The Deshaun Watson Situation (POLL added for the potential price)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Rockinz, Jan 16, 2021.

?

What is the MOST you would give up to get Watson?

1. Just the #2 pick

24 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. The two 1's and 3 we got from Seattle

37 vote(s)
    27.2%
  3. The #2, Seattles first in 2022, our 1st in 2023

55 vote(s)
    40.4%
  4. More - just get it done.

20 vote(s)
    14.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

He's not being traded and he's CLEARLY telling "those close to him" to exaggerate his desire to get out to make the Texans sweat.

I can see through this crap from a mile away. Don't be fooled.....this is all about increasing his marketability, more $$$ down the line from the Texans, and showing Who's Boss to McNair, Easterly, and Casserio.

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I know I directed this question at one person last time but as I re-read it, I really would like to get everyone's opinion here. Try to put your Jets bias and trade preference aside and give us how you'd describe this team's outlook:

-26 year old elite QB in his prime
    -stud sophomore LT
    -stud DT, defensive building block
    -2021 first, 2021 second, two 2021 thirds
    -2022 first, 2022 second, 2022 third
    -more day 2/3 picks coming in from an impending trade
    -$70 mil to spend
    -top coach on the market

JetsKickAss likes this.
  3. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

This is your opinion only that is the point, you do not know wtf JD will do from 1 minute to the next, you just don't.

He may well have had a total rebuild from the QB up but you don't want that either do you?

He also may want to trade down and grab loads of picks for the #2.

But and the big but is this, 2 years ago when he started making his grand plan and then 1 week ago he didn't know one of the leagues best QB's would supposedly want a trade and he wouldn't be any kind of a GM if he then didn't take this into consideration one way or the other but like I said you do not know what he is thinking, you are the same as me some mug punter on a forum spouting shite 90% of the time.

I am happy to go all ways if JD thinks it is the best plan, it is pointless throwing out threats of 'I'm done if he does this, that or the other' I would have been gone if Gase was still here but that is another sad tale but hopefully consigned to the trash bin of life.

The thing is Watson is a sure-fire hit and not one other draft prospect is and Sam is probably shot but out of all the options I still think you will get your way and we trade down and but in doing so we will see Sam back as QB.

If Watson goes to Miami we may well fuck ourselves for the next 10 years just as Brady's legacy is over.

ouchy likes this.
  4. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Have thought about this some more and I'm out on any deal involving the #2 and an additional first rounder. It's just too much at that point. The #2 is worth either 2 first rounders in the 10-15 range or 3 first rounders at 15+. The #2 alone is basically 2-3 first round picks, so if we couple it with another first rounder we're talking 3-4 first rounders. 3 I can stomach, 4 I cannot.

Having said that, it seems like the latest rumblings are that we aren't really in the running anyway. JD has shown he can be patient in the past, I agree with Br4d that his best move is to let the situation develop and hope he can fleece the Texans at some point if they get desperate.

ouchy and Jets79 like this.
  5. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

You know what REALLY bothers me about this whole thing?

if only MacCagnan would have done what ANY qualified GM of a team without a QB would have done a few years ago, he’d have drafted Watson or Mahomes straight up at 6 and we’d not be having this conversation.

the blunders that moron made continue to haunt this team even now. God I’m glad he’s gone!

Of course, i do realize that if any of Fields, Wilson, Trask, etc, end up becoming great players, we’ll be saying why oh why did JD trade a gazillion picks for Watson when he could have just drafted Fields and kept all the picks?

man hindsight is 20/20, but to be fair, I think many if not most of us wanted the QB instead of the safety in that draft.

REVISion likes this.
  6. Terminated117

Terminated117 Active Member

Y’know what, I’m starting to think this same thing. As much as I love the idea of this dude suiting up in gang green, I don’t think it’s likely. Just from a franchise/organization standpoint Houston already looks bad after the DeAndre Hopkins trade and coaching drama, but if they let DeShaun Watson go, they go from looking bad to now being a straight-up clown show. You just can’t let a guy like Watson leave without making it right somehow. If they do, it could be damning for their future for a long time. I mean what respectable coach, GM or player is going to seriously consider them seeing how they handle talent? Nah, they gotta make this work with Watson. If they lose this dude, I mean ..just , wow

JetsKickAss likes this.
  7. chad2coles

chad2coles Well-Known Member

I can see why you're against trading for Watson if that's the decision that you think Douglas is facing.

In reality, Watson hasn't said or done anything on social media that signals chaos. Schefter has reported people who work for the Texans don't expect Watson to take another snap for them. What exactly is Watson doing that makes you think he is "wiping his ass with the contract he just signed"?

3 first round picks, especially if they are spread out over the next 3 drafts, would not be trading away all the assets the Jets have acquired. They would still have more than a pick in every round for the next 2 drafts and would have filled the most important position in football with a top 3 talent and he would be on a team friendly deal.

8. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The smart GMs get a lot of extra capital in the first year and use it all on rebuilding while keeping a placeholder at QB. That is where we are this year. JD seems to be of this philosophy so I don't see him taking any QB with a first rounder this season. Personally I agree its the smart path.

Miami is going to be a problem no matter what because they have rebuilt properly. They are about 3 blue chip players away from being a complete and scary team - and they have 4 top 50 picks this draft to complete this. If they want to give up those picks for Watson I'd be okay with that.

9. Kevin Randall

Kevin Randall Member

This is Deshaun Watson we're talking about.

We're not talking top 5 in the draft, we're talking top 5 in the league.

Oh and can people against trading please stop saying "all our picks" cos that's simply not the case.

10. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I don't know man, rolling with Sam Darnold and 3 rookies sounds great!

BroadwayAaron likes this.
  11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Because nobody is going to give them a big package for Watson in these circumstances. The Fins just picked a QB high in the 1st round last year and then went 6-2 in his starts.

The Texans are going to keep Deshaun Watson for the year unless he gouges them in a way that they cannot ignore. If he chooses to do that it won't drive up his price.

JetsKickAss and ouchy like this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The smart GM's build a winning franchise through both the draft and free agency and that includes all rounds of the draft.

There are more than one ways to build a franchise and it should be done quickly in the NFL. You're trying too hard to make this into a methodical cookie cutter approach where there's only one way to do it.

We have a lot of draft capital. We should use that to get better players. The Seahawks did this in 2011 and 2012 and their draft capital over the course of those two years started with two total first round picks, one second round pick and two total third round picks. And they damn near built a dynasty if they run the ball in the goal to go situation.

There isn't one end all be all strategy or a need for X amount of picks in X amount of rounds. You need to pull a couple starters and a couple contributors (even if special teams or depth linebackers and what not) from each draft. And sign free agents that fit the teams culture and identity without overpaying to get them there while maintaining flexibility in their contracts to usually cut them after their second year there.

NYJFOREVER and CotcheryFan like this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I get watson is a fantastic player but trading away all your picks rarely works. seattle just did it for us and their D is awful and they don't have a 1st in the next 2 drafts. they got bounced out of the playoffs. houston did it and only won 4 games with watson.

If you look at the real cost of what people are saying here (3 1sts and a 2nd) plus the fact he'll count for almost 30% of the cap in 2022 and following years i'm not sure we can build a good team around him. those 4 picks could be pro bowlers plus with the money saved on watsons contract we could sign a-rob and schreff. use the draft picks to fill out the roster. even if your over sam and want a QB you can have a cheap rookie QB and 3 more potential starters with those picks. I'm just not sure it's worth it long term

14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If we're thinking long term, given Watson is a 25 year old elite QB, he'll probably be in the league longer than any rookie we can draft this year or next.

Yankjetfan and FJF like this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

Same thing was said about stafford and how has his success been? bad teams will be bad because of coaching and FO even with a stud QB. The pats were roster wise one of the worst teams if not the worst in the NFL this year and they still won 7 games. they won a game 45-0 with their QB throwing for 69 yards. we need to build a team. 1 player won't fix that. giving up 4 picks to land 1 player creates holes plus his 40 mil cap hit a year and the cap has gone down because of covid.

16. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I'm not so sure here though. Contrary to what some TGG posters want to believe, Watson has drug social media into this, implying he wants out without actually saying trade me. He has the whole league in an uproar with the Texans management at the center of the storm. And he is not doing anything to quill it. Even the Texan fans are losing patience with him. Watson returning to to Houston in 2021 could be a toxic, probably losing environment.

Maybe they haven't passed the point of no return yet but if Watson doesn't take action to smooth things over soon its time to fish or cut bait. Right now there is an amount of hype around getting Watson. If the Texans want the most they can get a deal will be made within the next week or two.

17. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Stafford isn't anywhere near Watson's level.

18. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I'm looking at this Watson scenario from a "solve the QB position" standpoint. I truly believe that we have a glaring hole at QB. We've had 2 QB's crack a 90 passer rating in the past 20 years....and one was McCown (the other was Pennington).

We went to to AFC championship games with a terrible QB but that won't fly in the modern day NFL. And while I won't blame Sanchez for the AFC championship losses, he was definitely to blame for not having a single home game in those playoff runs and that definitely factored into the eventual outcome.

So if the choice comes down to trading for a top 3, young and proven franchise QB, rolling the dice that we strike gold and find one in the draft or Sam miraculously becoming a top 5 QB, I'm picking trade every time. I don't buy the notion that the team is devoid of talent. We're not. I don't buy the notion that we will have given up all our draft capital and have nothing left. And draft picks are only as good as the player they pick. Whiffing on one or two of those first rounders is killer. As far as I'm concerned we missed badly on Darnold (who we traded up for) and Sanchez (him too). Two decades of crappy QB play. Enough.

I've seen the Jets build up a team but not have a QB. Didn't work. At this point I'll take a shot with a potential HoF QB and a decent team around him. I'd certainly enjoy watching high level QB play from a Jets QB. I've honestly forgotten what that looks like.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Yankjetfan, Jets81 and Jets4eva9011 like this.
  19. GasedAndConfused

disagree. he may not be as good but stafford has been a top 6-7 QB in the NFL for over a decade. watson is only in his 3rd year. stafford is one of only a few QBs to throw for 5000 yards in a season. he has 38 game winning drives and 31 comebacks. he's thrown for over 4k yards 8 times. you are really underrating stafford

20. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

Stafford has most definitely not been a top 6-7 QB for over a decade, lol. Top 10-15? Sure, maybe that.

Regardless, Watson is better than Stafford.

bicketybam likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.