The Deshaun Watson Situation (POLL added for the potential price)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Rockinz, Jan 16, 2021.

?

What is the MOST you would give up to get Watson?

1. Just the #2 pick

24 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. The two 1's and 3 we got from Seattle

37 vote(s)
    27.2%
  3. The #2, Seattles first in 2022, our 1st in 2023

55 vote(s)
    40.4%
  4. More - just get it done.

20 vote(s)
    14.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

What do you actually believe?

2. chad2coles

chad2coles Well-Known Member

I don't know why only QBs aren't able to request trades, but Eli Manning and John Elway both forced trades with 6 years of team control as rookies.

3. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

That sting would go away quick when you see Watson in green week 1.

Not a big part of the equation but keep in mind also that even a very good GM hits around 2 out of those 3 first rounders, so you’re giving up less when you think about it that way.

NCJetsfan, FJF, Wut? and 1 other person like this.
  4. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I don’t know what’s true or not....they called and he didn’t answer, they didn’t call...blah blah blah. Somebody’s lying

in this day and age, it’s not hard to get hold of people

all that being said...

I love the player. Period. I wanted Mac to draft him at the time.

I hate that he’s making this a thing....I don’t think players should be bitching about being involved in GM or coaching searches....I get being consulted on coaching as that’s close to the player and it makes sense to make sure that it would work, but not the GM....to me that’s a bit much

I also hate that he’s bitching literally months after signing his deal....not a great sign....how many here criticized Revis for that? I’m not as hung up on the “honor your contract” talk track because teams cut players under contract all day every day....so it’s a two way street. I think if a team can cut a player for underperforming to their contract, then the player has the same right to demand a new deal when they overperform. But this is not that case...this isn’t a player demanding more because he’s underpaid...this is a player that looks like he’s trying to get out of town because he disagrees with ownership on some off field stuff which really shouldn’t be his business to begin with...literally months after signing, so it’s not a great look. If he was so ticked off at mgmt why’d he sign a long term deal? He could’ve waited for free agency.

However, outside of this, I’ve only ever heard he’s a great kid and standup guy. And since we don’t know what really happened behind the scenes, I could get past it...

Still, I’m not sure I’m on board with three first round picks....I get he’s great, but we have SO many needs and that #2 overall is worth a lot....either a potential franchise QB (if you believe Fields or Wilson are FQBs) or a trade down for a bunch. I’m not sure about a quick fix....that being said....he HAS taken that team to the playoffs a bunch of times

I’m sure JD has considered it, and I’m not surprised if the talk that he’s already reached out to Houston is true..I’d bet he has. He’s always said he’d listen to any call made.

I do think JD wants to build a solid foundation and use the draft, and based on his dealings last draft, I’d expect that if a trade is made, it’d be for a reasonable exchange.

but damn, Watson here with a few more weapons would elevate us a ton

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Then you’d probably have to throw in the 2021 2nd and 4th

6. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

The sting will go away when the Jets are playing their first playoff game in 11 years.

NCJetsfan, FJF, K'OB and 1 other person like this.
  7. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

I’m just used to our off-season being our regular season.

REVISion likes this.
  8. MaximusD163

On a factual level, he can’t force it that’s true. However he can sit out, he is financially stable enough and he make absolutely make a big enough stink that he is moved. He isn’t walking away from $200 million, only what he is owed for 2021. Also, Ownership are real people, and they do get embarrassed, and can you even for one second imagine this Texans team with no picks until the 3rd round trying to field a team in 2021 with no Deshaun Watson? If he truly wants out, it will happen.

9. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

No they hadn’t. They had 1 year of control because they hadn’t signed a contract and would only have had to sit out one year — exactly the period of time I stated a player has leverage in.

10. MaximusD163

For sure. I think there is absolutely something to ask yourself though, would you make that trade package for Patrick Mahomes? Because Watson is basically there. Mahomes had the luxury of going to a totally different situation, and I do believe Mahomes is better but it’s not much of a gap at all. Watson would be in the MVP consideration if he wasn’t on a team that couldn’t stop a pop Warner offense.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  11. MaximusD163

The thing is neither Elway, Manning, nor Watson had or have anything to do with contract reasons. The 1 year thing really only has anything to do with contract negotiations. Players are traded regularly with any number of years on their contracts remaining, whether they want it or not. How many times was Brandin Cooks traded? If there was any real issue with a player requesting a trade, their contracts would make it illegal.

12. JetBlue

Yes, he would only be forfeiting his pay over year at a time, but after sitting out 2021 for only $10 million loss, he’s still under contract from 22-25 where he has $120 million dollars due, which he ain’t walking away from. And he would either have to play for the Texans or not play at all and not get paid.

13. amuck57

amuck57 Active Member

would love to have him but not at the price that comes with him and what we would have to give up.

14. JetBlue

Players getting traded is not the discussion. The discussion is a player forcing a trade the team doesn’t want to make, which requires the player to have leverage. The Texans would have to believe Watson would be willing to walk away from $120 million and five years of his career, and thus destroy trade value they could get for him, to ever feel compelled to trade him.

15. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I don't want a shitty QB shoved in my face every time I watch the Jets, but I've had 3 years of it. You'll adjust.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

16. MaximusD163

Do you think even for one second they let the 2021 draft pass them by if they haven’t resolved the relationship by then? Imagine a Texans team that went 4-12, lost players to free agency, and had to cut vets just to get under the cap, and couldn’t draft a player until the 3rd round? All without any answer at QB? They would probably go 1-15 at best. That team is awful. Fans would revolt. Fans are mad at the team, not Watson, because they have a horrible track record. No one would show up to those games.

Jets4eva9011 likes this.
  17. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

people act as if nobody else will want him and that he isnt a legitimate bonafide top 3 qb in the league. its going to take a shitload to get him. i would hope that option 3 would make it happen but i kind of doubt it.

18. MaximusD163

They do not need to believe that. The Texans have a bad team and no assets. All they need to believe is that he’d walk away from his salary for 1 year.

Snatch Catch likes this.
  19. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

I have no idea how San Fran would get him, but I’m thinking Miami is for sure higher in the list. There is a new GM but would they risk getting embarrassed in yet another trade with them?

20. JetBlue

No, because he’d still have to come back the next year to get paid, and the year after and the year after that and the year after that. He’s good enough to have him sit out a year if you know he will have to come back the year after, and you have him for four more years after that point.

that’s the beauty of a long term contract. The argument that it’s just one year is nonsensical.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.