The Elephant that needs to be adressed

Discussion in 'Draft' started by cbman13, Jan 19, 2021.

1. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

I like the tackle from Oregon just fine... He's gonna be a great pro. Here's my question.... Why would he or Bechton go along with a move from Left tackle to Right Tackle? Business wise it makes no sense for either of them. The last thing we need now that we are starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel is to draft a potential holdout/locker room problem just my two cents

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

JetsKickAss, NCJetsfan and REVISion like this.
  2. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I’m not sure he’s in play at 2 or really for us because of what you stated with Becton. I can’t see us using the 2nd pick on anything else than a QB or Smith. I see JD moving back unless he falls in love with Fields after the interview and pro day

westiedog1 likes this.
  3. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Penei Sewell is absolutely the wrong pick for the Jets at 2. With the Jets offense in stink mode for the last three or four years, that must be addressed with a pick this high. I would prefer the Jets keep Sam at QB and build playmakers around him, but if they want to go in a different direction at QB then this is the time. The Jets took a pretty good OT prospect last draft, no need to take another one this high.

boozer32 likes this.
  4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

The right move is to get the bengals to come up from 5 to take the tackle. Then at 5 take fields or Wilson, whoever Atlanta doesn’t take.
    That’s what Houston should do after they trade us Watson.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'm sure this is something that the organization would approach both players with if they're seriously considering them. It would be brought up at the combine interview and if he's a no go at right tackle then you don't draft him.

Red Menace and J-Raw24 like this.
  6. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I brought this up in the Sewell thread and the response was basically "just plan to trade Becton or Sewell after their rookie contract is up".

I can't fathom wanting to use the #2 and #11 overall picks on guys with the intention of trading them after their rookie deal. I don't even know where to start with that idea it's so preposterous.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Miami would trade Fields so fast it would make you head spin and if Atlanta does want a QB they would take Wilson. If the Texans are at #2 they wont trade it. But the odds of us trading for Watson are not very good anyways.

westiedog1 likes this.
  8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I can see Miami staying and taking surtain. Flores has to love him. I think they would rather take Sewell though that’s why someone will jump them if given the chance.
    it will be interesting to see what the Texans do. They will hold the key to the whole draft.

9. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I feel like the real elephant In the room should be why people still spell Becton with an H as in Bechton?

It’s really annoying.

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  10. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Whether the Jets Stay at #2 or trade down is debatable of course but I don’t see them drafting Sewell in either event.

westiedog1 and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

12. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

My question is, what direction do you go in if you dont like the QBs and arent able to trade down?

Do you take a WR? I dont see Joe D taking a WR that early. I dont see a pass rusher good enough for number two either.

Personally, I think they'll go QB. If it turns out they dont like the QBs, I think Sewell is going to be the pick.

13. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I think Smith or Chase are worthy picks for the Jets at 2 if they have to stay there and are committed to keeping Sam. The Jets, right now, need to score points, and to score points you need playmakers.

#13 westiedog1, Jan 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Rebuilding teams tend to to take QB, OT and WR with high picks. They're all high impact picks. WR's tend to take an extra year to develop so ideally if you are going to have a young QB and a young WR as your franchise connection it makes sense to draft the WR a year earlier than the QB.

Cowboys took Irvin in '88 and then Aikman in '89.
    Dolphins took Duper in '82 and then Marino and Clayton in '83.
    Colts took Harrison in '96 and then Peyton in '98.

It pays off for a lot of teams to get a good young receiver in the system and then go get the QB when the receiver has his feet on the ground.

Jets did land Mims last year and hopefully he'll have his feet on the ground before they land the QB.

RochesterJet and Red Menace like this.
  15. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Those are good examples, but a bit dated. The most recent example is over 20 years old, and the others are 30. Obviously if it played out like above, you wouldn't get a complaint from me.

More recently I'm looking at WRs taken in the top 10. In the last few years, you get Corey Davis, Mike Williams, John Ross, Amari Cooper, Kevin White, Sammy Watkins, Mike Evans, Tavon Austin. Some hits for sure, but nothing earth shattering besides Mike Evans.

I'd be fine taking a WR with 1B or 2, but 1A is a little rich for my blood when QB/Trading down are options.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

A few years back I would agree with you. These days NFL rosters are revolving doors. I just looked at the Jets roster and Marcus Maye was the only guy I saw with 4 years of NFL action as solely a NY Jet. Everyone else played for other teams or had less years. Getting 4 years of service and then being able to recoup a first rounder+ isn’t the worst strategy (Jamal Adams).

With that, I’m not against trading down out of #2 and taking a WR or Pitts (who I think will be a bigger difference maker in the NFL)... I just don’t see a Randy Moss type talent who I want to take at #2.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

George Fant played really well last year and he's only 28. I think we trade down from the #2 or draft J. Chase

I do love the idea of Becton and Swell on the same line together (Becton moves to RT as Swell is projected as gold jacket potential). This also allows for future flexibility with trades to restock draft capital for a Tackle needy team in 2-3 years. I could see a scenario where we do draft Swell and then trade either he or Becton in 2-3 years for another 1st

18. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I agree that would alot of high draft prospects tied up in the offensive line. We need so much and alot of it will depend on who we get in free agency.