The Deshaun Watson Situation (POLL added for the potential price)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Rockinz, Jan 16, 2021.

?

What is the MOST you would give up to get Watson?

1. Just the #2 pick

24 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. The two 1's and 3 we got from Seattle

37 vote(s)
    27.2%
  3. The #2, Seattles first in 2022, our 1st in 2023

55 vote(s)
    40.4%
  4. More - just get it done.

20 vote(s)
    14.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Certainly, on paper, Miami is the biggest threat, but remember when LaBron wound up on the Lakers when everyone said it couldn't happen because the Lakers had no cap room, etc.? Or even how could the Patriots continue to afford Brady? I realize I'm just being paranoid, but just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there's nothing to be afraid of.:eek:

NCJetsfan, HomeoftheJets and K'OB like this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Of course they can request a trade although that's not a negotiated power into a contract. It's simply a request that does not have to be honored.

He only has such power because he plays the premium position and he's an excellent player entering his prime. It's not a good precedent for the league though. It's what will ultimately drive the NBA into the ground especially when the end result has been super teams that have essentially killed parity since the 1990s.

Not to say the NBA has ever had a lot of parity but most of the lower seeds in the 1980s and 1990s at least had a fighting chance. Now? Seeds 5-8 are generally roll overs.

It makes it worse because he signed a long term contract five months ago. It's not as if he's been treading water there on his current deal for a couple years.

REVISion likes this.
  3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

All that tells me is the agent is a sleazeball with a big mouth.

Rockinz and HomeoftheJets like this.
  4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Probably.

NYJFOREVER and The Dark Knight like this.
  5. chad2coles

chad2coles Well-Known Member

He doesn't have to do it all by himself. Even after trading 3 1st round picks and other late round picks, the Jets can still have more than their full set of picks in each of the next 2 years. The Jets will have as much cap room as any team in Joe Douglas's 2nd offseason where there will more free agent talent with less available league-wide cap space than possibly any other year. And when Watson's cap his goes up the following year, the increase in the cap will cover nearly all of that increase.

Catfish Billy likes this.
  6. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

Yep. And free agents will go to the place with:

1) The most money offered
    2) The best situation

No WR is going to be moved by catching passes from Sam Darnold. Securing Watson makes New York an attractive destination for dudes like Allen Robinson, Chris Godwin, and Kenny Golladay.

NCJetsfan and dawinner127 like this.
  7. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

the cap likely won't increase for a while because of covid. the cap next year is higher then it should be becuase the NFLPA and NFL agreed to a floor but it's borrowed time and deferred money. the cap next year is essentially a credit card without interest

8. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I’m sure he is. No doubt looking to gain leverage in the current situation. Hopefully if there’s no actual interest or intent, JD shuts it down sooner rather than later.

9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Come on man, as of noon today facts are making a comeback!

Under most proposed trades we would keep first round picks this year and next year and would also have our full allotment behind that round with the exception of maybe a day two pick… But we also have an extra one from Seattle and most likely would get one from trading Sam. Not to mention the insane amount of money we would still have to spend in free agency even after trading for Watson. Our situation isn’t even comparable to Houston’s.

Fiftynine and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I know this is an unfashionable thought for a lot of people but guess what? Everyone who is saying the Texans were so bad even with Deshaun Watson does not seem to realize that the Jets don’t actually have the worst roster in the league. They are better than the Jaguars and the Texans as well.

The Texans have no Quinnen Williams. They’re offensive line is actually worse than the Jets. They have no Marcus Maye. They don’t even have a Denzel Mims, or a Jamison Crowder. They have injury plagued JJ Watt, and Laremy Tunsil, as well as concussion prone Brandin Cooks.

Acquiring Watson and some savvy off-season moves would make the Jets 2021 playoff contenders, and likely championship contenders in 2022. The Jets roster is poor, but it’s not the worst, and QB is the biggest issue. Watson took the Texans to the playoffs in 2019 and they only lost a couple of guys between 2019 and 2020.

11. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

thank you for the explanation, not a fan of Basketball tbh lol

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Why would he shut something down when no one is actually addressing the team? If I were him I wouldn't address the situation at all, this assuming the Jets aren't pursuing it. Just speaking on the subject is risking a possible tampering charge.

13. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

My offer would be 2 1st 1 this year and 1 next year and a 3rd. Take it or leave it... And I bet someone goes higher than that

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

14. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

Don't be so sure. Watson has an NTC, don't forget. He can still dictate which teams he'd want to be traded to or not.

15. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

He can address is pretty easily without naming a specific player. In the end, he doesn’t have to do anything at all, and maybe he wont.

16. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I have no doubt that adding Watson with a “fair” trade, adding the free agents needed as well as hitting on enough of the draft picks we will be a contender.

It makes zero sense to add Watson if you’re not going to spend all of the free agent money and/ or get completely gutted with the draft picks

17. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

I’m in the camp of who wouldn’t like Watson but what will it cost

some parallels to Jamal suggest 3 firsts or at least our #2 plus another first

very tough decision. Feel better with that than gambling on fields of Wilson

we have so many holes that I am biased towards picks but this would fill a major hole. We still major upgrades all over the place

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The Texans have one of the best WR stables in the league with Cooks, Cobb, Fuller, and Coutee.

19. chad2coles

chad2coles Well-Known Member

Right. Just look at the numbers Robby Anderson had his first year away from the Gase mess. The receivers currently on the Jets roster would benefit from Watson throwing them the ball and so would Allen Robinson coming from Chicago's below average QB's to Watson.

Catfish Billy likes this.
  20. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

That’s certainly not true. Cobb is a good slot, Fuller is solid but was suspended half the season and often injured. He is also a FA and unlikely to return. Cooks is pretty good but will for sure be a cap casualty.

Ray Lucas and KY Jets Fan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.