The Deshaun Watson Situation (POLL added for the potential price)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Rockinz, Jan 16, 2021.

?

What is the MOST you would give up to get Watson?

1. Just the #2 pick

24 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. The two 1's and 3 we got from Seattle

37 vote(s)
    27.2%
  3. The #2, Seattles first in 2022, our 1st in 2023

55 vote(s)
    40.4%
  4. More - just get it done.

20 vote(s)
    14.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

God dammit. I was emotionally out earlier today with Schefter's repeated and seemingly coded "don't get your hopes up" to Greenie, but I just saw that Michael Smith, the national sports media figure above, who today put forth the fact-filled, rational case of why the Jets are a great spot for this all to go down...is not only friends with Deshaun Watson, but hung out with him this past weekend.

I'm trying so hard - so desperately - to believe that these people are just effing with my emotions for marketing purposes because I don't want to get f*cked over, as we Jets fans seemingly always do in the end LOL

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKII7vunp6d/

[​IMG]

BrowningNagle and FJF like this.
  2. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

It’s a great argument solely if the Jets win the Super Bowl next year; it not a good argument if they don’t when his cap hit steadily goes to $30 million to near $40 million over the following three seasons.

3. NYGANGGREEN

NYGANGGREEN Well-Known Member

Dont do this to me...I'm so ready to be hurt again

FJF likes this.
  4. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

HAVE WE SIGNED HIM YET ???!!!

FJF likes this.
  5. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

If we get him, no doubt in my mind Allen Robinson comes with him.

donkey, Falco21 and FJF like this.
  6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

no chance, apparently trading for Watson is the only transaction the Jets can make this year. No draft or free agents .

7. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

This is the part that I find interesting.

You can have this winning lottery ticket worth 1 million dollars. (Watson)

Or

You can have 3 lottery tickets that haven’t been scratched off yet but could be worth up to 1 million dollars each. (Draft Picks)

If I was confident that Douglas would pick super stars with all of his round 1 and 2 picks I’d keep the picks because one of them would be a QB anyway, but thats not how this works.

8. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

I totally get the arguments for keeping the picks and building a base as the historical route to success but this is an ahistorical situation. One player at THE key position who's age and production would (KC aside) generate at least a meeting and review of their options in every other team in the league.

My feeling is the Texans will go for a 'Rooney hire' to appease Watson and keep him locked in but if he does end up on the trade block then wherever he goes is going to generate years of discussion and 'what-ifs'.

Right now it's a case of in JD I trust.

ColoradoContrails, FJF and Red Menace like this.
  9. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Just to make sure I understand clearly, as there has been a lot reading for me lately.

You would be willing to trade 2021-(2) (23) and 2022-(1st)?

10. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I trust his judgment as well. I’d love to land Watson and think we should make a real go at it but I certainly wont be upset if we don’t.

I will be less than thrilled if he lands in Miami or New England.

ColoradoContrails and Jets79 like this.
  11. 50ShadesOfGreen

50ShadesOfGreen Well-Known Member

You didn't need to be so rude and condescending about it. You still need a solid roster and good coach to get anywhere, even with an elite QB. As proven with the Texans this year and other franchises that suffered the same fate while having a top 10 QB. The years that each of these elite QBs have won a superbowl, it was a combination of having a great coach and well-built roster as aid.

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

he's practically telling the Jets to trade for his friend. That's no coincidence. I think Watson wants to come here. Make the damn deal Douglas

FJF likes this.
  13. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I really really hope that if Watson does get traded and it isn’t us, we find out that it’s because he chose a different team. If Douglas doesn’t even make an attempt to get a franchise altering player for a deal that would allow us to keep first round picks over the next two years then he would have to be fired in my book.

bicketybam likes this.
  14. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I said...

He is as big a boom or bust RISK as Sam.

The crucial word is risk ;)

QB's from that college do not make NFL QB's it is an historical fact, you want to risk that Fields is the one that breaks the rules?

Jets79 likes this.
  15. K'OB

You will be when he busts, which was the context of the 'WE' in that post.

joe and abyzmul like this.
  16. K'OB

Utter nonsense?

How many QB's from his college have made NFL QB's?

https://buckeyeswire.usatoday.com/2020/03/14/the-history-of-ohio-state-quarterbacks-in-the-nfl/

So utter nonsense you say in your own sweet style?

It has nothing to do with him being a prospect, they are all fucking prospects, Sam was a prospect.

The context was he is as big a RISK as Sam ever was and the reason is linked above, Sam's risk was the fact he was an INT machine and still is.

ColoradoContrails and abyzmul like this.
  17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

March 17th is right around the corner.

HomeoftheJets and FJF like this.
  18. K'OB

English gold standard sarcasm right there.

Well done :D

19. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I just think it’s funny that Jet fans have been clamoring for an Ozzy Newsome type GM, now that we have him, and he’s putting together the foundation for a long term sustained success formula, they want him to act like Mike Tannenbaum.

JD was honest, said he would pick up the phone and listen as any good GM should.

I still would like to see his formula be carried out for the Jets with all of their high draft picks. Even if he has to trade out of the second spot and parlay that into more picks, to build our team.

Is Watson a stud QB? Yes he is, but I want to see this through with JDs way of building the team.

I would also like to add, if Jets gave up 2021(2)
    2022(1st)

I would do it because Houston will parlay those picks into more picks and get rid of a big contract that will hamstring them.

We are doing them a favor and it’s not the Jets responsibility to bail them out of bad personnel decisions by overpaying for their screw ups.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. nyjetsgreen

nyjetsgreen Active Member

If Deshuan Watson comes to NY guaranteed both Douglas and Saleh will be gone in 3 years this team has holes everywhere didn't even have a pro bowler this year they need draft picks to rebuild there is no way you can achieve that in free agency. If anything Jets should trade back a few spots to grab more picks if Sam Darnold isn't the guy then draft Fields or Wilson still a lot cheaper then Watson. The Jets really need 4 first round picks to add some real talent thecant afford to be trading 3 first round picks over the next 2 years when this team is mostly scrubs. They might have 3 young kids on this team that have potential the rest are scrubs. They do this they will end up going 5-11 the next 3 years and Watson will leave NY along with Douglas getting fired hope he isnt going to do the Jetsy thing and trade for Watson.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.