How Optimistic Are You?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

New head coach new dreams. In terms of play offs, when do you think we will make it?

Do you believe we will make it to the Superbowl with Joe D and Saleh?

chandler likes this.
  2. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

Without a franchise QB, I have no faith in this team having sustained success, yet alone a realistic shot at winning a championship. Maybe 35 years of futility have made me cynical, but I’m pretty sure I’ve earned the right.

Doreblade, JETS1116, SOJAZ and 6 others like this.
  3. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Realistically the goal should be playoffs in 2022. Going from 2-14 to the playoffs in a year is a tall order.

As far as the Superbowl, that depends on the QB situation. JD needs to address that sooner rather than later because we aren't winning a superbowl with Sam Darnold.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

4. Brook!

Here is a letter I received from Saleh which was sent to Season Ticket holders. Yes I am hopefull.

A Letter from Head Coach Robert Saleh

Dear xxx

I wanted to draft a quick note to express how excited, honored and truly humbled I am to serve as the head coach of the New York Jets. To my wife Sanaa and I, family is everything. And to be so graciously welcomed into your Jets family, is the honor of our lifetime.

When OUR team hits the field, we will be prepared, tough and competitive working daily to encompass the motto, ‘All Gas, No Brake.’ Our goal is to play fast enough to erase anyone’s mistakes. To do this we will focus on the little details that day in and day out come together to put our players in the best position to be successful.

We are working hard to assemble a staff that complements one another and to be exactly what our players need and deserve. We will be teachers, developers, leaders and innovators. In short, we will be whatever our players need.

There is a lot of work to be done, but I wanted to take a moment to thank Christopher Johnson, Joe Douglas, Hymie Elhai, and most importantly you, our most loyal fans, for this tremendous opportunity. I look forward to working together as a team to establish a winning culture that we can all be proud of.

Let’s Go Jets!

Coach Saleh

jackie1013, JETS1116, BudJet and 3 others like this.
  5. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

Being a Jet fan for a very long time I will wait this out. We hear this all the time. I want us to draft real well. We haven't been able to do that in ages. Time will tell.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

6. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

You are still going to throw your hard earned money down the toilet? Haven't you learned?

Brook! likes this.
  7. Brook!

I am an eternal optimist AJW. You know me better than anybody on this board. Jets are my only passion in America. :)

BleedJetsGreen1981, K'OB and Falco21 like this.
  8. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

I would advise you get into baseball too. Whether it be the Mets or Yankees. This way you don't have to wait around for football season.

hornblower and Brook! like this.
  9. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Not overly hopeful. I think Saleh is a homerun hire. He's going to be a fantastic coach, but the Jets are still the Jets. They'll find some completely Jet-like way to screw it up. Remember, this is a franchise that can't even lose properly.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

All depends on the QB.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Of course I want to see us win a Super Bowl ultimately and I've made the pledge that I will find a way to get there if we do no matter the price tag.

However after this decade I'd settle for two playoff appearances every four years and the season generally not being over before Halloween.

The 49ers got destroyed by injuries and they were still competitive and fun to watch even without an impending playoff run.

Brook! likes this.
  12. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Do I even need to answer this question?! Lol

Honestly, I am stoked to see where this franchise goes and I am excited as hell to see this draft happen. We have such a unique opportunity right now with a shit ton of money and a lot of really good draft picks. A lot can happen in one offseason.

Noam, Snatch Catch and Brook! like this.
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Right now I'm very optimistic. If we can't be optimistic now, when can we as Jets fans? I'm not worried about JD's moves in FA or the draft. The only three things that are concerns right now are the QB position and the lack of experience so far on the D side of the CS and we don't know who the STs Coordinator will be yet.

The lack of experience could bite us in the butt, but if they are innovative, smart, and good teachers, it could be a good thing that they're young and not set in their ways. Saleh could help mold them into really good coaches on D. I like that a number of the coaches are former NFL players. I also like that two of the assistants have been Asst. STs coaches so they can help with STs as well. I also like that there are so many assistants. I don't know if that's because the Johnsons wouldn't pay big bucks for fewer big name, more experienced coaches so Saleh got around that by hiring a lot of young, cheap assistants, or what.

If we get the right QB, I will continue to be very optimistic. If not, I will probably become a dark sider.

I believe that JD will acquire the talent that can get us to the SB. What remains to be seen is if Saleh and his staff can coach the team well enough. I love the LaFleur hire as OC. Hopefully, he will be around for at least 3-4 years. If we are able to trade for Watson. I think we will have a very good chance of making the playoffs in 2021. If not, and we get one of Fields, Lance or Wilson, I think we'd certainly have a shot of making the playoffs in 2022, but it may be 2023. With Sam at QB, I think we're more likely to finish 4-12 than 9-7.

Noam and bicketybam like this.
  14. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

My optimism depends almost entirely on the draft. If we don't take a QB at some point in the first round I will lose most of my faith in JD/Saleh. It's been clear for at least a decade that the NFL is now an offense-driven league (and more specifically passing-driven). If we don't address the most important position in the sport after finishing 32nd in offense and with the worst starting QB in the NFL last year it's not a good sign.

bicketybam likes this.
  15. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

The Jets, so far, have made the right moves in the off-season. As long as they don’t offend me, I’m optimistic.

Snatch Catch likes this.
  16. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Best case scenario:
    Playoffs - 2022
    Super Bowl - 2023

hornblower likes this.
  17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Playoffs!?? Playoffs?!!

I just want them to look like they know what they are doing out there.

18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Waiting for football season kind of feels like a baseball game.

Imagesrdecieving, twown and Br4d like this.
  19. Vahncase

Vahncase Well-Known Member

I don't expect playoffs this year unless JD hits a home run with the draft. As long as we lose due to being out-talented instead of getting out-coached, I'd be content.

Imagesrdecieving and ouchy like this.
  20. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Pumped

but I was pumped for

Rex too

Time will tell