2019 Darnold vs 2020 darnold. WTF happened? (a short analysis)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Jan 20, 2021.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Watching this video a few big things I notice are. Sam loves the TE. he had great success with herndon in year 1 and then we signed griffin who took over for an injured herndon and had a great season. he shows up a lot in these highlights. Robby doesn't show up as much but he opens the field with his speed and hits the big plays. Sam loves working the middle. most of his success is going to the slot guys (thomas and crowder) and the TEs as well as RBs on wheel routes. Bell makes a lot of plays too out of the backfield. even though bell may have lost a step and was overpaid his ability in the pass game was extremely helpful.

Sam looked poised, confident, like a young brett favre just slinging it. so where did it go wrong?

Bells under-usage and eventual release hurt a lot. gore isn't a receiver and at his age wasn't even a RB. just poor usage of players

Lack of talent - thomas wasn't retained, griffin wasn't the same since the injury, herndon had a slump, bell was underused and released, robby was allowed to walk and replaced with perriman who was bad. The only consistent was crowder who continued to impress. herndon was never allowed any rythem, berrios was used to offset bell on wheel routes to some success but not as well. a WR in the backfield isn't a run threat and tips the hat. It really stinks of poor decisions on signing players and bad coaching.

It won't be the popular opinion but sam has potential. with laflaur calling plays instead of gase and some additon of talent at the WR and RB spot sam could bounce back. his 1st to 2nd year improvement was good but losing that much talent in 1 offseason of your favorite targets and your TE not bouncing back from an injury really hurt sam. I know fans are ready to move on but that may not be ideal for us. I think gase and to an extent JD really let him down

On a sidenote, every video i watch crowder is the most impressive player on our offense. he was easily the best FA signing mac ever had for us in a pile of shit ones.

EDIT:
    went back to look at his rookie year as well

Few things I notice are skill position turnover. in rookie year he had enunwa, robby, pryor, herndon, and powell out of the backfield

2019 only one left is robby. replaced with crowder, griffin, and bell

2020 robby gone (nobody from 2018 left) griffin wasn't the same, bell was underused and released mid season. plus with injuries he was having berrios and hogan as starters

young Qbs need skill players to grow with them they are comfortable with. arizona got nuk, buffalo got diggs. sam needs his guy.

Our offense looked pretty smooth in 2018 all things considered. morton did a good job calling plays. we had a group of JAG WRs outside of robby with enunwa, pryor, and kearse. all 3 were out of the NFL 2 years later. herndon performed as a rookie. our 2 RBs pilal and crowell were also out of the NFL in 2 years.

2018 PPG 20.8 (ranked 23rd)
    2019 PPG 17.3 (ranked 31st)
    2020 PPG 15.2 (ranked 32nd)

gase killed sam and the offense

#1 GasedAndConfused, Jan 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

What happened is the schedule went from the easiest in the NFL to the hardest in the NFL.

3. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

If there's one dead horse we don't need to beat any longer it's Darnold. Good guy, terrible QB. He needs to go but I wish him all the best.

zace, Jets69, PJ4Ever and 3 others like this.
  4. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

And the coaching remained just as bad.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

We also had 4 new players on the oline with a rookie LT, and zero preseason games for the oline to jell. Some of the best olines are together for years. But our was brand new with zero reps before the season started, not even a single inter-division practice game. nada. It took our oline the better part of the season to jell. Really around the time Flacco filled in was the beginning our our oline playing good together.

6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Ghosts happened.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  7. GasedAndConfused

If you wanted to make that argument it would have to be the strength of defenses we played.

Jets had the hardest schedule in 2020 but in 2019 we had the hardest 1st half and easiest 2nd half but i'm not sure what it balanced out to but it wasn't the easiest. no way. I can't find any historical SOS though

JetsKickAss likes this.
  8. DMarsh6

DMarsh6 Active Member

I can't believe there are people who watched him play last year and still want him back. He looked as bad as Sanchez towards the end of his career here.

9. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Game 5 vs. Arizona?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Was that the first game Mims played?

11. GasedAndConfused

I can't believe people who watched him for 3 years thinks he has no potential. You could say the same thing about josh allen in year 1 and 2. or drew brees his 1st 3 years. fans have no patience

azhar80, truthbtold, Andy_M and 3 others like this.
  12. HomeoftheJets

We had the easiest schedule in 2019. https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other?date=2020-02-03

And the strength of the opposing offenses matters too because a strong opposing offense means our quarterback has to do more and can't just be a game manager.

13. REVISion

My god man, how many times do we have to say this? Citing outliers like Brees and Allen is foolish. For every one of them there are 50 guys who started their careers like Darnold and never significantly improved.

Potential means nothing, consistency is everything. Potential also implies that Darnold sometimes has good or very good games which just isn't the case. He averaged under 200 yards passing per game and under 1 TD per game this year. He passed for over 250 yards a single time all year, in the very last game of the season.

Enough of this. We've all said these things 1000 times already.

zace, IDFjet, NYJFOREVER and 3 others like this.
  14. GasedAndConfused

Thats not SOS it's a modified stat. we had the toughest in 2020 but we are listed 12th in 2020 on that site. I can't find the actual SOS for 2019 but no way were we the easiest since he had the toughest 1st half.

I can get your argument with QBs having to do more well playing from behind but even if that's the case with how bad our defense started and large blowouts couldn't you say sam had it so tough this year it isn't even fair?

I get that but players take time to develop some more then others. we have a new coaching staff now. a pretty new GM (only 1 offseason so far) what if JD and saleh decide to keep sam and not draft a QB? are people here going to be pissed or trust the process?

15. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure it was the first for Flacco as a starter

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

16. REVISion

If they don't take a QB at some point in the first round I will consider them idiots.

bicketybam likes this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

and you can as a fan. doesn't make them wrong though. we could opt for mac jones in the 2nd if he slips as well would that still make them idiots?

18. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

excuses for Sam thread numer 99 x 10nth

REVISion, bicketybam and PJ4Ever like this.
  19. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

I realized Sam sucked when Joe Flacco came in and looked like a Pro Bowler for a couple games (I jest, but the offense was at least functional.) Flacco is WASHED. Sam Darnold is worse than a WASHED Joe Flacco, who was never very good anyway, and you just made a thread arguing to retain him over any myriad number of better options they have to replace him. Go reflect upon what you’ve done....

REVISion likes this.
  20. HomeoftheJets

Looks like the Jets were tied for the 5th easiest schedule in 2019. https://www.nfl.com/news/2020-nfl-d...-redskins-secure-second-pick-0ap3000001093168