Jets hire Robert Saleh

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Jan 14, 2021.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

As Buggs Bunny used to say, "What a maroon!"

LAJet and Noam like this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I guess I'm in the minority that liked Dan Campbell's fire? Didn't come out in a very eloquent manner but he certainly seems like he'll get guys to run through brick walls for him ala Rex. Whether he can develop players and put them in the right position to succeed is another story.

These might become trendy in Detroit.

[​IMG]

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

What did I tell you guys? Didn't I tell you that the org. structure would change and that Saleh would report to JD? JD is running the team now. Chris Johnson learned. Woody probably never will.

4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

If he said he would bite testicles off on the way up instead of kneecap, I would be onboard. But who the hell is trying to bite kneecap off on the way up, wouldn't you just get kneed in the teeth and go back down with fewer of them? This is 10 times the bravado of Rex with 1/10th of the accomplishments.

HomeoftheJets, Red Menace and Noam like this.
  5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

No matter what happens, he is going to be a legend in Detroit. Rex kind of made me cringe at times during his opening presser, Dan Campbell makes me want to crush a beer can on my forehead. You should check out Pat McAfee's take on his press conference.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  6. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Most of the time new coaches don't say much, other than the typical platitudes, cliches, and maybe their overall philosophy/motto (which is usually another cliche).

So it's not so much the words, but getting a sense of who they are, and what their personality may be.

For instance, Rex even looking nervous and uncomfortable in an oversized suit, still came across fearless and bold.
    More fiery than eloquent, but I could tell immediately he was gonna connect big with players.

Bowles was soft spoken and even keeled.
    Wasn't sure at the time if that was a good thing or not, but figured that is what you'd see on field.

Gase came across paranoid, uncomfortable and defensive.
    One of the oddest pressers I can remember, which you just knew would translate to a similar tenure here.

With Saleh, I'm seeing humble, genuine, passionate and inspirational.
    Not as brash as Rex, but I think will connect similarly with players. This is so important towards success imo.
    I'm not sure how he will do, but I think it's the right mindset and personality for the job.
    That's what I got out of today.

REVISion, LAJet and Noam like this.
  7. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Speaking of odd first presser's, here's Tomsula's.
    lol, you can almost pinpoint the moment in this quick Youtube where the 49ers owners seem to realize they may have made a mistake.

8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Yes that's how I felt from it too but I couldn't say it so eloquently

9. Jonathan_Vilma

I got the same feeling. Too business like for a guy that has veins popping out of his head on the sidelines and knocks his own players down with a chest bump when they sack Kyler Murray.

The reporters didn't do him any favors either though. A lot of softball questions from the vaunted New York media. Most questions would've had to lead to gargling CJ and Hymie's balls. The New York media seems to really want this to work and rightfully so. More people read content leading to advertising clicks when the teams good. I don't want to read a thing Cimini has to say when we're 1-13.

It felt a little bit like the Mets managers presser a couple years ago when he said we're going to love our players. Soft.

But either way I don't think it was a true indication of who he is as a coach which is slightly disappointing.

abyzmul likes this.
  10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

First look was just fine, not sure what you were expecting. Of course he said good things about Johnson, the guy just paid him a fortune for 5 years, and here is a thought, if he didn't like Johnson I doubt he would be taking the job. So he was honest about it, no biggie. Answered every question asked pretty well. Gave a slogan of all gas, no breaks, family, accountability to each other, personal involvement, improving every day, supporting players to get better. Didn't look like crazy eyed lunatic two years ago, which is a plus. We need to relax a bit. As far as important stuff that came out:

- Reporting structure change. This is important or they wouldn't do it. It's not as important now, but if things go sideways, JD will have a say to get rid of him. Under old structure, it would be pretty tough situation to go to he boss and complain about your peer, who might do the same. Hopefully it won't come down to that, but you never know.
    - Woody is coming back. I know last 10 years have been tough under both Johnsons, but I truly feel Chris has turned the corner, by finding and getting JD, firing Mac, then Gase, and now impressing Saleh enough, and paying Saleh for 5 years. He also seems to have full trust in JD. Right now I am happy with the ownership. Woody does not have the same repour with JD and Saleh obviously, so I am slightly worried this may effect things, though I don't think it will as major part of getting a GM and coach is already done. Chris said he will be around too. So, should not be very concerning, but something to keep an eye on.
    - Saleh made LaFleur hiring official, We knew that, but still good to be sure
    - Saleh named his DC. The DC is 43 years old and had DC experience last year. Seemed to have improved Atlanta defense, but still it was one of the worst, even worse than Jets, so I am not sure how much he improved it. The jury is still out on this guy, seemed to have been around pretty good defensive coaches (Carol, Quinn), but hasn't really contributed to dominant defenses.
    - Non committal on Sam, basically same line as Johnson and JD.

All and all, a solid intro press conference you would expect from a good HC candidate. We will need to find out more when the games are actually played.

REVISion and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I liked it a lot

And Campbell hired Aaron Glenn as DC too :( we hired the wrong guy

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Damn I never saw that. Probably one of the more bizarre hires of the last two decades (along with Gase). At least they recognized their mistake rather quickly.

Speaking of which - the same dumbfuck that hired him and Chip Kelly in successive seasons just got the GM job with the Jaguars. How long til he forces Urban Meyer out?

abyzmul likes this.
  13. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I must admit, I am a bit underwhelmed with our DC, and obviously Jets liked Glenn too, but it's really hard to tell who will be better. I think Saleh felt Ulbrich can better implement the defense that Saleh envisions, being defensive guy himself, so looking forward to see how this works out. Interestingly, Dan Quinn and Raheem Morris, who were Ulbrich's bosses in Atlanta, became DCs for Dallas and Rams. Somehow these defensive guys in Atlanta are valued, even though their defense was shit.

14. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Is this guy getting his team ready for MMA fights? How far the Lions have fallen after firing Caldwell!

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. Red Menace

Or bite their kneecap!

Borat likes this.
  16. Red Menace

All I did was laugh.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I don't know too many MMA fighters who are trying to bite opponent's kneecaps on the way up. Not the successful ones anyway.

Red Menace likes this.
  18. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Dan Campbell’s press conference was one of the cringiest things I’ve seen in a long time. No idea how people are falling for that in the year 2021.

PJ4Ever, Red Menace and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Um is he coaching the Lions or a team of actual housecats?

20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

If people can fall for Leveon Bell, they can fall for anything.

Vahncase and Jonathan_Vilma like this.