue is that he wouldn’t consider it. I think he would, but I think also think he wouldn’t trade away the moon to get it done. I think he’d make a “reasonable” offer but not an overly exorbitant one. I don’t know what that line is for him obviously, but I’d bet that 2 first rounders he would do....4 first rounders probably wouldn’t do. To me, the mystery is if he would consider 3 first rounders, which seems to be the consensus here on what it would take, reasonable or exhorbitant.

we don’t know

2. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Adams is a good point. He started taking his complaints to twitter and JD traded him so fast it made our heads spin.

Do you really think he is going to give up three 1sts for a guy who is pulling a worse version of the Adams routine?

3. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Don't be to disappointed in JD. Only in your fantasy world is that the trade on the table. In the real world the Texans will demand our top 2, probably 3, picks in 2021. Its not like they are going to say, "Ya keep a first this year and we'll take it in 2023". They will want high picks and want them now. We are not a tempting partner to them because we have a 1st in 2023. We are tempting because we have multiple 1sts right now.

Jets79 likes this.
  4. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

I'm Jets since the mid/late 70s, Spurs only since around '05 when I discovered EPL. City is my second team though, because I'm also NYCFC. And I thoroughly enjoyed that Agueroooooo moment in 2012, you must have lost your mind, haha

K'OB likes this.
  5. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

wow....that list is horrendous. I knew this instinctively as I just can’t recall any really good OSU QBs in the NFL, but I didn’t realize it was literally ZERO good QBs.

wow

and that’s a great program

this is a HUGE concern for me when it comes to Fields. I totally get that history of those guys has nothing to do with Fields as an individual or as a prospect, but to me, it totally DOES affect my expectations of his potential NFL success.

when you have such a longtime great program, and such an ugly history at the NFL QB spot, there is a systemic reason for it....it’s not just coincidence. My personal opinion is that because that school is such a powerhouse, and they do excel at OL and running game, and they play plenty of weaker teams, I think most of their QBs throws are uncontested....so much time in the pocket with no real pass rush, wide open receivers, etc. those QBs aren’t forced to make tougher throws most of the time. But whatever the reason, that school is not teaching QB skills that translate to the NFL.

when I watched Fields highlights, I saw most of them like this. When I watched a couple of games, he showed up pretty well, especially that Clemson game, but still, a lot of “easy” throws....not easy in that anyone can do it, more so easy in terms of that’s not how the NFL game will be.

I do get that this is also true for many college QBs, no doubt. Especially ones at great schools.

but to me, this is the best explanation I can see for why OSU is so piss poor at developing NFL quality QBs, and this is a huge part of why I would probably not draft Fields at 2 overall....I think he has a huge bust risk.

K'OB likes this.
  6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Mr “free thinker“ is also now a soothsayer? I should just gracefully bow out of all conversation with you. My opinion will never be as informed as yours and my hypothetical scenarios will always be wrong while yours are right.

7. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

That wasn’t the discussion, though. The discussion was a look at the contracts of Super Bowl winning QB’s revealing they were either on rookie deals or took less money as a defense of trading for Watson’s contract. The problem with that argument is it only applies to the first year; after that his contract runs in opposition of the argument.

8. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Your sarcasm doesn't make my point untrue.

9. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

It's still ultimately a poor argument, though. You could make the same example for Cal until Aaron Rodgers came out, Texas Tech until Patrick Mahomes came out, etc.

Fields is also the best QB prospect OSU has had.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Case in point.

11. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Who’s throwing him the ball? Darnold? A rookie?

If I were him I’d pass on that unless the number is way more that he’s worth.

12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm still of the belief that JD isn't going to set aside his "blueprint" in favor of taking a shortcut by grabbing Watson. While I'm a big believer in his "slow and steady wins the SB" approach, that was before Watson entered the picture (possibly). If Watson truly becomes available and Douglas doesn't do his damnedest to get him (I'll explain what my value of "damnedest" is in a minute), I'm going to be really disappointed in him. Will I quit following the Jets? No, but I might fade into the background for while which I've done over the years.

But here's the thing that concerns me about Douglas: he isn't aware - and by that I mean he hasn't actually endured the decades of QB starvation the Jets have had to deal with. We're not talking 20 years as someone poste here, we're talking since Joe Namath! Sure Penny had a couple of pretty good years, and Kenny O was above average and gave us a couple of thrills, but we haven't had consistent high caliber QB play since Namath - that's a Freaking half a century! Let that sink in. I knw a lot of posters here aren't even 50 years old, let alone having lived through all of that. That's monumental organizational failure. That's like an old, traditional wire line telephone company had decided back in the Eighties that cellphones were never going to work and failed to invest in the technology! And what's even more maddening is that the Jets had the damn blueprint back in the Sixties (along with the rest of the AFL teams) for the type of football being played now! Hell, they even named the team the Jets to give them the high flying, high octane image of jet planes (and also because they played right across the way from the airport)! But after Namath left they decided to go "old school" in an apparent attempt to win over fans of the "3 yards and a cloud of dust" NFL game, believing that "defense wins championships". And back then that was a formula you could follow, but with the arrival of a new century, the NFL began changing the rules to be heavily offense oriented. What did the "high flying Jets" do - stuck with the formula that has yet to deliver them one championship!

Ok, well back to now. What I think is reasonable for JD to give up for Watson is the #2 overall, this year's 2nd, next year's Seattle 1st, and a 2nd. If I absolutely had to I'd give them a 2nd and a 4th in 2023, and maybe consider giving them this year's Seattle 1st instead of the second rounder.

Bottom line: I'm not going to slit my wrists if they don't get Watson (again, assuming he's even really available) but if Douglas doesn't give it a good faith effort, I'm going to be really disappointed.

13. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

She just came in and she has crashed the car today, knocked the passenger door handle off on a post, she helpfully only picked half of the doot handle up off the floor, I am now on my way to a 70 mile round trip to find it.

So, currently, the deal to the slave traders is take the fucker right now. :mad::mad::mad:

MoWilkBeast and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

FWIW JD was with the eagles and ravens when they won superbowls. both teams built solid overall teams and drafted their QB and won with them on rookie contracts. If he has a blueprint it's likely drafting a QB this year and building a team through the draft and a few FAs not splashing on watson. he also won his SBs with 2 medicore QBs flacco and foles

15. K'OB

It was the moment I had been waiting for all my football life and tbh it looked like we had fucked it up big style, unbelievable.

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Just because no other QBs from OSU have been that good in the NFL doesn't mean that Fields is likely to be a bust. They have a different HC now. Fields is the highest ranking high school QB that ever played for OSU. He was ranked as the #2 QB behind Lawrence. He played at a much higher level at OSU than any of his predecessors and is more physically gifted than any of his predecessors. He's not a lazy ass like Dwayne Haskins. Fields is a hard worker and wants to be great. There is no way he busts. You can book on that.

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No I won't, because it will never happen.

18. K'OB

So who do you want Fields which is this argument or Watson which you were slating folk for not wanting in another thread?

I'll book that, I think the odds will be in my favour, hopefully, he busts for somebody else and not the Jets.

19. K'OB

Oh, but you will because he will be a massive bust.

See how childish that sounds :rolleyes:

20. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

We can probably stop torturing ourselves and move on. Watson got an apology from McNair per reports, and publicly took responsibility for the dysfunction. They have plenty of time to hire Bienemy and make Watson happy. Time to look this thread and move on. I’m sad about it, but this will drag in for months and JD and Robert won’t wait around past the draft to move on.

GasedAndConfused and K'OB like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.